News   Jul 22, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

its not so much the bus ride, it seems that the plane will taxi longer.

torontosun.com/News/Toron...8-sun.html

Pearson set to roll out people mover
By TOM GODFREY, TORONTO SUN

Pearson airport officials say pollution and traffic congestion will be slashed at Canada's busiest air hub when their state-of-the-art electric people-mover gets rolling in six weeks.

The $56-million airport LINK, which is undergoing extensive tests, will begin shuttling travellers on elevated tracks to Terminals 1, 3 and staff parking this July -- just in time for the summer's peak travel period, Pearson officials said yesterday.

"Traffic around the airport will be eased once the buses are taken off the road," said Scott Armstrong of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA). "The LINK will reduce the number of buses on the road."

The shuttle system utilizes two hi-tech driverless trains with six cars each that can move more than 2,100 travellers hourly. The trains are pulled by cable along a 1.5-km track, a trip that will take less than five minutes. All train operations are monitored from a central control room. The shuttle ride is free and runs 24 hours a day.

"The system is totally automated," Armstrong said. "There will be no driver on board."

He said the link will help speed up travel in July and August, the airport's busiest months as people leave for holidays.

The Terminal 1 station is designed to integrate a planned rail link with Union Station, but that project is on hold. The train won't stop at Terminal 2 because it is being phased out.

Pearson is ranked number 28 among the world's busiest airports, handling almost 30-million passengers last year.

good news, glad its finally about to work, i saw it testing on friday night

Steve Munro's got some comments on the People Mover...

www.stevemunro.ca/?p=171

What amuses me immensely is the propulsion technology. The cars are pulled along by a “rope†to which they are attached. There is only one unit on each of two tracks and so collisions are impossible.

We technically savvy railfan types will recognize this as a blend of elevator and cablecar technology. Just think of the tourism potential if they hadn’t built an automated system! In my mind’s eye, I see GTAA staff, in a period conductor’s uniform with the title “gripman†(or maybe “gripperson†to be more 21st century about it). The cars could have lovely wooden trim, bench seats, and running-boards for the adventurous riders.

Wow, he should get out more, was what I was thing when I read that quote. The 'cable car' system at Newark has a lot more than 1 train per side. If anything, I think the tech is more practical tech than 'savvy', as using a cable/rope to transport things is quite oldschool. He must get a kick out of elevators. Its not like the tech uses poloraized magnets or a third rail. If anything, the cable car maybe proactical for shorter distances like an airport inter-terminal travel, but further expansion to GO stations nearby wouldn't in my opinion be the tech of choice due to the limited speed vs other tech?

www.dcc.at/default.asp?pid=41 - DCC Doppelmayr Cable Car provides the cars. They say the system is a "fixed grip assembly" between the car and the cable, which is "accelerated, decelerated and stopped by a stationary machine drive." I assume that means that the cars are permanently attached to the cable, and the cable actually stops running when a car has to stop. Therefore, I don't think you could run more than 1 car in each direction, unless you had them always stopping at exactly the same time.

The distance from the Viscount station to the rail line doesn't look like it's that far, though - perhaps the same distance as the existing installation. According to Ellis Don, the Toronto people mover "The system, which can be expanded up to 4 kilometers with five stations, will accommodate a peak capacity of 4,000 passengers in each direction." (source: www.ellisdon.com/ed/proje...=3088627). I know they have talked about a second station at T1 as it is expanded. No idea what the fifth station would be - perhaps it is the station at the GO.

Newark is an monorail, not a cable car system, so they can put multiple cars on the line. (www.wai.com/Newsletter/Fa...ews3.html)

Greg

Interesting. I don't know why I thought the airtrain was a cable car - I've riden it enought times. Its pretty easy though for me to believe it rides on guideways as I always like to ride at the first car looking out, and when it hits NJ rail station, I see the rails entering the station automatically flip between the 2 possible sides the train can enter. I always thought though it was pulled by a cable.

Anyways, its hard to believe, even though its a short track, that the capacity is 4000 per direction with one car. Especially when the cars don't seem to hold to many, especially if people have luggage.

According to MT, the line would be extended south to Eglinton Ave to service the subway and GO/MT 403 BRT.

If it was extended to a NEW Woodbine GO station, the line will be too long and will see poor service.

Another SRT system.

Hey... lets just go right downtown with this people mover. Instant pearson-union connection!

Sweet. I'm flying in from Tokyo on the 14th of July. I'm going to have to take a ride on it just to test it out.

Greg

According to MT, the line would be extended south to Eglinton Ave to service the subway and GO/MT 403 BRT

That makes the most sense. Along with the MT BRT and the Eglinton corridor where the Richview Expressway was supposed to be, you also have the hydro corridor which runs up and then along Finch, allowing you to do a BRT for Viva, or the fabled Finch RT.

The hyrdro corridor even crosses the rail line, so you could run rails down and build a train station. High speed rail from Lester B. Pearson to Union to Dorval to Gare Central!

Testing, testing, bump

Meet Link. He'll give you a bit of a bumpy ride, but he's a lot more convenient than taking a bus from a distant parking lot to Pearson airport.

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority yesterday staged a trial run of its three-station automated people mover — nicknamed Link. About 250 volunteers rode the 1.5-kilometre elevated-train system, offering their thoughts on what kinks need to be worked out before the $150 million system opens July 6.

The bumpy ride dominated the post-trial run conversation.

"I like the trains, but the ride needs a lot of improvement. It's very, very rough," said Gary Douglas, 48, an accountant, who thought the TTC subway was smoother.

"For elderly people, on days when it's going to be packed, that's a rough ride, and you have luggage falling over, people falling over."

"The trains are nice, but they're shaky. It's not a smooth drive," said Iqbal Bhutto, 50, a mechanical engineer.

"If you were someone who wasn't stable on their feet, you'd have to sit down," said Brampton's Kathryn Hodsoll, who came with her husband and two sons. "They almost need to warn people that standing is not recommended."

Others commented on the lack of clocks in the three stations, the lack of seating in the stations, loud air conditioning, and inability to hear public announcements.

Link project manager Gerry Winters said his staff would go through all comments.

"We're opening on 6th of July unless there was something catastrophic that came of this," he said.

People liked the openness of the stations, the countdown to the time of the next train, and the convenience.

Each train consists of six cars, each car can seat eight people, with standing room for 17 more including plenty of space for luggage.

There are two trains in total, each operating on their own track. Link can handle 4,300 passengers an hour.

It takes 3 1/2 minutes for Link to run from a discount parking lot off Viscount Rd. to Terminal 1, with a stop at Terminal 3 in between. The train doesn't go to Terminal 2 since it will soon be demolished as Terminal 1 continues to expand as part of a $4.4 billion redevelopment of the airport.

The trains were built by and will be operated by Doppelmayr Cable Car using cable-car technology. Unlike a streetcar, which has an onboard motor and wheels in a track, Link is merely pulled by a cable much like an elevator going sideways. There's also no operator on board.

Winters said that makes Link cheaper to build and operate than a light rail system.

Source: The Toronto Star

Rollerbags have a tendency to fall over even on the steadiest of terminal trains. I wonder how many bruised shins we can expect from getting hit by the handle of someone's bag.

Back