723     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I lol'd at Lawrence Eastern Political Promises
Lawrence Eastern Political Promises.png

Attachments

• Lawrence Eastern Political Promises.png
    Lawrence Eastern Political Promises.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 468
Hey at least we know what our next transit planning body will be named: SUPERlinx. Next is SUPERDUPERLINX

Does this about capture most of them? Hyperloop from Pickering to Pearson airport might be a bit of a stretch.

Attachments

• Metrolinx2050.pdf
    854.1 KB · Views: 680
BlogTo loves their ad revenue.

But with this map: they're extending the BD line to LBP but no sheppard east extension or Eglinton Subway or second DRL? If it's an ultimate transit fantasy map, it missed out.

It's a more reasonable transit map. I could make an "ultimate" transit map with subways only, but I would like to make a map that is more achievable, logical, and hopeful. I prefer a Sheppard and Eglinton LRT over a subway on the basis of cost, ROW, and possible ridership. I would think a Sheppard Line extension would still have ridership woes and won't be bang for the buck like an LRT would. I don't think we should waste money on digging if there is room to have at-grade transit, especially for Eglinton West LRT where the old Richview Expressway Corridor allows for plenty of room to build an LRT. A second DRL is difficult for me to fathom because of the unknown effects of the first DRL and GO RER, it may not be necessary.

Ok, another fantasy map (promised) after a while. Should we start a Mayoral Election Transit Promise Thread?
_4_map.jpg

Attachments

• _4_map.jpg
    _4_map.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,225
A few comments:
  • I know this is a conceptual map, but it is still ugly as sin
  • There doesn't appear to be anything on this map that isn't already in the works except for the Jane LRT and some "enhanced bus," but I guess that's her being realistic.
  • "Sheppard Rapid Transit" sounds like hedging for a Sheppard subway extension.
  • The DRL west is disappointing. Doesn't connect to GO RER at Liberty Village, and appears connects to Line 2 at the exact midpoint between Dundas West and Lansdowne stations
  • Eglinton East doubling back from Morningside to reach Malvern is popular in proposals, but it seems to come more from a desire to hit a node than to provide a service that would be useful to people. Going to Malvern made sense as an extension of the SRT, where it would be rapidly connected to STC, Kennedy (line 2) and GO, not as an at-grade loop around Scarborough.
  • "Enhanced Bus Service" sounds like a cop out. BRT on Finch, Steeles, Lawrence West, etc., would be amazing. "Enhanced Bus Service" should exist on every major bus route. In general, I'd like to see more bus improvements proposed, since it's the most affordable way to improve transit across the city.
That being said as a proposal, instead of just a fantasy map, it isn't bad because it has a full DRL and doesn't propose anything dumb like subways along Highway 27:

rob-doug-ford-subway-map.jpg

Or a new GO transit route along Eglinton West:

map.jpg

So as far as Mayoral Candidate Fantasy maps goes, my grade is:
  • Presentation - C+
  • Content - A-
  • Feasability - A

I hate to admit it but simply on paper Fords map is the nicest. It may not be doable but it looks dang nice.

I hate to admit it but simply on paper Fords map is the nicest. It may not be doable but it looks dang nice.
If we could erase the Highway 27 subway, Fords plan is by far the best. Also the easiest to understand as an electioneering document.

A continuous SmartTrack along Eglinton West has to be the dumbest idea on any of the plans.

If we could erase the Highway 27 subway, Fords plan is by far the best. Also the easiest to understand as an electioneering document.

A continuous SmartTrack along Eglinton West has to be the dumbest idea on any of the plans.

How anyone can be dismissive of a Hwy 27 subway whilst commuting in the same city as the Spadina subway line through the middle of the Allen Road Expressway boggles the mind.

Think of all the nodes such a line could connect:

Cloverdale Mall
Valhallah Business Park
Etobicoke Civic Centre
Renforth Gateway/Airport Corporate Centre
GTAA
Pearson Airport
Intermodal GO connection to Kitchener Line
Woodbine Centre/Racetrack
Humber College
Etobicoke General Hospital

It'd easily be more useful than the Spadina Line right off the bat.

Back