1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 750     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Spadina Subway Extension

M

mpolo2

this little Appointment Notificaiton came up on B13 in the Globe this morning...(probably nothing, but just putting the new fact out there)...

York University Development Corporation

Print Edition 07/02/06 Page B13

Christopher WongN.W. Bud Purves, President of York University Development Corporation (YUDC) is pleased to announce the appointment of Christopher Wong as Director of Transportation and Master Planning. In this new role, Mr. Wong will assist York University with development and implementation of planning and policy issues related to transit initiatives affecting the University. He will focus on the proposed Spadina Subway extension as a community-building transit corridor for north-west Toronto. Mr. Wong is a graduate of Carleton University and has 20 years of experience in municipal planning and private sector land development.

Good news, at least the project's not dead in the water.

York University / Spadina Subway Announcement

There are very strong rumours circulating that there is going to be a funding announcement for the Spadina Subway Extension on March 23.

The provincial budget is scheduled the be read in the legislature on March 23. There will be a strong focus on infrastructure in the budget to support the Places to Grow growth plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe. One of the major infrastructure announcements is strongly rumoured to be funding for the Spadina Subway extention to York University.

Thanks for the heads up. The talk on infrastructure focus, if proven to be true, sounds heartening indeed.

AoD

There's an election coming next year. I certainly was expecting an announcement like that to come this year. Hopefully it will be more than just Spadina to York.

Let's hope this proposal goes through. For all the talk of which route deserves to be the priority and what kind of return we can get, the main concern to me is continuity in the mass transit infrastructure program. There will be times when funding will be difficult, when projects will be delayed and when other priorities will become fashionable but it is a shame that we are so rudderless and visionless at the moment. Every year of delay we loose efficiencies gained through expertise from previous projects. Moving slowly even at a very modest pace say one station built every two to three years, is better then dropping the file and having to wake up a decade from now and start from scratch.

if the funds are there on the 23rd, when does construction start? :)

can a shift in government put the project in danger?

^ there will be another government in a couple of years, every minority always falls in Canada, I find it such a waste of taxpayers money, sigh... so when it comes to the federal government giving money, I can see it being a while until there's a majority government :eek

"if the funds are there on the 23rd, when does construction start?"

The 23rd century.

there will be another government in a couple of years, every minority always falls in Canada, I find it such a waste of taxpayers money, sigh... so when it comes to the federal government giving money, I can see it being a while until there's a majority government

It will be a provincial government funding. Just to let you know, minority governments do fund programs and projects. Previous budget funding is still in effect on numerous initiatives.

i think it's a slim chance that john tory would cancell the project if elected. it could quite possibly be one of those political suicide things.

No way would Tory can the project. This one is a sure thing...if it gets started. You can thank the 905 for that.

Somewhere, Are Be is smiling, nodding his head, and muttering, I told you so, I told you so...

Back