567     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

"But by some business measurements, Ford has seen success. Under his tenure in Toronto, unemployment in the area has fallen to 7.1 percent in September from a high of 11 percent."

This is exactly how someone like Ford is perceived successful - he simply says something, and then other media outlets will repeat it without any context or evaluation...and in the public's eyes, it becomes true.

Not that it isn't true; unemployment has dropped during his tenure, but he's unable to point to any policy that has led to the decline (except for a vague 'cleaning up the city').

"But by some business measurements, Ford has seen success. Under his tenure in Toronto, unemployment in the area has fallen to 7.1 percent in September from a high of 11 percent."

This is exactly how someone like Ford is perceived successful - he simply says something, and then other media outlets will repeat it without any context or evaluation...and in the public's eyes, it becomes true.

Not that it isn't true; unemployment has dropped during his tenure, but he's unable to point to any policy that has led to the decline (except for a vague 'cleaning up the city').

If unemployment has actually gone down that much - from 11% - 7% (I honestly don't know if these figures are correct) . It doesn't matter if policies of Rob Ford contributed to the decline. It is the nature of politics that a politician gets credit for all the good things that happens under their watch and they get the blame for all the bad things that happen under their watch - whether they deserve the credit or blame. That's why they say timing is everything in politics.

If unemployment has actually gone down that much - from 11% - 7% (I honestly don't know if these figures are correct) . It doesn't matter if policies of Rob Ford contributed to the decline. It is the nature of politics that a politician gets credit for all the good things that happens under their watch and they get the blame for all the bad things that happen under their watch - whether they deserve the credit or blame. That's why they say timing is everything in politics.

Unemployment in Toronto was 8.4% when Ford took office and is 7.7% now almost 3 years later, a drop of 0.7%. In comparison, the rate dropped 1.6% in Miller's last 16 months in office.

I think voters are smart enough to know that Ford had nothing to do with the end of the recession! I can think of exactly one way Ford can decrease the unemployment rate in Toronto: by f*cking up TCHC so bad that the unemployed have to move out of the city, so they don't get counted in the data.

A friend of mine works for one of the mainline media organizations and is on the Ford/Traveller investigative team (there are a lot of resources being poured into this by everyone). Ran into them a few days ago and they shared:

1. TPS does not have a copy of the video
2. Siad is believed to have stored at least one copy for safekeeping with a family member or friend
3. Project Traveler is not just an Etobicoke investigation. The gang had a downtown distribution channel under the cover of a legitimate retail operation, and that has relevance to the Ford side of the story

The info is second hand and I've left out some of the more specific details, so YMMV. Discuss.

The Star is now formally reporting that TPS is not (or at least was not) in possession of the video.

Where do you get that from the article?

"Everyone, certainly police included — and, as the Star earlier reported, members of Ford’s own staff — have been looking for the incendiary cellphone video, a scandal that blew up like a grenade in the mayor’s life in late spring. Ford has said he’s never seen the video and he doesn’t smoke crack. As of a month ago, police had not come into possession of the video."

"Everyone, certainly police included — and, as the Star earlier reported, members of Ford’s own staff — have been looking for the incendiary cellphone video, a scandal that blew up like a grenade in the mayor’s life in late spring. Ford has said he’s never seen the video and he doesn’t smoke crack. As of a month ago, police had not come into possession of the video."

It's clear from her writing style that she's just speaking generally. This is Rosie DiManno. The point of the piece is to muse, not report facts.

That the police do not and never have had possession of the video would be a pretty significant revelation. If the Star were to report it, it wouldn't be said off hand in a column.

Last edited:
I don't know one way or the other. I was just pointing out where in the article the information came from. It doesn't read like musing though. It sounds pretty matter-of-fact.

I don't know one way or the other. I was just pointing out where in the article the information came from. It doesn't read like musing though. It sounds pretty matter-of-fact.

It doesn't? The headline of the article and the introductory paragraph are both questions. That's musing.

Regardless, the idea that the police do not and never had possession of the video is just wrong. Trust me.

I think voters are smart enough to know that Ford had nothing to do with the end of the recession!

The same voters who voted Ford into office in the first place? They're demonstrably not smart enough to vote, so how do suppose they're smart enough to determine cause-and-effect of changes in macroeconomic circumstances?

It doesn't? The headline of the article and the introductory paragraph are both questions. That's musing.

Regardless, the idea that the police do not and never had possession of the video is just wrong. Trust me.

So the Star has a public position that there is no video in Police hands, and that's consistent with what I heard a month ago. Ignoring irrelevant non-sources like Kinsella, can you support your position with additional context? Interested to know more.

Leftists? What has this got to do with right/left? The Mayor of Toronto is a cocaine addict, and your worried about left/right?

If this is left/right, then does that make Tories all druggies? No. Stop trying to turn this into something it's not. It isn't about left/right.

It's about a wife-beating drug-addicted bigot lying and stealing taxpayers money. I'm sure it's not only leftists who are against this.

Well, politicians have a tendency to deceive when it's in their own self-interest:

"On a national television broadcast that night, Kennedy said that he had not been driving "under the influence of liquor" nor had he ever had a "private relationship" with Kopechne.[14] "

"Ted Kennedy: The Senator of Sleaze who was a drunk sexual bully... and left a young woman to die"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...drunk-sexual-bully--left-young-woman-die.html

"In a speech to Congress on March 4, 2009,[10] Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Gordon Brown announced that Kennedy had been granted an honorary knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II for his work in the Northern Ireland peace process, and for his contribution to UK–US relations.[11]"

Just sayin';)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back