News   Mar 18, 2024
 828     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.8K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 789     0 

St Lawrence Market

@DSC - I filled the survey if it makes any difference. I spotted the following as a question: “The I Heart Market Street pilot is currently planned for two consecutive weekends at the end of August. Do you support continuing these closures each weekend until Thanksgiving?”

So to completely assign Market St. for pedestrians after those two funny weekends is possible. Who is deciding on this and what is the latest?

Thank you very much.

@DSC - I filled the survey if it makes any difference. I spotted the following as a question: “The I Heart Market Street pilot is currently planned for two consecutive weekends at the end of August. Do you support continuing these closures each weekend until Thanksgiving?”

So to completely assign Market St. for pedestrians after those two funny weekends is possible. Who is deciding on this and what is the latest?

Thank you very much.
The survey (which I agree is not well constructed) is by the BIA and they are only one of many interested in this matter. There are certainly merchants (primarily IN the Market) who think the parking on Market St is essential for their survival but there are merchants (primarily restaurants on Market St) who want it totally closed, at least in summer. The SLNA is, I think, in favour of total closure as is the City's own Market Precinct Advisory Committee. If you want it closed I suggest you write to The Chair of the Precinct Advisory Committee c/o Market Manager daniel.picheca@toronto.ca you could also copy President of SLNA (president@slna.ca) and Councillor Wong-Tam Councillor Wongtam <councillor_wongtam@toronto.ca> The final decision will be made by the Toronto & East York Community Council - I think a Report on it is expected at their November meeting.

As noted up this thread, the closure is a 2 weekend experiment. I must say I have NEVER seen a tourist bus on Market Street and am surprised if one has attempted it. If you want Market pedestrianised fill in the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSflJwE8tsOv2vqaZqSqWqUkXnHWQnIFjwEJquy_FqK2X6WdgQ/viewform
he didn't try to turn he was just weaving around someone who was trying to turn. Then of course first driver realized he couldn't turn and then decided to just "pop" in front of a moving bus. The most entertaining thing downtown is watching people drive.

The Market St. next to the SLM was open to pedestrians only for the last weekends. The Old Town BIA is in charge and calls it I Heart Market Street: http://oldtowntoronto.ca/marketstreet/ The person leading it is Stephen Maciejowski – Director of Operations & Special Projects, stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca

I wrote him to ask to be bold and move with the project forward. Of course, some market vendors are afraid loosing their free parking spot on Market St, but clients, visitors and restaurants are overwhelmingly in favour to have Market St. reserved for pedestrians only. Great discussion on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/StLawrenceNeighbourhoodMarketplace/permalink/3120923544803724/

This upcoming weekend it will be same mess on Market St. as the project stopped already. Clearly to stop this right now and not to continue the initiative will cause to lose a big opportunity to create a better public realm and increase sales for businesses. Stephen is saying that it might come back in Sept or Oct. if more public interest is there. On Facebook he was admitting that he is overwhelmed by the positive feedback to have Market St closed to cars, SUV and Pick-up.

He is asking for feedback - https://forms.gle/Dsd3ehdzTPmWbHgBA

I would like also to encourage everyone to write Stephen an email (stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca) to keep this pilot alive. I even brought up the idea to host a Christmas Market in Nov. Dec. Stop endless consulting and start just doing something with improvements over time!

The Market St. next to the SLM was open to pedestrians only for the last weekends. The Old Town BIA is in charge and calls it I Heart Market Street: http://oldtowntoronto.ca/marketstreet/ The person leading it is Stephen Maciejowski – Director of Operations & Special Projects, stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca

I wrote him to ask to be bold and move with the project forward. Of course, some market vendors are afraid loosing their free parking spot on Market St, but clients, visitors and restaurants are overwhelmingly in favour to have Market St. reserved for pedestrians only. Great discussion on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/StLawrenceNeighbourhoodMarketplace/permalink/3120923544803724/

This upcoming weekend it will be same mess on Market St. as the project stopped already. Clearly to stop this right now and not to continue the initiative will cause to lose a big opportunity to create a better public realm and increase sales for businesses. Stephen is saying that it might come back in Sept or Oct. if more public interest is there. On Facebook he was admitting that he is overwhelmed by the positive feedback to have Market St closed to cars, SUV and Pick-up.

He is asking for feedback - https://forms.gle/Dsd3ehdzTPmWbHgBA

I would like also to encourage everyone to write Stephen an email (stephenm@stlawrencemarketbia.ca) to keep this pilot alive. I even brought up the idea to host a Christmas Market in Nov. Dec. Stop endless consulting and start just doing something with improvements over time!
Also write to the St Lawrence Market Precinct Advisory Committee c/o Daniel Picheca <Daniel.Picheca@toronto.ca> (Daniel is the Market Manager) and the president@slna.ca

I disagree, don't think Market Street should be pedestrianized at all. When the North Market is back on Front Street the one way street will be useful again, even more so when/if the market's lower level is reconfigured. It's a bloody nightmare with all these pedestrians all over the place, because of course the traffic has to go somewhere and that makes the surrounding area even harder to navigate for local residents. All those pedestrians get here somehow and not all via public transit.

I disagree, don't think Market Street should be pedestrianized at all. When the North Market is back on Front Street the one way street will be useful again, even more so when/if the market's lower level is reconfigured. It's a bloody nightmare with all these pedestrians all over the place, because of course the traffic has to go somewhere and that makes the surrounding area even harder to navigate for local residents. All those pedestrians get here somehow and not all via public transit.

Years ago survey results showed that around 75% of customers going to the SLM are arriving by walking, transit or biking. This number is certainly higher now.

It lacks ambition to assign Market St to pedestrians only. Parts of Wellington St, Front St and the Esplanade need to have sections for pedestrians only and no car traffic. Next five years the Financial District will have no car traffic at all. Ottawa is masssivly increasing pedestrian space around ByMarket. It’s always a fight as change is difficult for some. However, Toronto needs much more attractive pedestrian space.

The local BIA’s need to spot consulting and start taking action. Makes no sense to please everyone as it’s impossible anyway. A strong vision is needed!

Yes, damn all those pedestrians walking in a market area, spending their money at a variety of businesses and enjoying a drink on the patio. How dare they!

While you're welcome to your preference; its certainly not mine.............

'nightmare'?

I walk down there all the time, I have never found the pedestrian traffic to be nightmare'ish.

I do find the sidewalks on the south side of Front from Market to Scott, prone to crowding on weekends.
The answer to which, in my judgement, is to remove the parking on the south side of Front in that section and widen the sidewalk!

But I still wouldn't call it nighmare'ish.

The other thing I'd like to see, which I gather we will see, is the median extended in front of Market Street, which will both preclude left-hand turns, but also provide an island where pedestrians that are crossing can wait, in a somewhat more protected manner.

Some new lights for The Gooderham Building! Maybe it’s still a work in progress? Not as dramatic as The Cathedral Church of St. James or The St. Lawrence Market but also not shot from the intended angle of perspective. I’m sure we will see many more pictures of this building from Front St. E. in the coming days, weeks and years. Nice to see all these buildings lit up in the Market.
BBFD36CC-F7E3-4871-802B-66757D1CAC80.jpeg

A01C503C-F23C-45F0-A68E-DF1CDFD601ED.jpeg

Some new lights for The Gooderham Building! Maybe it’s still a work in progress? Not as dramatic as The Cathedral Church of St. James or The St. Lawrence Market but also not shot from the intended angle of perspective. I’m sure we will see many more pictures of this building from Front St. E. in the coming days, weeks and years. Nice to see all these buildings lit up in the Market.View attachment 346960

View attachment 346961
Yes, good to see. There is an official heritage lighting plan for St Lawrence. It's a http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca/i...Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto.pdf The City has (slowly) been working on lighting its own buildings (St Lawrence Hall, St Lawrence Market and supported the lighting of St James Cathedral. There are plans to light the (City-owned) Young People's Theatre, 51 Division and the theatres on Berkeley.

Yes, good to see. There is an official heritage lighting plan for St Lawrence. It's a http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca/images/files/Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto.pdf The City has (slowly) been working on lighting its own buildings (St Lawrence Hall, St Lawrence Market and supported the lighting of St James Cathedral. There are plans to light the (City-owned) Young People's Theatre, 51 Division and the theatres on Berkeley.
apparently the city have never heard the phrase "Light Pollution". Do these lights stay on all night? That means in the winter they are on for more than 12 hours. Good for the city? Why are you afraid of the dark?

Yes, damn all those pedestrians walking in a market area, spending their money at a variety of businesses and enjoying a drink on the patio. How dare they!
because of course it's so good to charge $17 for a jar of mustard??!!! The city must be pleased that so many citizens don't have a problem with gouging and disrespecting the omnipotent tourist.

apparently the city have never heard the phrase "Light Pollution". Do these lights stay on all night? That means in the winter they are on for more than 12 hours. Good for the city? Why are you afraid of the dark?
This is addressed in section 6.5 of the linked document, where it indicates to only use the most energy efficient lighting, which they note as LED or ceramic halide, and to take into account the effects of the lights on the neighbourhood and wildlife as needed.

Reactions: DSC
because of course it's so good to charge $17 for a jar of mustard??!!! The city must be pleased that so many citizens don't have a problem with gouging and disrespecting the omnipotent tourist.
Hey that's better than Amazon's price for fancy mustard.

1631017383993.png

But I think at Kozliks you actually get 3 jars for $17, and their hot mustard is really good.

Last edited:

Back