News   Jul 22, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 615     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

National Post

LINK :) to article

It's a 'Bumpy' ride from full stop to takeoff
31/2-minute trip. Airport's $150M monorail links parking lots to terminals

Peter Kuitenbrouwer
National Post

Thursday, July 06, 2006

I have seen the future, and it is bumpy.

The future is the new $150-million "Automated People Mover," known as the "Airport LINK" and built by Doppelmayr Cable Car of Wolfurt, Austria, complete with three Star Trek-esque stations, which opened for a media preview at Lester B. Pearson International Airport yesterday.

The thing looks like a train but works like a clothesline. On either end is a huge steel spool. A three-kilometre cable runs between the spools. As you clip clothes to a line, they clipped the trains to the cable. The train also has wheels, which roll on a narrow track two storeys above ground.

And just as clothes bounce when you reel them in, the train bounces its riders as the cable moves. The LINK tossed around CTV cameraman Chris Williams like a leaf yesterday.

"I'm getting ready to take a tackle here," Mr. Williams said, bracing himself with his legs spread to film reporter John Musselman.

"The ride is a little bumpy," Mr. Musselman told his audience, gripping a pole. "But the total trip from the Viscount Station [Pearson's long-term parking lot] to Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 will take about 31/2 minutes."

The train, which will cost $1.5-million a year to operate (not including the hydro bill), replaces the buses that did the circuit from the parking lot to the terminals. It opens to the public this afternoon.

Having walked from Toronto's southeast edge to its northwest tip, it seemed only fitting I end my hike with a ride on the new train. (Full disclosure: I didn't actually walk to Pearson, though I wish I had: I got stuck in vicious traffic on Highway 401, courtesy of a jackknifed tractor-trailer.)

Pearson airport these days is quite the place: the hubris of its empire-builders seems to have no limit -- and this is already the biggest capital project in Canadian history.

Two years ago Pearson opened its $3.6-billion Terminal One. So far, less than half of the vast terminal is in use. That will change next January, when Pearson plans to close Terminal 2 and activate the rest of Terminal 1.

"If you think this is cool," Lloyd McCoomb, vice-president of planning and development for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, told me at the LINK launch yesterday, "wait till you see the high-speed people mover going in between the hammerhead and customs and immigration at Terminal One. There's this really neat piece of kit going in."

The hammerhead (the piece jutting out from the terminal where jets dock) also features a 400-tonne sculpture by Richard Scerra, he said.

Some were shaking their head at all this lavishness yesterday, specifically, John Tomkinson, an air traffic controller at Pearson who moonlights as a reporter for Aviation.ca.

"A $150-million train that serves a parking lot for 2,400 cars?" he said, incredulous. "Come on!" As he pointed out, Pearson passes its costs on to airlines. It costs $14,000 to land a 747 jet at Pearson, among the highest fees on Earth.

The LINK train does have its own internal logic. In January, 2007, the airport will begin to demolish Terminal 2 and that terminal's 5,500-car parking garage, which it will replace with a 10,000 car parking garage at the end of the LINK line; the overhead walkway to the future garage is already built. That will add to the 9,000 spots they've already built at Terminal 1.

"You can never have too much parking at an airport," said Gerry Winters, the project general manager for the ground side at Pearson.

Yesterday, crews hurried to paint lines on the long-term parking lot, which I needed a compass to navigate, and to plant trees around the LINK terminal.

On the plus side, the LINK connects to the Sheraton hotel, and yesterday the Sheraton fed reporters lovely burritos, sausage, fruit and pastry.

Pearson has also built a platform to accommodate Blue-22, the new high-speed train planned to connect the airport to Union Station.

So come on out for a ride! Long-term parking is just $59 a week. The LINK is a bit scary, sure, but better than a ride at the Ex: It's free, doesn't smell of cotton candy and there are no lineups.

Pearson has also built a platform to accommodate Blue-22, the new high-speed train planned to connect the airport to Union Station.

That's if Blue 22 gets built. How thoughtful of GTTA to assume that a peoplemover to Woodbine not be built instead, and build a platform for something that's considered all but dead (except in the minds of some people). And of course, the cable car can not be expanded.

How thoughtful of GTTA to assume that a peoplemover to Woodbine not be built instead, and build a platform for something that's considered all but dead (except in the minds of some people). And of course, the cable car can not be expanded.

Actually, GTTA didn't fund it. GTTA argued it was in their charter rules that they couldn't fund it so the Feds steped in and did it.

That said, a roughed in platform was probably only a few hundred thousand. The station exists to link the people mover with the parking lots. Adding one more concrete lip at a given height on the opposite side is pretty trivial. They definitely didn't lay the track.

They also made the assumption at some point that there would be a TTC connection on the East Side. This, and possibly the western parking lot extensions are what you will be sacrificing by extending to Woodbine.

www.gtaa.com/documents/ne...apter6.pdf

Finally! So does this link the infield terminal with the three as well? I remember when the T1 New first opened and flying to Toronto was a pain. Sure, it isn't a long bus ride, but having to get off the plane, board a bus, and then get off again is just annoying.

So does this link the infield terminal with the three as well?
The infield terminal is to be closed when Pier F opens. I think they've
reduced its usage quite a bit already. I believe it's going to be maintained as overflow space.

Thanks for the article Wylie! Enjoyed reading it.

There's a picture (I haven't read the entire article yet, so I don't know if there's more than one) at Aviation.ca

retaining the infield pier (not a terminal as it doesn't have it's own check-in) would be the right thing to do. Not only would it be good for overflow as pointed out but if there was a problem with a hammerhead (like the collapsed pier in Charles de Gaulle Paris) it allows capacity to be redirected while fixes are made.

As to the APM - sure the PM could be extended to Woodbine but since you can only have one train per track that means any passengers come at the expense of the car park (and at a wider frequency too). Seems like quite a dodgy design... the little minibuses do quite well any time I took one.

retaining the infield pier (not a terminal as it doesn't have it's own check-in)

The GTAA calls it the infield terminal, so I'm inclined to use their terminology.

I don't believe they've ever said anything about getting rid of the infield terminal. They've certainly put enough money into building it, and it has the capacity to handle internatlonal flights. Its a valuable asset for overflow.

The GTAA reports do indicate that the infield terminal will be retained so long as it is necessary to relieve capacity on the other buildings during construction. I can fish out a quotation if you want.

Pearson’s People Mover Goes Online With A Few Bumps
Written by J. Tomkinson – Aviation.ca Journalist
16:44z - 2006/07/06

Toronto --/Aviation.ca/ - Toronto’s Pearson International Airport unveiled today its newest item in the continued expansion and development of the facility: its Airport LINK train or Automated People Mover System. Originally scheduled to be operational by December 2005, the train will first begin operation for the public today, July 6th, 2006 at 2:30 pm local time. A bit late, and it seems for now, a bit out of place.

The rail Link will operate a round trip on each of its 2 trains approximately every 7 minutes between the new Terminal 1, Terminal 3, and the long-term parking lot. According to the GTAA, the designed capacity of the system is just over 4300 people per hour. Running automated 24 hours a day, a full capacity could run over 100,000 passengers daily from Terminal 1 to the currently 2400 long-term parking spots – that’s over 43 people per parking spot per day.

All this for only a $150 million capital cost outlay, and then $1.5 million operating cost per year. Remember your “Airport Improvement Fee†of $8 - $15 plus GST that the GTAA charges you the passenger to enter its grand facility?

The train is not really a ‘train’ as you would normally think of. It really is a ski hill chairlift set down on its side. The ‘train’ itself has no driver, no engine, and no brakes. The whole system is pulled along attached to a looping rope with the same concept as a clothesline. Built by Doppelmayr Cable Car (DCC) of Austria, the LINK is only the third of its kind in the world, none of which are actually in Austria.

Operation of the system has been contracted to DCC rather than run by the GTAA. A tour of the control room and a talk with operator Sean Best revealed an automated system looking a bit like a television studio with a wall of screens to monitor. The control room appeared to have 50 camera screens, several operator panels for the two trains, and multiple communication set-ups, including a bright red phone in the middle of his workstation. Sean has had 3 weeks training and works 12 hour shifts as a solo operator, responsible to ensure the trains computers don’t strand hundreds of passengers mid-track. I was told there were only 4 trained operators for the system to work these shifts but Operations and Maintenance Manager, Jeremy Wentzel said “all the staff really could operate the system, the Operators, Mechanics, and Managementâ€. I wonder why they hove operators then?

After a ride or two by yours truly, I was on the LINK with National Post writer Peter Kuitenbrouwer who remarked; “Is there a suspension system on this train?†Indeed a fair comment. I asked Jeremy Wentzel and was informed the train does indeed have a suspension, but I wouldn’t want my grandmother riding without getting a seat.

An additional touted feature was the system was its very low-noise operation. Given that it runs next to the on-airport Sheraton hotel, one could see this as an issue. I spoke with a Sheraton representative at the Terminal 3 station who was happily dishing out coffee and croissants to the media in attendance. Her remarks were that the hotel was already sound proofed and given its close proximity to the field noise isn’t an issue. It seems nice however to have a near silent train used next to Canada’s busiest airport.

That being said, long-term prospects for the train appear to have a good foundation.

The system will replace 3 buses this summer, and an additional 3 buses at the closing of terminal 2 this January. The current parking lot of 2400 spots served by the train has plans to be redeveloped into another high volume parkade. That development is not planned to be the size of the Terminal 1 parkade with its 8,500 parking spots but enough to bring the current parking of approx. 16,000 spots to nearly 20,000 according to Scott Armstrong of the GTAA.

The Terminal 1 design has already incorporated structure to enable the system to connect with a proposed rail link to the city of Toronto. Power systems for the train run off of the GTAA co-generation power plant, thus ensuring that when the next Ontario blackout occurs, the train will continue to operate along with the airport as a whole.

The simplicity of the LINK design will likely help during Ontario’s winter ice storms and freezing rain. Passengers at Pearson airport will warmly welcome this reliability in a facility known for its line-ups.

Overall, it’s a train. A $150 million train that goes 0.9 miles in 3 and a half minutes. It moves people from a small parking lot to an unfinished $4 Billion Terminal.

So, you be the judge, but I can just imagine what Clive Beddoe of Westjet and Montie Brewer of Air Canada would be saying in light of Toronto’s landing fees.

"A $150 million train that goes 0.9 miles in 3 and a half minutes."

Wouldn't it be cheaper to clone Roger Bannister and give out piggy-back rides?

img_sm_mural_whiteelephant.jpg

Son of Scarborough RT...

Back