News   May 08, 2024
 215     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 419     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto shootings

I understand the anger you display in your posts now. I'm sorry the help you needed wasn't available.

I understand the anger you display in your posts now. I'm sorry the help you needed wasn't available.

Anger? Mate, you haven't seen me angry. Believe.

Yeah, no one really gets the help they need a lot of the time. 3 month wait for a psychiatrist because I didn't actually try to kill myself. It's a joke. By the time I made it there I was fine and went for like three sessions at which time I was told I had all the answers and didn't need his help. Well, yeah, I had to fix my damn self. Not everyone is capable of doing that.
I taught myself CBT, self-medicated, meditated, turned everything into a joke, and just got on with it. I was lucky.

Mental health is a very serious issue these days and Drug Fraud pretends it doesn't exist.

Many homeless people and drug addicts (and chronic alcoholics are technically drug addicts) have mental health issues, preventing some of them from having meaningful jobs (and contrary to popular belief, many homeless people aren't lazy). Not just that, but PTSD is also a major mental health issue, especially for those working in fields that involve trauma and death (and the military is one of those fields).

Autism by itself however isn't a mental health issue, though those with autism do need extra funding regardless.

What about those with autism?

We have it really bad.

I have high functioning Asperger's and OCD. Nothing like this Danforth guy had of course. My wife and I have been married for 15 years (together for 20) and we have three kids. I have also been working full time with the same place for 13 years. Most people with mental illness can't hold down jobs or stay in a relationship.

Last edited:
When I read these articles from the mothers, I'm always left with the question, in the words of Mick Jagger, where is your father?

Sorrow and outrage in Regent Park, day after teen shot dead
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...g-identified-as-mackai-bishop-jackson-15.html

Where are the men?
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2007/08/19/where_are_the_men.html

Living nearby to Regent Park, one thing I like seeing is the new Muslim immigrant families from the Middle East and Asia, since they seem to have very strong two-parent families. An active and ever-present father is so important to our young people.

When there is a mafia murder in Woodbridge or Hamilton nobody asks the Italian community what they are doing to stop the violence.

When there is a mafia murder in Woodbridge or Hamilton nobody asks the Italian community what they are doing to stop the violence.
That’s a good point. I think the unspoken assumption many people have is that crime rates are significantly higher for the black community - to the extent it even makes sense to consider Somalis interchangeable with Jamaicans - than for other communities. But we’ll never know because we can’t ask basic questions about the identities and backgrounds of criminals and victims. Discussing statistics about their ethnicity or family immigration history or single parent status would be considered unacceptable racism. And if we found that immigrants from country x and their descendants had a vastly higher crime rate than immigrants from country y, any suggestion that we limit immigration from the former would meet with hysterical denunciation. So...we form our opinions based on anecdote and here say because we’re denied serious data.

I wish I had one. But fixing shootings amongst our racialized youth isn't a spectator or amateur project. I hope the experts can do a better job than us, or certainly me. I'm from a different world compared to those two blocks south.

I’m not sure there is a solution. However, it wouldn’t hurt to have some honesty and clarity, starting with collection and public dissemination of data on who shoots and who dies. At the moment we’re reduced to talking about shootings among “racialized” youth. But that’s an awfully broad generalization. Is someone of Korean origin “racialized?” I suppose not, if Harvard admissions are any guide. Is a first-generation immigrant from Nigeria in the same “racialized” bucket as a third-generation Canadian child of Jamaican immigrants? Are there factors aside from race, such as prior engagement with the criminal justice system? If governments have any of this information, it isn’t making its way into the public discussion, which is by definition uninformed.

Well a lot the violence is fueled by the sale of illicit drugs.

So perhaps white people who buy weed should shut the fuck up if they complain about this topic.

Last edited:

Back