News   Jul 31, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 699     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 526     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

Once the TTC gets smart cards like the Oyster Card in London what is to stop them from bring back the different fare zones? Since I live downtown I'm not opposed to the idea and here is an artist conception.

412190522_2c2e1def57_o.jpg

I'd rather just see a swipe on swipe off system. You get charged 15 cents per km travelled to a maximum fare of $2.50 per trip. If you don't have a swipe card, you pay a cash fare of $2.75 like today. To mimic a metropass, once $100 worth of travel is accumulated on one card, remaining trips would be free for the rest of that month.

No one would pay more than what they pay today, however short trips would be rewarded to reduce the burden of a full fare. The system should be extended throughout the GTA. If you board a bus at Yonge and Clark in Thornhill and are headed downtown, YRT gets 15 cents while the TTC gets $2.35.

Perhaps for the first 20 km of your trip, you pay a max fare of $2.50. For a distance of 20-40 km, you pay a max fare of $4.00. And so on.

I like the basis of your idea Chuck. I'd say keep the maximum $2.50 for the 416, and up to $3 or $4 for neighboring cities like Mississauga, Vaughan, and Pickering-Ajax. $5 for outlying cities like Oakville and Oshawa. Or just make it pure distance based, with your start and end points determining your fare exactly. That would encourage people to work closer to home.

chuck, that may cost the system too much depending if alot of trips are short ones. it would take away more $ from the TTC.

an inital fare of $1.75 + 15 cents for each KM and having the fare capped at $4.50 might work well.

of course for those that use the TTC to commute every day, i would still allow them to purchase a metropass an todays regular rates as not to punish them.

such a fare system would encourage more metropass purchases and encourage more usage.

those who use the ttc irregulary wont be hurt in the pocket book while those who use it every day would not be effected.

the trade off is that those who go short distances pay a resonable fare whose loss is made up by fare of those who go far and at the same time regular commuters are not effected.

it's all about balance. those fare figures i posted could be adjusted and tweaked by statistics to promote an optimal solution.

So they said they won't start tunnelling til the end of 2008, and it won't be complete til 2014.

"You don't really need smart cards to make passengers pay a second fare north of Steeles on this subway extension. Currently, passengers heading north of Steeles on TTC buses pay the second fare when they get off the bus. To make this work for the subway, all you need to do is to set up exit turnstiles at the York Region stations that require passengers to pay a fare as they leave the station."

And make sure that those turnstiles lead to a transferless YRT bus terminal.

So they said they won't start tunnelling til the end of 2008, and it won't be complete til 2014.
I would guess that any work started this year will be utility relocation.

It could be done quicker -- it is just being drawn out for financial reasons (IMHO).

all you need to do is to set up exit turnstiles at the York Region stations that require passengers to pay a fare as they leave the station. Don't expect a turnstile with a Metropass scanner.
Although what would happen if they both entered and exited the system in York Region? For example, Steeles W to Vaughan CC?

Although what would happen if they both entered and exited the system in York Region? For example, Steeles W to Vaughan CC?

Couldn't they make people going south be using a different exit than people going north? So people staying within York Region don't necessarily have to pay an extra fare.

Also, Steeles West station would be exempt from the extra fare.

Once the TTC gets smart cards like the Oyster Card in London what is to stop them from bring back the different fare zones? Since I live downtown I'm not opposed to the idea and here is an artist conception.
Too much vertical, not enough lateral, i.e. if the northern limit of Zone 1 is Eglinton, than you might as well bring the E-W limits further in than the ends of the B-D line...

chuck, that may cost the system too much depending if alot of trips are short ones. it would take away more $ from the TTC.
80% of the TTC's ridership comes from suburban residents that, with the longest trips, will end up paying as much as they pay now. The TTC may lose revenue from about 20% of its riders, however I'm sure that enough new rides will be generated that overall revenue won't drop.

And if revenue does drop, so be it. This plan is most beneficial to those in the inner city where car use should be at its lowest anyway. I would personally use the TTC at least 10 times more often than I do now, which means that despite the lower fares the TTC would be getting more money out of me.

Also, Steeles West station would be exempt from the extra fare.

Wow, you've just discovered the reasonning behind my anti-905 subway expansion. It would very difficuilt to reenforce the fare zone if the commute's on one continuous line. As much as I hate to say it, I'd rather have the fare for the entire system raised to $ 3.50 than force people to pay double fares for a 2 km stretch from Steeles to Hwy 7.

Too much vertical, not enough lateral, i.e. if the northern limit of Zone 1 is Eglinton, than you might as well bring the E-W limits further in than the ends of the B-D line...

Inter-416 zoning is even a worse idea and if done as suggested on CSW's map it'd cause alot of confusion as to where the boundary's are. Weston and Graydon Hall would be in Zone 1 but Sunnybrook and Froest Hill wouldn't? More subway extensions would justify higher fares if we weren't already overcharged 50 cents I'd endorse a modest hike.

Moving to a zone system from the current system has to be revenue neutral at worst (i.e. no drop in revenue) -- before the addition of the new stations. The cost of the change-over can be bundled in with the cost of integration with GO. This type of information would have to be figured out through a complete survey of ridership patterns etc.

The benefit of moving to a Zone system, is that it would allow of integration of many regional systems where the revenue collected can be allocated to the operators of the different systems.

In addition, it would allow for the ability to do PPP (public private partnerships) on future subway construction. While it may not lead to a better or more efficient system, it will allow for private companies to enter the system. Private companies are in a better position to influence government opinion -- into potentially subsidizing future lines -- that are privately run -- but integrate into the current systems. Without moving to this type of model, I don't see any group of private citizens having that type of influence (a sad but true statement).

Back