News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Not so fantasy idea, but TTC should put GO Lines on their map to create a Toronto rail map, instead of a pathetic, two-line map

But it's not a Subway or Rapid Transit (yet).

Especially now with GO fares set at $3 within Toronto, it should show up on the map.

The Montreal map at least acknowledges the existence of their commuter rail network, even though it's not any more frequent than the GO network. They even include the commuter rail map below the system map in the subway:

map-interactive.gif

AMT_map630x330.jpg

Especially now with GO fares set at $3 within Toronto, it should show up on the map.

The Montreal map at least acknowledges the existence of their commuter rail network, even though it's not any more frequent than the GO network. They even include the commuter rail map below the system map in the subway:

map-interactive.gif

AMT_map630x330.jpg

There is weekend service on several RTM (formerly AMT), lines but it's limited - every two-three hours on the Deux-Montanges Line (a bit better on Saturdays than Sundays) and only 3-4 daily round trips on the Vaudreuil Line. On the Saint-Jérôme Line, it'd be like running the Barrie Line only as far south as Downsview Park and forcing a transfer to the subway (though I concede that it's an awkward route to Luicen-L'Allier). There are no train-buses. GO really spoils Lakeshore Line communities by comparison.

The STCUM used to be responsible for the commuter lines before the provincial agency took them over 1997, that might be one reason why they're shown on the STM maps.

Boston's subway maps show commuter lines as well, but they're controlled by the same agency.

The TTC's subway maps suffer from their poor dimensions. If the TTC adopted a portrait subway maps beside the doors with line-only maps above the doors (like New York), I could see the GO and UPX lines depicted on the subway network maps.

There is weekend service on several RTM (formerly AMT), lines but it's limited - every two-three hours on the Deux-Montanges Line (a bit better on Saturdays than Sundays) and only 3-4 daily round trips on the Vaudreuil Line. On the Saint-Jérôme Line, it'd be like running the Barrie Line only as far south as Downsview Park and forcing a transfer to the subway (though I concede that it's an awkward route to Luicen-L'Allier). There are no train-buses. GO really spoils Lakeshore Line communities by comparison.

The STCUM used to be responsible for the commuter lines before the provincial agency took them over 1997, that might be one reason why they're shown on the STM maps.

Boston's subway maps show commuter lines as well, but they're controlled by the same agency.

The TTC's subway maps suffer from their poor dimensions. If the TTC adopted a portrait subway maps beside the doors with line-only maps above the doors (like New York), I could see the GO and UPX lines depicted on the subway network maps.
Or, instead of having 6:1 ratio maps, have something more like 2:1 or 4:3. There needs to be more height when it comes to the rapid transit map on subways. Lets hope the next new subway trains have a larger area for lights and paper maps, or have a dynamic screen dedicated to the map, that cycles through the entire system map and zoomed in around the area of the line map. Obviously the latter would use much more current technology and be preferred.

Define "Rapid"

It may not be frequent, but I would argue that GO trains are quite rapid.

A slow crawling GO train is still faster than a streetcar, but it doesn't appear that way due to the effects of scale.

A large vehicle going 40kmh looks slow compared to a small one going 30.

Back