News   Apr 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

A lot of fantasy maps are nice to look at, but very few address the critical matter of Line 1 overcrowding--particularly between Eglinton and Union. I think the only solution to unclog that mess is a an express line connected to the old line 1 somewhere between Eglinton and Lawrence, then proceeding south, with stops at Eglinton, Bloor, Queen and Union. The line would jog west after Egg, and go underneath Bay St until it hits Union. An extension could turn east after Union with stops at QQ/Yonge, QQ Cherry, and terminate in the Portlands. (let's say 40 or 50 years from now)

Passengers who require the local stops between Egg and Union would transfer at Egg to the old Line 1.

It might not be possible to build this for another 3o years or so, but at that point the original Line 1 will be approx 90 years old. There's no way such an outdated line with tiny platforms and exits could still be the central spine for an immense system that serves 5-6 million people (when you add Vaughan, R-Hill, Markham and Missy to the mix) Eventually it'll have to be replaced or updated or something. An express Line 1 solves this problem. It might also be the only new line that could hit near capacity traffic volumes from day 1.

Rush hour travel time between Egg and Union would be reduced from 20-40 minutes to less than 10 minutes. The four new stations of phase 1 would have double sided platforms with headways of 1-2 minutes.

A premium fare might be required for those using the Express Line 1 to make it economical to build, but I doubt very many people going to the CBD would refuse the premium fare by transferring to the old crappy Line 1 with it's delays and general decrepitude.

I know it's an expensive pipedream that could cost 10 - 15 billion dollars, but what's the alternative? Better to start planning it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
...but what's the alternative?

Don't send any buses to Yonge? It's really only at about 20% capacity from walk-ins. 80% of the riders don't care whether they ride Yonge downtown or something else if their bus takes them to a convenient transfer point.

Don't send any buses to Yonge? It's really only at about 20% capacity from walk-ins. 80% of the riders don't care whether they ride Yonge downtown or something else if their bus takes them to a convenient transfer point.
But where do you send the buses? Transit options "parallel" to Yonge (or radial to downtown).

Spend the money on a new route to downtown. This better serves suburbs and provides more lines in downtown too.
TTC.jpg

Attachments

• TTC.jpg
    TTC.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 648
If a line from Richmond Hill centre to Go was built along Bathurst, Avenue Rd, Davenport, and Bay down to Union, that could potentially draw people away from Yonge. The biggest problem is not the 416ers, it's the 905ers.

If a line from Richmond Hill centre to Go was built along Bathurst, Avenue Rd, Davenport, and Bay down to Union, that could potentially draw people away from Yonge. The biggest problem is not the 416ers, it's the 905ers.

The Yonge Relief Express Line could commence at Davisville Stn, taking advantage of the third track/platform and then tunnel directly underneath Yonge Street from there southwards with stops at Bay-Bloor, Bay-Dundas (Coach Terminal), Bay-Queen (City Hall), Union Station and Queen's Quay Ferry Docks Station. Combined frequency north of Davisville on the shared Yonge Line could be every 60 seconds, with every 2 minutes on each of the branches.

Greater Toronto Express Rail:

Pink line is probably a pipe dream but cool to think about. The rest I think is doable. Subway in gray includes relief line.

upload_2018-3-2_23-40-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-2_23-40-31.png
    upload_2018-3-2_23-40-31.png
    917.2 KB · Views: 997
Here's me resurrecting something from the dead. Shame we got rid of it, but there is also now a cemetery in the way, so this is forever in the realm of fantasy. Not sure if it would be a GO Line or TTC Line though.
TorontoLoop.png

Attachments

• TorontoLoop.png
    TorontoLoop.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,258
Here's me resurrecting something from the dead. Shame we got rid of it, but there is also now a cemetery in the way, so this is forever in the realm of fantasy. Not sure if it would be a GO Line or TTC Line though.View attachment 136112
The Belt Line Loop could have a station over the Allen with a short walkway to Cedarvale station. That station could also be close enough to Marlee as well.

The Belt Line Loop could have a station over the Allen with a short walkway to Cedarvale station. That station could also be close enough to Marlee as well.
Believe it or not, this is the second version of the map I did and in the original I did have a station at the Allen. I dropeed it here though because I just found the gap between the two stations unappealing. I also dropped a station at Dufferin just north of Eglinton because of the Crosstown station being so close by and Caledonia just being a block west.

So, I've updated my (admittedly ugly) fantasy map of downtown transit to account for recent-ish developments.
  • Liberty Village GO RER station
  • Spadina South GO RER station
  • Carlaw Alignment of DRL
With GO's new liberty village station located on King Street, I think it would be necessary for the DRL-West to dip down to meet King just like the east end does. Switching back and forth from King to Queen doesn't help with the rationalization of the streetcar network, and I personally wonder if the King and Queen streetcar might end up being eliminated once a full DRL opens, in order to re-deploy the vehicles elsewhere.

Since we are already on King, for curvature reasons it's not as beneficial to use Parkside, so I've just run it under Roncesvalles to Dundas West and eliminated the Roncesvalles streetcar.

Eliminated streetcar routes:
  • Roncesvalles
  • King street, from Roncesvalles to Bathurst
  • Queen street, from Bathurst to River
New streetcar routes:
  • Waterfront West, along Lakeshore/Commissioners from Hurontario to Leslie
  • Queensway LRT from Sherway Gardens to Sunnyside
  • Dufferin-Fort York-Bremner, to Union station
  • Broadview extension south to Port Lands
  • Dundas extension to Gerard Square DRL

View attachment 138749

Last edited:
So, I've updated my (admittedly ugly) fantasy map of downtown transit to account for recent-ish developments.
With GO's new liberty village station located on King Street, I think it would be necessary for the DRL-West to dip down to meet King just like the east end does. Switching back and forth from King to Queen doesn't help with the rationalization of the streetcar network, and I personally wonder if the King and Queen streetcar might end up being eliminated once a full DRL opens, in order to re-deploy the vehicles elsewhere.

Since we are already on King, for curvature reasons it's not as beneficial to use Parkside, so I've just run it under Roncesvalles to Dundas West and eliminated the Roncesvalles streetcar.

• Roncesvalles
New streetcar routes:

View attachment 138749

Keep the streetcars on King and Queen, even along the DRL corridor. The DRL will fail to provide local service along King and queen. It's imperative that local service remains, or we'll end up with another version of the 97, only slower and worse for the environment.

Fantasy mode engaged: make the streetcar lines travel above the subway at a cut and cover level underground, providing a streetcar subway, like the ones used in Philadelphia and Boston. Do not remove any parts of the streetcar network. Expand it; it'll only allow for a wider range of fleet vehicles to be used.

• Roncesvalles
New streetcar routes:

View attachment 138749
How dare you and I have similar ideas.
Downtown with stations small.png

Attachments

• Downtown with stations small.png
    Downtown with stations small.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 760
Not so fantasy idea, but TTC should put GO Lines on their map to create a Toronto rail map, instead of a pathetic, two-line map

Back