News   Jul 31, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 666     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 513     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

I wonder if the TTC is going to go el cheapo on us again and leave us with bare concrete walls alike in the Shepperd subway?

154538854_1b58935474_o.jpg

But won't Sheppard West be right at the front gate of Parc Downsview Park?

York Region EA Page

On the page above under November 2006 you can see the Highway 7 station plan. It is under the Transit Routes link (they got the two backwards).

The thing that drives me up the wall is that there will be two separate busways within 1-2 km of each other in York if Viva II on 7 and GO's plan both get underway.

The York Region busway is a median operation, friendly to walk-up traffic (if density ever develops that people will walk up) and connecting local bus routes. GO's busway to the south is two lanes of asphalt connecting parking lots to each other, set next to interchanges and far from local trip generators. This is what Mississauga is going to build, except Mississauga Transit buses will use it as well. The equivalent would be for MT to have BRT on Burnhamthorpe + the GO busway.

I did a bit more reading, and I'm becoming a bit more positive on the station. Go to page 16 of the Downsview Park Plan, and you will see that there's quite an extensive plan of neighbourhoods around there.

I've thought that was kind of strange, spmarshall. I guess it's partly because of the different heritage of the two routes. One sort of descends from the Smartride LRT and more distantly GO-ALRT. The other is from the VIVA plan. Of course, the difference I guess is that one route is local and one express. I'm sure that travel times on the GO route will be very quick, while the Highway 7 route will be quite slow.

The transitways along Highway 7 and Highway 407 serve very different purposes and don't really compete with one another at all. As Unimaginative suggested, Highway 7 will be for local transit while the 407 Transitway will be for regional transit. Let's not confuse the two, they are very different. You can't expect GO to use the Highway 7 transitway or VIVA to use Highway 407 transitway, it just wouldn't work.

In the future, it is highly likely that MT will have BRT along not only Burnhamthorpe, but also Eglinton as well, which is even closer to the 403.

Re: Eglinton West ridership - don't forget to subtract riders going between the Allen and Yonge, since that stretch wouldn't have gotten a subway...

The original plan was to build along the entire corridor, but it was truncated like the Sheppard line. It doesn't matter even if they only built part of it would have eventually been extended anyways.

Really, I think all the subway extensions have equal merit., whether it be York U, Eglinton, Sheppard, SCC... I think they all are genuinely good choices and politics has nothing to do with any of them, despite what people say.

There were never serious plans for an Eglinton line east of Allen, whether in Network 2011, the Peterson-era plans (Let's Move), or the NDP-era EA. All of those studies did, however, examine the full route from Allen to the Airport/Renforth.

I agree that all of those routes are very reasonable subway extensions. That's why it frustrates me when some transit supporters oppose subway extensions that aren't their pet project.

I agree with unimaginative... It's like comparing Burnhamthorpe to Hwy 403. No traffic lights = faster operation.

btw, the downsview park plan link doesn't work

East or west? I don't think ~$1B will get it to STC, but it would get it over to Downsview. Unless he means "finish it" with streetcars...

E/b it'd likely reach Agincourt.

we can always turn down the provincial and federal money, and add... for a Danforth line extension to STC, an extension that will have more riders than the York extension.

Terrible idea. Why can't we be grateful that at the very leaat new subways are being built? If we withdrew the money it would not go towards another subway project, that's a given.

I don't think finishing it westward was seriously in the cards

If done w/b the only intermediate would be at Bathurst, quite a waste of mileage.

I do agree that Sheppard should be completed, but why haven't we heard a peep from the city about that project until now? The only project with an EA is York U. They don't discuss Sheppard East at all

I'm skeptical whether we even need a Sheppard 'subway'.
Subways should be reserved for denser corridors than this. Between the less than stellar performance of 84/85/stubway/190 I fail to see how RT/LRT couldn't be utilized here instead.

both the Feds and the province should stop pulling the financial string and butt out of using transit as a pre-election goody.

Alas only elections thus staying in power are the only motivation politicains have. It'd be nice to inform them we hold the real power so they best give us want we want ;) .

In the relatively impartial Network 2011 study, Eglinton West was said to not even be busy enough for a light rail line. It was supposed to be a busway. Suddenly, it was upgraded to a subway line, coincidentally when local MPP Bob Rae was elected premier.

You're forgeting the geographical significance of Eglinton and it being the only through east-west corridor in the city capable of linking far east Scarborough to Mississauga. Not the mention the 30+ buses that utilize it in their routing and the dense nodes/trippers en route (Weston/Keele area, Dufferin/Oakwood, Yonge-Eglinton, Bayview/Leaside, Flemingdon, VP-Danforth highly dense, Markham+potential of Kingston Rd nodes) which collectively account for 125, 000 daily trips. Add in a direct link to Pearson and this figure ballooons.

Re: Eglinton West ridership - don't forget to subtract riders going between the Allen and Yonge, since that stretch wouldn't have gotten a subway...

And that would've been the biggest mistake of all. For someone to interchange from the Yonge line they'd have to either head down to Bloor or or all the way to Union and back up roughly 20 mins. Sadly the bus trek in between would take just as long.

I wonder if the TTC is going to go el cheapo on us again and leave us with bare concrete walls alike in the Shepperd subway?

And to think they wasted all the tiles on the flooring and beams that people don't even care about. A little aesthetic to the station walls would be greatly appreciated.

There is one aspect of the new subway that I find quite ridiculous: Sheppard West station. That thing is going to make Bessarion look like Finch.

Bessarion ain't that bad. Once they clear out that chain mall and put up condos, you'll see, it'll be just as well used as NYC. Furthermore if they routed a bus to the station via Burbank/Citation/Empress/Park Home even a couple thousand more would file in.

As for Sheppard West there's the Parc, townhouses on Bakersfield, the Ontario Produce Market, driving school, Aerospace Musem, new housing, Chesswood employment area...alot of stuff. Who knows once the GO stop opens maybe even some office buildings.

You can't expect GO to use the Highway 7 transitway or VIVA to use Highway 407 transitway, it just wouldn't work.

Okay, yeah. My question about the Transitway Station, what development is planned for the area surrounding it? If it's just a transfer point why the heck would they waste $ building it?

Of course, the difference I guess is that one route is local and one express. I'm sure that travel times on the GO route will be very quick, while the Highway 7 route will be quite slow.

I can see it now...

Confused Passenger: I'm trying to get to [Airport Corporate]
Driver: This is the local VIVA busway. You want the express busway. You'll want to cross the street, walk south for about 2 kilometres, cross the 407 ramps, go down the grassy embankment, walk across that parking lot, and get a bus from there.
Passenger: Local? I was told VIVA was bus rapid transit!

The YRT EA maps really make the GO busway to be a really foreboding place that no one in hell would ever walk or bike to. But it's GO Transit their typical GO style stations in the middle of nowhere surrounded by parking.

Anyway, for free, I will offer my own version of bus rapid transit with minimal cost and immediate start-up times.

The MCI Public-Sector coach transports up to 69 "passengers" and comes with Code 3 lights, siren and external PA for fast travel in mixed traffic.

ISTV18_L.jpg

Perfect for a captive ridership.

It's a simple fact that the province and feds will only fund projects that the TTC offers them. The only project that the TTC has studied up to this point is a York subway. Even this vague web of streetcars has seen no serious study other than a map in the official plan. I don't think Sheppard East has even been discussed by any city councillor up to this point.

If I recall correctly, the province paid for a good chunk of the EA cost for the Spadina extension. I think you're dealing with a case of chicken and the egg.

AoD

Though one might counter-argue that in this case, the TTC made the most with the least. (It's the 00s, not the 70s.)

Then again, shotgun aesthetic minimalism might be one thing, but can anyone tell me how the Shep subway's *physically* standing the test of time? Esp. over the past month or so, are the stalactited strains of winter showing? (In related news, I saw some weird brown icy growths at Erickson's Eglinton West platforms yesterday morning...)

The YRT EA documents show absolutely no provisions for VIVA stops in the vicinity of 407 transitway stations, even if they intersect and a transitway station is right next to the road... gah, how stupid. The one possible transfer point is at Bathurst & 407/7.

"Really, I think all the subway extensions have equal merit., whether it be York U, Eglinton, Sheppard, SCC... I think they all are genuinely good choices and politics has nothing to do with any of them, despite what people say."

As long as the city may spend more on "upgrading" the RT than it will on the Spadina extension, the choice is just not going to sit well with a lot of people. Of course politics was involved.

Back