News   Apr 24, 2024
 750     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 569     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Would it also have to potential to be used by Line 3 trains? Or would they only need to use Greenwood?

I don't see why not, they'd probably be able to build connecting tracks between the two lines near Fairview Mall. Probably not for regular service but for operations I can see this reducing the need for another huge rail yard if the Relief line gets built.

I made some edits to the TTC Future Map:
6W45pkd.png
Great map!

I would do two soft changes:
(1) have the Spadina-Vaughan line feed into the Relief Line 2
(2) return to the once-tested interlining using the wye junction at St George station, to send every second train down University.

Decided to also play around with the TTC Future Map.

Spadina_RL_Concept.png

Splitting the Spadina and Yonge-University line to protect both lines from service disruptions on the other side.

I took the opportunity to send the Relief Line up the Spadina Extension because without a western leg of the Relief Line, why not?

Attachments

• Spadina_RL_Concept.png
    Spadina_RL_Concept.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 2,170
So in that 2043 map that it’s based on there would be a Sheppard stump in existence for 40 years. Maybe at least the in between stations could get decent use by then.

Decided to also play around with the TTC Future Map.

View attachment 134048

Splitting the Spadina and Yonge-University line to protect both lines from service disruptions on the other side.

I took the opportunity to send the Relief Line up the Spadina Extension because without a western leg of the Relief Line, why not?
Not sure what happening at Osgoode.

1. Is DRL going up University or making the curve after University and intersecting with Spadina Station and then making a big curve to get back to University near Museum?
  2. You now have a continuous DRL where the Allen Expressway leg can affect the Don Mills leg. Same problem you wanted to solve?
  3. Are you reverting back to the interlining B-D and Y-U of old?

Not sure what happening at Osgoode.

1. Is DRL going up University or making the curve after University and intersecting with Spadina Station and then making a big curve to get back to University near Museum?
The DRL is going up University. I did not give it much thought about how it will curve into the University tunnel. I suppose the curve might make Osgoode an impossible transfer station. Maybe reconciled with having the Spadina-DRL trains bypass Osgoode for a 'City Hall' station on Queen?

1. You now have a continuous DRL where the Allen Expressway leg can affect the Don Mills leg. Same problem you wanted to solve?
Crowding on the DRL won't be too bad and the system and tracks will be new. Hopefully this means that there are little complications on that side of the line.

Yes, complications on the Spadina line can affect the DRL, but I chose that as better than it affecting the Yonge Line, which we need operating to its maximum capacity.

1. Are you reverting back to the interlining B-D and Y-U of old?
No. That is an idea I find interesting and have renewed interest in thanks to ATC, but I'll save that for other transit fantasy maps.

There was a bit of discussion about this in the TTC: Other Items (catch all) thread.
What the University-Spadina Line could have been if it went under the University of Toronto St George Campus:
University Line U of T.jpg

Attachments

• University Line Original.jpg
    University Line Original.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 357
  • University Line U of T.jpg
    University Line U of T.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 1,061
Fantasy proposal time! Would it have been viable to end the TYSSE at Steeles and build a Jane BRT from Major Mac to connect with PV terminal? Maybe even within the same funding envelope?

There was a bit of discussion about this in the TTC: Other Items (catch all) thread.
What the University-Spadina Line could have been if it went under the University of Toronto St George Campus:
View attachment 134506

I do see some issues with this alignment, even though it's great that there would be a station in the middle of campus.

1. You lose the "St. George-style" interchange because line 1 and 2 are no longer parallel to each other when they intersect. This might not be a big deal depending on how it is designed, but you don't want to end up with another Bloor-Yonge situation for the west end
2. Having line 1 run under Spadina may conflict with the Spadina streetcar, depending on how deep line 1 goes. If line 1 is below line 2 then this might not be an issue.

I do see some issues with this alignment, even though it's great that there would be a station in the middle of campus.
I should have mentioned that this is a "what if" scenario to have been done originally. There is little reason to re-implement this now since there are probably tall buildings' foundations in the way and would be useless in relieving the system.

1. You lose the "St. George-style" interchange because line 1 and 2 are no longer parallel to each other when they intersect. This might not be a big deal depending on how it is designed, but you don't want to end up with another Bloor-Yonge situation for the west end
As long as there is more than one entry point to change platforms (like Sheppard-Yonge) it shouldn't be that bad.

2. Having line 1 run under Spadina may conflict with the Spadina streetcar, depending on how deep line 1 goes. If line 1 is below line 2 then this might not be an issue.
Wasn't University built to St George before Bloor and before Spadina streetcar to Bloor? So the Spadina Portal would have been built after both levels of Spadina Station, therefore it would have been taken into account.

I should have mentioned that this is a "what if" scenario to have been done originally. There is little reason to re-implement this now since there are probably tall buildings' foundations in the way and would be useless in relieving the system.
Don't forget that the Robarts Library complex has two basement levels!

Back