News   Mar 18, 2024
 699     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 762     0 

St Lawrence Market

Sometimes I wonder if this is a chicken/egg problem. Does the community need more younger residents to make more bars/restaurants viable? Or will those younger residents not move-in until the amenities exist? The community definitely has a number of places already, but Covid has really reduced the selection. Not having the George Brown students around does create a bit of a "dead" feel in some areas where there are entire blocks of mostly vacant buildings right now.
I moved into St Lawrence in 2001 and it seemed quiet. In the last 20 years the area has been undergoing a huge rebuilding and LOTS more people have moved in. Frankly, it STILL seems very quiet (and I'm 20 years older.)

The St. Lawrence BIA is running a survey on whether you think Market St should be periodically pedestrianized. Go in and have your say!

I moved into St Lawrence in 2001 and it seemed quiet. In the last 20 years the area has been undergoing a huge rebuilding and LOTS more people have moved in. Frankly, it STILL seems very quiet (and I'm 20 years older.)

I lived in St. Lawrence for 10 years starting in 2010, and the change has been considerable from my lens of being close to St. James Park. In the past 5-6 years - and especially since the playground finished - there's a lot more traffic and people staying within the park. It's been wonderful to see. The other areas of St. Lawrence I feel has remained fairly the same, but with the new builds like Time and Space, the one across the library, etc. finishing up, I'm sure Front/Esplanade is going to change quite a bit too.

The St. Lawrence BIA is running a survey on whether you think Market St should be periodically pedestrianized. Go in and have your say!

Submitted!

Reactions: DSC

I said it should be pedestrianised 365 days a year!! They are really SO timid!

I told them no one will ever visit those patios in large numbers while the street is choked with cars all circling in the hopes that one of the eight parking spots will open up, or trying to sneak by the gridlock at Front and Jarvis.

I said it should be pedestrianised 365 days a year!! They are really SO timid!

I used the comments to take aim at the value of the parking; the preferability of patio space and live music and a tree or two.

Additionally, I mentioned that I sometimes drive to the area (like twice a year tops, but I may have omitted that).......
and....that the Green P lot by Church was far preferable to circling the block on Market St. looking for a spot.

Turning onto Market Street from Front Street is now prohibited for westbound vehicles, with big planters in place to stop traffic.
This was approved by Council about 8 weeks ago as part of the plans for The Esplanade bike tracks. The aim is to stop vehicles using Market to circumvent the new one way sections that are coming in 2022. When the new Market is finished and Market Lane Park is restored the intention is that the median on Front will be properly extended to replace the pots and something - special paving, maybe - done to better link the North and South markets.

How long is the pedestrian zone staying with us on Market St.?

I was expecting this much earlier to happen. Should be full week and not just the weekend. Even the Bymarket is Ottawa implemented pedestrian only areas.

How long is the pedestrian zone staying with us on Market St.?

I was expecting this much earlier to happen. Should be full week and not just the weekend. Even the Bymarket is Ottawa implemented pedestrian only areas.
Even the tourist bus was caught off guard by the barriers.

Back