News   Jul 18, 2024
 363     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 764     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ward 2, it's up 2U (#2)

Number 2 seems to be a real theme in this meryl tea, dontcha think?

I can understand some Ward 2 folks baskin' in the radiated fame (shame?) of St Rob of Rexdale. But what else is in it for them? It's not as if he's going to work or anything.

He may be too sick to perform his duties. When he was well, he wasn't so
hot at punchin the clock, in spite of his ability to punch other things, e.g. faces. He'll still be available for selfies and magnets (inshallah), so why not elect someone who will actually do the work and leave our tired hero alone?

Vote yes for Andray, and the world news will report that kraken smoken skandalburgermeister has been driven out of his home turf because his fellow burghers have lost their patience with the man. Ward 2 David slays Goliath.

Vote yes for Rofo, and the world news will report that Canadians can't seem to get enough of the man, and they've returned him to Toronto city hall. Hardy har har har (eh?)!

Or to put it another way, if Kim Kardashian was staying in Toronto for a few months (filming a reality tv show, say) and she offered to be Ward 2 councillor in her spare time, would you vote for her?

(hey it's not that much of a stretch, endless pails of ink have been spilled about Kim's bum *and* Rob's.)

The Reform party destroyed and consumed the remains of the PC party. Remember that? They rebranded themselves as Alliance......then the Conservative Party of Canada.

And what better way to pick up momentum and supporters than a quixotic run at the leadership of the party you're planning to destroy.

"SHAME on @johntoryTO! Proved he doesn't care about transit!!"
https://twitter.com/ttcriders/status/511635860098670592/photo/1

And how many debates has JT done compared to Doug?

It must feel like stepping into a boxing ring every time you go into one of those things. Tory looks healthy, but even so - at age 60 ( Doug is 49 ) - it must take its toll after a while.

I wonder if the Tory camp is thinking that they don't want to be in a debate without Doug. Tory and Chow going head to head gives Chow a chance to win back some of the progressive support she has lost to Tory, making it a close three way race with the potential for Doug to come up the middle. I'm guessing that Tory wants to continue to be seen as the anti-Ford candidate, and so wants to go toe-to-toe with Doug and win in the debates, while also marginalizing Chow as the third place candidate, unable to stop Ford from winning.

I wonder if the Tory camp is thinking that they don't want to be in a debate without Doug. Tory and Chow going head to head gives Chow a chance to win back some of the progressive support she has lost to Tory, making it a close three way race with the potential for Doug to come up the middle. I'm guessing that Tory wants to continue to be seen as the anti-Ford candidate, and so wants to go toe-to-toe with Doug and win in the debates, while also marginalizing Chow as the third place candidate, unable to stop Ford from winning.

As long as Doug lays low at the Sinai, I can't anything good for Tory if he shows up at debates. JT should let it be known that he is taking a break from the debate circuit until Doug feels ready to join them. That will likely put pressure on Doug to start showing up for them, or drop out of the race to care for his ailing sibling.

Um....Casita, if you were paying for them at the airport, I'd switch airlines.

Well, you do get dinner and a movie.

Last edited:
I don't think so....as I said before, I think the strategy behind Doug Ford running for mayor is a Ford belief the whole thing is win-win. He either wins the mayoralty or he parlays what he expects will be a solid second place showing into a run for the Ontario PC leadership.

(Just like John Tory did)

Doug running for mayor based on a Frodulent belief that he can parlay anything out of it into an OPC leadership, well Thug is entitled to believe anything he wants I'll give him that much. I'm not a fan of J-Tory, but I will say that even with his foot in mouth disease and unnerving habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory aside, he does\did represent an image that the OPC would much rather have vs Doug. Maybe, maybe Doug's chances was better before he became councilor\co-merryl of the Frod Follies circus.

Thug Ford's brand now? I will say again, Chernobyl grade. Among low info voters and hard core Fordites, Thug might still skate by. But for politicos who are in charge of looking and vetting people? My bet is Thug's name is mud. Politics aside and speaking out of pragmatic cynicism, I doubt Doug's name now at least brings in the type of numbers the OPC is interested in. He fancies himself a great businessman\CEO figure, but he screwed the pooch on a lot of things during his co-merrylship. Doug might even be a worst closer than Hudak and Tory combined.

I loathe these Harperites \ ex reformers tea party type tories. But even they're not that stupid all the time. The big leather chair and the green jacket are for closers only. Doug hasn't closed anything major aside from their own Ford camping offices so far.

If Doug wins this merryl race, I will gladly apologize, admit how wrong I am and recant my words, and I will donate 20$ to Doug's "Keep the autists at home" charitable foundation.

From one of the resident geniuses on IHTWOMRF:

I am voting for Doug as Major and Rob as counselor , they are our Kennedy's and Toronto is our Camelot . To all the haters I will not comment to the hater so you can all go fuck yourself. Ontario and especially Toronto is the back bone of Canada and so Is Alberta. So it will be great for Doug to stop the gravy train and get new counselors.

Not likely a post mayoral career like David Miller.

"Following his term as mayor, Miller rejoined the law firm of Aird & Berlis LLP where he specializes in international business and sustainability. He splits his time between Toronto and Brooklyn, New York where he accepted a three-year appointment at the Polytechnic Institute of New York University as Future of Cities Global Fellow and will teach courses on finding technological solutions to urban problems."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Miller_(Canadian_politician)#Post_mayoral_career

I just wanted to see what a guy with no thumbs looked like. :D

I've heard of pool hustlers getting their thumbs broken, but who the heck would cut them off?

LOL I know what you meant, and you know I make more than my share of mistakes! haha

I guess you were never subjected to "Struwwelpeter: Merry Stories and Funny Pictures by Heinrich Hoffman, 19th century German psychiatrist? The Story of Little Suck-a-Thumb gave me nightmares: http://www.edcourtenay.co.uk/musings-of-an-idiot/2009/08/05/TheStoryOfLittleSuckaThumb
I think it was the head-shaped keystone and capitals; the eyes follow...:eek:

Cautionary tales for young minds.

Politically, ( speaking only as an outside observer ) I would guess that the safest path for Doug would be to continue his bedside vigil at Mount Sinai. Scrum a little in the parking lot at MSH, but stay out of the debates ( trenches ) until the last possible moment.

Let Tory and Chow fatally weaken each other at the debates in their long war of attrition ( like Germany and Russia did on the Eastern Front ). Postpone Operation Overlord / Douglord until the last possible moment. Then come on the debate circuit with guns blazing. ( Figuratively speaking, of course. )
D-Day = Doug-Day!

That was the advice Churchill gave Roosevelt, and it worked.

Ix-nay on the elp-hay, Casista. Jeez!

Tonight's debate is on Rogers TV. Channel 63 on Rogers in Scarborough.

There is a podium for Doug but he isn't going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back