News   Jul 03, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

Back on the topic (sort of) of the APM at YYZ...

Does anyone have any details on what the plan is for the train station at T1 for the Blue22? I know they haven't completed the EA yet, but the GTAA must have some idea of what the train station will look like.

Everything I have read said it will be co-located with the APM LINK station. But that station is 4 stories in the air. Is the station to be on the ground? Anyone seen anything that indicates what it'll look like?

Does the People Mover's current set up allow for a possible future extension to Woodbine (since they're gonna build a crazy mega "entertainment district")? I guess the airport itself might oppose this because people waiting for planes would zip over to Woodbine and spend their money there instead if they have several hours to kill.

So...when is it actually going to open? To be honest, it seems like a bit of an elaborate system to get over to the extended parking lots. An extension to Woodbine seems like a good idea, perhaps in partnership with the airport. Woodbine could pay for the extension and perhaps a fee to the GTAA, and the airport would gain an excellent facility for people on layovers.

It's not just about getting people to the parking lot. Check out the GTAA's REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST in development of the SOUTH 409 LANDs.

The GTAA intends that the South 409 Lands be developed and operated in support of and to provide services to, the various activities conducted at the Airport. Such support and services which the GTAA would permit on the South 409 Lands may include:
hotels;
offices;
meeting facilities; and
other associated amenities.

The foregoing does not represent an exhaustive list of all the permitted usesfor the South 409 Lands. Interested Parties must explain in their responses their intended business and development plan for the South 409 Lands.

The GTAA intends that the South 409 Lands be developed and operated in support of and to provide services to, the various activities conducted at the Airport. Such support and services which the GTAA would permit on the South 409 Lands may include:
hotels;
offices;
meeting facilities; and
other associated amenities.

Ahhh, probably means more strip clubs.

I ride the similar cable car at Newark airport quite often and was thinking that instead of building an expensive subway to Pearson, that they should do the same thing, in that, expand the people mover to the closest GO station (and then increasing GO frequency).

One thing I have noticed though is that they jip you, as they make the NJ commutter rail ticket very expensive going to Penn NY Station, vs other stations (ie. the next station is only a fraction of the price). They could do the same thing to pay for it.

I agree they should do that, atleast for now.
And yes they do jip you, I made that mistake on New Years.. lol

The original proposal back in 2000 was to run the people mover to a new Woodbine station at 27, but the Feds went with the Blue22 proposal instead.

Ahhh, probably means more strip clubs.

I've spent a few hours in strip clubs in other cities waiting for planes. A perfectly good way to kill time... :hat

I got an email yesterday from GTAA customer "service" one month after I sent in a question when the APM would be opening.

The answer given - no opening date has been set. Tellingly, they said that it was "scheduled to open in 2006", dropping the first quarter 2006 that used to be associated with the opening.

That's okay... uh, plenty of quarters left...

If the monorail had been extended to Woodbine, there would still be the problem of running enough GO trains through the corridor to make the service useable, without the Weston crowd screaming blue murder.

(Blue 22 murder?)

I think the Weston crowd would be okay with frequent GO service. They didn't want the frequent Blue22 trains that would be speeding through the corridor providing no benefit to them.

The People Mover is a first for the 905--it's the first non-GO rail-based "transit" facility!

I think the Weston crowd would be okay with frequent GO service. They didn't want the frequent Blue22 trains that would be speeding through the corridor providing no benefit to them.

Right, but how would GO trains rumbling through every 20 minutes or so have benefitted them directly? Is there a GO station in the neighborhood?

"Is there a GO station in the neighborhood?"

Yes. Weston Station at Lawrence Ave.

Back