News   Jul 22, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 556     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

There's lots of space for regional rail along the Weston Sub. The corridor is plenty wide up to Weston, thanks to two railways side by side, but lots of space between and surrounding partly due to removed service track and industrial spurs.

GO Transit is triple-tracking much of the corridor. It will build a four-track wide underpass at West Toronto!

There's even space to put a subway through, but we know you don't want a DRL. Better put a subway in the middle of a 12 lane expressway. Worked for the Allen.

Go to the DCC website - under "APM Systems" and "Configuration" it says that the system can be designed to have 4 trains with 2 bypass tracks. For the Pearson installation, it would require retrofitting, but an extension would require other changes too.

www.dcc.at/default.asp?pid=41

So is this TO's first fully automated rapid transit line? (apart from being is Mississauga)

This APM is about as much a transit system as the elevator in First Canadian Place. Cables pull it back and forth and the elevator doors open.

What I was referring to was the fact that, since the GTAA used not one cent of taxpayer money in funding the present expansion, it was not on the hook, design-wise, for the kind of "efficiencies" that made the Shepherd subway, for example, look so bloody terrible. Hence we get these beautiful APM stations, and a beautiful new terminal as well.

One might even call it visionary--not an adjective often applied to civic projects in or around Toronto, to the extent that such projects ever happen.

What about creating a semi-private Greater Toronto Transit Development Authority with the power to sell bonds and develop land? Then you might get some action on transit, instead of waiting for the right constellations to align for municipal, provincial, and federal appropriations.

My point, basically, is that the GTAA has pulled off quite a coup here, and I think there are real lessons for other infrastructure projects.

Re: .

The People Mover looks really good to me- sleek and modern. I haven't ridden on it yet- but how bad can it be in terms of bumpiness?

The People Mover looks really good to me- sleek and modern. I haven't ridden on it yet- but how bad can it be in terms of bumpiness?

Can you say "Rollercoaster"

You have to hold on to something, otherwise you are toss around along with your bags.

It looks nice, but that all.

If it was expanded to Woodbine GO Station as well to Eglinton Ave as call for, just think what the headway will be using only one car per track.

If this was an RT system, it may work with smooth riding system.

I'd like to see VIA trains stop there too - it's close to Brampton but I'd like to see Air Canada out of the market for services within 250km of Toronto, like London and Kingston. This will require some upgrading beyond Georgetown though.

Pearson would be the GTA's second largest rail hub if I was the Supreme Planner of the Kingdom of GTA.

Oh yeah! And through ticketing between VIA and YYZ to places like Montreal and London and Hamilton and Kingston! Just like Continental at EWR has through ticketing on Amtrak to New York and Philly, and BWI I believe has this as well.

Maybe if Toronto had competing airports we'd finally get a rapid transit connection to Pearson.

They are not competing at all. In fact, LGA is at peak for the most part as their hourly activity is restricted by the FTA in the amount of flights.

No, we haven't caught up with Newark ap. You mention it yourself - Newark's (not shaky) people mover goes to the train. It connects with both New Jersey Transit and Amtrak trains in fact

As already mentioned, Toronto's APM is a cable car, while both Newark's and Kennedy's airtrains are ALRT (where they allow for multiple cars per track while Pearson only allows one).

Newark has become my airport of choice when flying to the Big Apple.

If Pearson was going to follow NYC as an example, I would rather they follow JFK. The airtrain connects to subway stations, with a portion of the journey via overhead the highway. If YYZ could somehow add more cars per line, it would be great if they could connect directly to the Bloor line and the nearest GO station. But I can understand why you prefer NJ transit, more space for your luggage and quicker ride vs the subway.

Basically someone somehow has to tell SNC Lavalin to dissolve Blue 22, that there are plenty of other contracts out there and not to rock the boat. Blue 22 offered no interoperability with GO or VIA and apparently has a monopoly agreement with GTAA for rail based service into the airport.

If Pearson was going to follow NYC as an example, I would rather they follow JFK. The airtrain connects to subway stations, with a portion of the journey via overhead the highway.

The JFK Airtrain also connects with commuter rail at Jamaica. A large percentage of riders choose that route to Penn Station instead of taking the subway from Howard Beach.

Back