News   Mar 18, 2024
 794     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 778     0 

St Lawrence Market

It is actually going to Council NEXT week but is certainly good news and the timeline should allow the City time to look at the motion LAST month regarding closing the southern part of Leader Lane to vehicles.

Quite right. Corrected. I've made too many posts this AM, some before finishing my first coffee! LOL

Though I also posted elsewhere, this motion may be useful (and worth writing in to support!)

City Council consideration on July 14, 2021
Notice of Motion
MM35.17
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Requesting the Auditor General Review the Wellington Street East Construction for Effective Coordination and Communication - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy
See details at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM35.17

What was Urban Barn on the south side of King between Sherbourne and Princess is about to reopen as "The Chesterfield Shop"

EDIT: I think it's a part of this chain. Hopefully they come up with something a little less garish for the signage, like Leon's did at the roundhouse, but otherwise it's better than another pot shop or a vacant storefront.
952CB99B-6848-4CD2-8B3B-BF3A6598FB5F.jpeg

Also, just outside St Lawrence, the LCBO are opening a new store at 4 King West where the Bank of Montreal used to be.

Interesting!

No permits pulled yet; and CBRE still has it listed for lease; on the other hand, CBRE has been known not to update their information in a timely way.

I actually walked right by there today because I'm going back to the office next week and wanted to scope things out, but didn't see it.

Dreschel Studio, the rather pricy furniture place at King & Jarvis, is closing and moving (on September 1) to their HQ on Oakdale Road.

Also, just outside St Lawrence, the LCBO are opening a new store at 4 King West where the Bank of Montreal used to be.

I've never seen anyone inside the Dreschel shop. I'm surprised they stayed as long as they did.

Hopefully not posted already, but a new cannabis shop on Front and Frederick (formerly Olivia, formerly Starbucks).

i'm not sure if this has been discussed in the many pages of this thread, so apologies if so -- wondering what thoughts are from the folks here on what prevents more cool restaurants / bars / etc. from opening up in this neighbourhood?

while there are a few, from my casual observation -- the esplanade is criminally underutilized for what it could be; there seems to be primarily large chain stores (e.g., the spaghetti factory and the keg) or high end furniture shops (which I get -- those do tend to be clustered together in cities); and very few independent bars/restaurants in comparison to other parts of the city. is it an issue with rent prices, not enough demand, zoning?

granted, maybe my sense of this is exacerbated by covid and shuttering of lots of places :( i really hope some of the big buildings going in (e.g., Time & Waste of Space) will have commercial options on the ground floor. PRoblem is, with any new build like that, rent is probably way too high for any cool, unique mom & pop type shop. but then... does that mean a future king east that's a little closer to its cousin on the west side is a pipe dream?

Recycle and donation opportunity -
125 The Esplanade, Tues 24 Aug 10am - 8pm and Wed 25 Aug 10am-5pm Salvation Army/RCT (Electronics, Textiles, Books, Art & School Supplies
Repair Cafe Tues 24 Aug 12-3pm Will repair small appliances, home electronics and general housewares
Charlies Freewheels Wed 12-4pm Will provide free bicycle maintenance

The St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association has a Development Committee which attempts to influence development in the St Lawrence area. They meet monthly - usually the first Thursday of the month at 4pm - with City staff, developers and the local Councillors.

The Committee is looking for new members; if you live in St Lawrence (ideally in an SLNA Member building) you can pm me with your name and email which I will forward to the Chair. Details of the SLNA are at www.slna.ca

i'm not sure if this has been discussed in the many pages of this thread, so apologies if so -- wondering what thoughts are from the folks here on what prevents more cool restaurants / bars / etc. from opening up in this neighbourhood?

while there are a few, from my casual observation -- the esplanade is criminally underutilized for what it could be; there seems to be primarily large chain stores (e.g., the spaghetti factory and the keg) or high end furniture shops (which I get -- those do tend to be clustered together in cities); and very few independent bars/restaurants in comparison to other parts of the city. is it an issue with rent prices, not enough demand, zoning?

granted, maybe my sense of this is exacerbated by covid and shuttering of lots of places :( i really hope some of the big buildings going in (e.g., Time & Waste of Space) will have commercial options on the ground floor. PRoblem is, with any new build like that, rent is probably way too high for any cool, unique mom & pop type shop. but then... does that mean a future king east that's a little closer to its cousin on the west side is a pipe dream?
Sometimes I wonder if this is a chicken/egg problem. Does the community need more younger residents to make more bars/restaurants viable? Or will those younger residents not move-in until the amenities exist? The community definitely has a number of places already, but Covid has really reduced the selection. Not having the George Brown students around does create a bit of a "dead" feel in some areas where there are entire blocks of mostly vacant buildings right now.

Back