News   Jul 22, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 555     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

I have used the one at Frankfurt main terminal and that ride was fairly smooth.

If its such a bumpy ride how did GTAA or Fed Transport agency approved it. I mean from the article it seems like children and Senior citizens should not use the new train.

Just a few photos and videos from my first trips on the Pearson APM, going to and from the Terminal 1 Hammerhead pier open house.

Aside from the shaky cable car system, I think the Pearson APM, despite its shortness, could be the best rapid transit line in the GTA. It seems to have everything that we want to see with the subway system... automated announcements, electronic signs everywhere, platform screen doors, and stations that are clean, well-lit, well-designed and always sparkling clean with good signage.

With the electronic signs counting the arrival time of the next train down to the second, we might say that the GTAA went a bit overboard to make this line look good.

Photos

P1050668.jpg

Viscount (reduced rate parking) station entrance

P1050669.jpg

Inside Viscount station

P1050670.jpg

Platform screen doors and electronic sign

P1050671.jpg

P1050673.jpg

P1050675.jpg

Route map- the sign looks like it came out of a shopping mall, but still looks good

P1050676.jpg

P1050679.jpg

P1050680.jpg

Terminal 1 station

P1050681.jpg

P1050763.jpg

Train interior

P1050764.jpg

Train interior

Videos

Train pulling into Viscount

Platform view of train at Viscount

Viscount to Terminal 3

Terminal 3 to Terminal 1

If the technology could be applied over long distances elsewhere in the city, i'd gladly take it over nothing.

Amazing what happens when the private sector is allowed to build stuff.

Amazing what happens when the private sector is allowed to build stuff with $5 billion in financing.

I'm just trying to imagine what the media and public reaction would have been if the public sector had built this exact same project for the exact same cost.

I'm trying to figure out how the private sector built the airport.

Sure, construction companies are private, but virtually all construction activity in Canada is done by private construction companies and trades. I assume this isn't what you mean or 401 was also privately built and a fine example of what we get when the private sector builds stuff.

GTAA is about as independent of government oversight as Toronto Hydro, the LCBO, or the Toronto Port Authority, etc. Crown corporations can do essentially anything they want, until they mess up really badly and it becomes political again (Ontario Hydro anyone?).

Do you mean the source of funding? Issuing bonds? If that's the case, then virtually everything the City of Toronto builds is also private to a certain extent. Almost all new construction and many large repairs in Toronto raise capital funds by selling bonds or taking loans. The only exceptions are when the province or feds kick in some money.

Payments to the bonds come out of the operational budget. So, when Toronto borrows $X in capital this year, we're really only borrowing about $X-$Y since we pay out $Y on existing loans from the operational budget. I think expected numbers are $X=500M and $Y=300M, but I'm not entirely sure.

For example, the new subway purchase is about 30% privately funded; TTCs portion if the Feds come through. It will be closer to ~60% privately funded if the feds don't contribute towards them.

I think I read somewhere that out of a total airport redevelopment budget of $4.5 Billion, the GTAA spent $56 Million on the people mover.

The stations are very sleek, I especially like the sign displays that tell you to the second when the next train is arriving, and the train itself looks great; plus it has really reduced the need for inter-terminal busses, but the ride is really bumpy...you would think, for $56 million, they could get a smooth ride. My understanding is that Lou Turpen, the former CEO of the GTAA, being an American based in San Francisco, was greatly concerned that the train would not be effected by winter conditions, especially freezing rain, hence the decision was made to go with the cable system, safer in winter weather, but with a bumpier ride than other methods.

I like it though, definitely futuristic, with a great view over the terminals, fast and efficient, just a bit bumpy.

You mean slow and bumpy rides in a cheap vehicle on a steel cable?

I've used the APM a number of times since it opened. I find it very convenient to get to the terminals from the Reduced Rate Parking Lot across the street from T3. I took advantage of the discount offered at the GTAA website for only $52.00/week. What a deal!
Here is the link
for the coupon. Unfortunately this offer expires December 31, 2006.

BTW, hold on to your luggage on the APM, it is very shaky and they tend to fall over if you sit them upright.

Hmm...does this mean we've caught up to Newark, which has had one of those little tram things running from the 3 terminals to the garage and the train station for years?

No, we haven't caught up with Newark ap. You mention it yourself - Newark's (not shaky) people mover goes to the train. It connects with both New Jersey Transit and Amtrak trains in fact, and because of the easy transfer and fairly frequent service into Penn Station in New York, Newark has become my airport of choice when flying to the Big Apple.

Maybe if Toronto had competing airports we'd finally get a rapid transit connection to Pearson. (And no, the City Centre Airport doesn't count.)

Mmm, no we probably still wouldn't.

Maybe if Toronto had competing airports we'd finally get a rapid transit connection to Pearson.

I think all three - LGA, JFK, EWR, are controlled by PANYNJ, so I wonder if they actually directly compete. I know JFK is the designated International and Transcontinental airport, LGA is for short flights, but not sure how it works.

The problem with the pearson apm is that it can't be extended to the GO/VIA line without loss of frequency - only one car can be on each cable. But then GTAA were relying on SNC-Lavalin to build Blue22 so I guess they went with a solution for the car park only.

The Pearson apm is sufficient for the airport only. Weston SUB currently can't accomodate all-day commuter service without building more tracks and adjacent space for that is limited. It makes far more sense to extend a line up 427 and Renforth from Kipling to meet with it. Alternatively we could wait a lifetime for the Eglinton Line.

Back