News   May 30, 2024
 391     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 728     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.7K     6 

Toronto shootings

He is probably talking about Blacks making homophobic remarks towards gays
When I was a kid growing up in Mississauga in the 1970s and 1980s, homosexual related remarks were frequent, though I can't really say if they were phobia based. That's so gay, you're a fag, trannies, ladyboys, queers, bugger, etc. were the schoolyard taunts. If Blacks still carry on as such, well that's a throwback for sure, but it's got nothing to do with shootings.

When I was a kid growing up in Mississauga in the 1970s and 1980s, homosexual related remarks were frequent, though I can't really say if they were phobia based. That's so gay, you're a fag, trannies, ladyboys, queers, bugger, etc. were the schoolyard taunts. If Blacks still carry on as such, well that's a throwback for sure, but it's got nothing to do with shootings.

Bugger? Never thought of that as bad. And I think trannies is a newer word. Sex changes were rare back then and it wasn't really on people's minds.

Last edited:

I can confidently report that this never stopped and still goes on.....and by everyone, not just black people.

Just an angry young man, leading a life without purpose, mixed with a touch of insanity. I'd say that's the CV for most young men who join or actively support most counter-culture groups, be it anarchist, IRA/ISIS, etc, religionist, etc.

This won't settle down the Pepes, they're convinced he's a jihadist.

Tinge? Are we reading the same news sources?

By the accounts I've heard, the guy was fully mental insofar as depression and anxiety are concerned.

Another failure of our refusal to treat mental health seriously, manifested in a rather extreme outcome.

This wasn't some guy who had a personal vendetta against society because of perceived slights. This was a guy who suffered so badly from his illness that he gave up on life completely.

Treating the guy's very real and very serious mental health issues as some sort of abstract "angry young man" bollocks is just a perpetuation of the dangerous ignorance in regards to mental health that our society is rife with.

"Angry young men" go to football matches and pubs, they don't give up on life in suicidal binges of death. Ok, they may have, in 80s Britain, I suppose. Exception proving the rule. ;)

So, what should 'we' have done?
About what? The Danforth Shooting? Nothing. There are 37 million of us in Canada, we’re going to have to accept that some of them will be nutty and violent. Life goes on, as it did on the Danforth within days of the incident, where today there’s little evidence of anything but the same jolly folks enjoying their evenings out.

Although 'institutionalizing' if a dirty word now, part of the problem (not necessarily connected to the Danforth incident) is that the majority of mental health facilities were closed by the government and residents returned to the community without adequate community resources to properly deal with them. As a result, disruptive incidents take place in the home or on the street and the public response is foisted onto the police. Historically, mental health facilities didn't have a great track record but I'm not convinced closure was the cure.

Although 'institutionalizing' if a dirty word now, part of the problem (not necessarily connected to the Danforth incident) is that the majority of mental health facilities were closed by the government and residents returned to the community without adequate community resources to properly deal with them. As a result, disruptive incidents take place in the home or on the street and the public response is foisted onto the police. Historically, mental health facilities didn't have a great track record but I'm not convinced closure was the cure.

It wasn't. The cure, I mean.

If they were run properly, with proper oversight, they would have been a blessing and a half.

This "community living" bullshit needs to die the death it deserves.

As someone who's been suicidal for the last 18 years, I can tell you that when I needed the help (that I never got...had to help my damn self), a nice respite at some secluded resort-type compound in Muskoka with proper staff and like-minded (or un-minded?) people would have been the best. I would never have needed to self-prescribe myself chemicals of dubious street source. Luckily, it worked out for me. Not everyone is as level-headed in mentally difficult situations.

The mental healthcare situation in Canada is so shit that I actually had to research alternative treatments, deal with it myself and self-prescribe MDMA and psilocybin, ffs. When you're ready to off yourself and your choices are a shitty hospital room and bullshit drugs of dubious efficacy...if you're "lucky" or a 3 month wait...let me tell you, very inadequate.

So, what should 'we' have done?

Wear bullet-proof vests and watch 'your' backs, I suppose.

I don't know, how about taking mental health seriously?

You do realise that the brain is a physiological part of your body. It's not some abstract concept, the mind. It's literally neurons in your head, bruv.

Back