News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 624     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 497     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

Don't forget that 2011 report was released ove 20 years ago. Much has changed.

As long as the city may spend more on "upgrading" the RT than it will on the Spadina extension, the choice is just not going to sit well with a lot of people. Of course politics was involved.

I'm hoping there is no provincial or federal funding for the SRT for now knowing the city won't move ahead without it. I would rather wait until the next election and hope for another "lets build a subway for votes" project that replaces the SRT with a subway. It will never make sense that a subway would exist between SCC and North York but a lower capacity mode exists between SCC and Danforth/Downtown. Why not build the SRT with Mk 2 cars between SCC and Fairview Mall and build the subway between Kennedy and SCC?

"I would rather wait until the next election and hope for another "lets build a subway for votes" project that replaces the SRT with a subway."

Too bad Derek Lee's a shoo-in...

Though one might counter-argue that in this case, the TTC made the most with the least. (It's the 00s, not the 70s.)

You wait idly in a Sheppard line station for minutes and see if you're not irked by the barren escarpment look :rolleyes . The biggest problem, they went overboard with tiling every other aspect of the stations, even the entrances and bus shelters.

The YRT EA documents show absolutely no provisions for VIVA stops in the vicinity of 407 transitway stations, even if they intersect and a transitway station is right next to the road

Yes but besides connecting to a rapid bus service what else is planned for the surrounding neighbourhood of the 407 stop? Condos? Townhouses? Office Buildings? Malls? What?

Really, I think all the subway extensions have equal merit., whether it be York U, Eglinton, Sheppard, SCC... I think they all are genuinely good choices and politics has nothing to do with any of them, despite what people say.

Of those Eglinton's the strongest, the other's just filler.

As long as the city may spend more on "upgrading" the RT than it will on the Spadina extension, the choice is just not going to sit well with a lot of people. Of course politics was involved.

Yes but converting the line or tunnel-boring to STC will definitely sink all transit funds indefinitely. Ever heard of less is more? SRT corridor's low density, STC intermediately important due to RT/401 access, several nodes to the east are neglected. why should all funds be sunk into a reno or redo when 100 km of LRT could be run throughout Scarborough and not stiffled in a superflurous mess that equates 30-40 min bus commutes from STC to destinations throughout the borough?

Don't forget that 2011 report was released ove 20 years ago. Much has changed.

Indeed. Instead of DRL, we need a Queen St. Subway.

I would rather wait until the next election and hope for another "lets build a subway for votes" project that replaces the SRT with a subway.

Sorry but your priorities are out of whack, sync, touch, whatever adjective suits the bill. <50, 000 ppd is more important than >200, 000 ppd along Queen and/or Eglinton? The push this time around should've been for either corridor or even the DRL.

It will never make sense that a subway would exist between SCC and North York but a lower capacity mode exists between SCC and Danforth/Downtown. Why not build the SRT with Mk 2 cars between SCC and Fairview Mall and build the subway between Kennedy and SCC?

SRT is good enough if an area STC's size cannot justify better and I'd never endorse billions towards a line that'll serve less communities than it did 22 years ago. Sheppard shouldn't have been a subway in the first place and if we insist on expanding it, it'll be another 30 years before it reaches STC, by which time it's being may not even be warranted. However if we lower our standards somewhat and embrace other technologies not only would STC be served alot sooner, the areas beyond the Town Centre also get rapid service.

Not that any other route isn't hell during rush hour, but no matter how many buses are put on the sheppard route the streets and buses are still packed especially between vic park and kennedy. Usually you see the old asian ladies walking faster than the buses can crawl.

just to cause a ruckus... hows about changing the sheppard subway to rt technology or articulated streetcars? hah good luck

"Not that any other route isn't hell during rush hour, but no matter how many buses are put on the sheppard route the streets and buses are still packed especially between vic park and kennedy."

The 190 really shaves off time...if a Sheppard bus leaves the station 5 minutes earlier the 190 may catch up to it by Vic Park. The left turn onto Sheppard is often a nightmare, though.

Ugh, can anyone tell me, besides connecting to a rapid bus service, what else is planned for the surrounding neighbourhood of the 407 stop >: ? Condos? Townhouses? Office Buildings? Malls? What? Building a station to serve a highway is baffling to say the least, any thoughts?

theres a cemetery there, i'm sure ridership will increase 10fold because of that:lol don't expect much to happen until closer to the time when the subway is built as more people will be attracted to developments then

^ Remember that in the olden days streetcar lines used to be built deliberately to cemetaries, and streetcar companies rented out funeral cars to take people to the cemetaries.

Maybe the TTC should take a page out of that and make a "funeral train".

what else is planned for the surrounding neighbourhood of the 407 stop

The 407 Transitway stop plan as laid out in the EA uses a big chunk of the developable area on that block for a parking lot and a transitway in a trench. Across the street there is a cemetary. To the south there is a wide hydro corridor. Did the Vaughan plan call for the parking lot and transitway to be built intellegently under the hydro corridor since not must else can exist there? Hell no, they put it on the only developable land on that block. This is afterall the city which despite a first report telling them that it made sense to put a city hall at the Vaughan Corporate Centre commissioned a second study to pick the planned future city hall site across from the current one in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a subdivision. Is Mayor Freebase still the mayor in Vaughan?

HTML Comments are not allowed
?

okay whatever, ill try again.
the ttc might as well build up another intersection to vaughan mills mall so that people will use the subway in the off-peak hours. and then after that, it could be the first subway to a theme park!

MTR in Hong Kong beat us to having a subway to a theme park a long time ago.

Plus it could be argued that Coney Island was a theme park (at least a predessor to what we call theme parks now) - it had BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit, not Bus Rapid Transit) service since the 1890s.

Thanks for the info guys.

the ttc might as well build up another intersection to vaughan mills mall so that people will use the subway in the off-peak hours. and then after that, it could be the first subway to a theme park!

I've always thought about that. If done at grade to save $ the line could easy well serve Lanstaff, Rutherford and Major Mackenzie before veering east to meet Maple GO and Town Centre (Keele/Major Mac). Vaughan Mills and Wonderland would each have probably 10,000 ppd respectively, higher during the park's open season.

I suppose that the york region transit would want the profits from busing up to those landmarks though, since i'd assume they will not get any money from subway fares

Subway plan

Does anybody else think that this development is not very significant, why was the downtown ignored? If they really care about the environment, why not expand the subway line where it will truley help the environment by providing transit to where the majority of people go :\

Back