News   Jul 03, 2024
 138     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1K     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

I'm starting to picture a ride similar to a wagon pulled by a bicycle and someone trying to stand up in it.

This is not the first cable-car peoplemover that Doppelmayer has built. Why would they have this ride problem?

Probably because every one is different, which is why they have a TEST period.

"the $150 million system"
"Winters said that makes Link cheaper to build and operate than a light rail system."

I thought LRT was $10 million per km, not $100 million, or is this a typo?

It's probably more costly because it's built three stories in the air and they had to build all the required support infrastructure. I think that building an LRT probably costs $10 million per km assuming you already have maintenance yards. The LINK needed to have the maintenance shed built in addition to just the track.

I'm sure it simply means the cost of including tracks in existing streets. This people mover has elevated supports for its entire length. I'm a little puzzled by that $10 million figure, too, since I think the little waterfront connector from Spadina to Bathurst cost in excess of $50 million.

I'm sure it simply means the cost of including tracks in existing streets. This people mover has elevated supports for its entire length. I'm a little puzzled by that $10 million figure, too, since I think the little waterfront connector from Spadina to Bathurst cost in excess of $50 million.

That had to do with building a tunnel down Bay St, a Portal on Queen's Quay, the loop at Union and Spadina station.

Otherwise, you are looking at $10-$15 m/k for grade level.

You could build an elevated LRT for about $50-$75m/k and be able go far beyond what this people mover can travel to.

AP: If test passengers are being thrown about and luggage is falling to the floor, then it seems the GTAA have either let reporters, or the people who would talk to them, on too soon. I completely understand what tests are, whether in ALL CAPS or simply in lower case, but it would seem from the reports that the degree of trouble with the people mover's ride is beyond what one should expect from a company that has installed more than a couple of these already.

See, my expectation with any complex system is that there is a lot of tweaking and debugging that goes on before launch and continues thereafter.

That had to do with building a tunnel down Bay St, a Portal on Queen's Quay, the loop at Union and Spadina station.

No, I mean the little extension of the existing Harbourfront line to connect it with the Bathurst streetcar running to the Exhibition.

May have to do with the acceleration and decceleration at stops - after all, it is grabbing on to and off of a cable - think of the jerkiness of a ski chairlift. I can't recall how jerky the Vegas one was.

Let's hope that's what it is. I've been on the Mandalay Bay/Luxor/Excaliber Doppelmayer cable car in Las Vegas too, and there were no problems with jerkiness on it.

I'm always encountering jerks on public transit. I think it is something we just learn to live with. A few jerks out at the airport won't kill us.

Someone pointed out to me that the Orion VIIs (the lousy new low floor buses) have a jerk-o-matic transmission. I'm becoming more and more inclined to agree.

(Why can't they make buses as good as New Looks or rail vehicles as good as the PCCs anymore, I don't know)

I was invited to the official opening of the line today at 10:00AM.

Can't make it, however, it's good to go starting today!

Louroz

Back