News   Jul 03, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 857     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.4K     0 

Pearson Airport Terminal LINK (Cable Car)

Well, 3 of us MapArters just went for an APM joyride over our lunchbreak.

Yes, it's a bumpy ride, but no-one was thrown from their seats on to the floor, and a water bottle sitting upright on floor stayed upright troughout the trip. It's a quiet train, and it was getting lots of use.

The stations are cool, with lots of white paint and muscular beams, especially Viscount which has an inverted vault ceiling, and it's all wonderfully clean at the moment.

I took pics and flciks, and will download them this evening, and then post them or links to them here.

In regards to the Infield Terminal, here's what they say on the GTAA page:

After the opening of the first phase of the New Terminal 1, the IFT will be used to maintain sufficient passenger processing capacity. It will accommodate the expected overflow of flights until the second phase of the new Terminal 1 building is completed and operational sometime in 2005/2006. Following that, the facility’s use will be dependent on the aviation needs of Toronto Pearson.

Quick Facts

* Infield Terminal consists of 11 gates
* Can hold 10 wide-bodied aircraft
* Has 200,000 total square feet
* Was built at a cost of $60 million

Considering how much money they put into it, it'll be useful to keep around as long as they need it. They've also put a lot of money into expanding Terminal 3, even though they plan to eliminate it as well in the long term.

even though they plan to eliminate it as well in the long term.
They also have an obsolessence plan for the new Terminal 1 as well -- that is, the basic steps required to rebuild it once it has passed its lifespan.

TTC is about to buy $700M worth of subway cars and already knows approximately when they will need to be replaced again.

When you deal with 30 to 50 year time frames there isn't very much that you can keep without a rebuild and substantial upgrades.

With the APM being attached to a wire I image that the APM going in the opposite direction arrives at T3 at the same time exactly as the one you are on. Is that the case? The stations have to be equidistant I would think.

The two cars are not on the same cable and therefore run independently of each other.

I guess it makes sense to keep the IFT until they don't need it. It's decent, at least. I flew out of T3 recently, and saw that they did indeed expand some of the end for more space, but it didn't seem like much more space. There seem to be a lot of booths that were empty there too!

Nice videos, interchange42! Can you add yourself and those two videos to my YouTube "Urban Toronto" and "Public Transportation" groups? That would be much appreciated.

The videos make the ride seem a lot like a roller coaster ride, minus the loops, of course. Also note that platform screen doors have finally arrived in Toronto... yay!

Nice videos - thanks!

Toronto's first platform screen doors!
Also, didn't notice an emergency catwalk for evacuations - esp. with the truss style guideway, you woiuld have though there would be one.

Excellent tour - thanks! Pearson keeps getting better and better all the time!

One/two words to describe the new GTAA People Mover and that it is a Rollercoaster ride.

Since I had time to kill before I could catch MT #7 from the Airport on Friday, I decided to checkout the new GTAA People Mover.

Stations are large and empty at 1630. Saw no more than 20 riders at any given time on the trains I saw. Each car can sit 4-6 depending on the size of the person using the seats. I would say each car can hold 25 or 150 at crush load for the train.

Real Time info as to when a train will arrive down to the second when it gets scrolled across the display board and it is for both trains at the same time.

The first train I caught sitting in the cab unite, there was only 8 of us. 2 worked at the airport and the other 5 were flight crews.

As we left Terminal 1, we were given a jolted movement and then some tossing from side to side. One of the airport employee said "I hate rollercoast rides and this people mover feels like a rollercoaster".

I was not prepared for the jolt as the train started to move since I was kneeling on one knee prepared to take some photos to the point I had to grab hold of a grab bar to hold on. I guess that is one reason they announce to hold on to something before the train starts to move as well moving.

Calls out the stations names.

One Captain said to another Captain, "this was the worse mover he has used compare to the ones he has used around the world". The other captain agrees with him and said "I wonder how much they spent building this thing?" I couldn't pass this up by telling what the cost was and they both said "don't get much for your money these days and
what a waste".

Someone asked if the shuttle buses were still in service as they prefer to use it compare to using this people mover and was told no as we arrived at Viscount Station.

There are screen doors at the terminal station open at the same time as the car doors.

Standing at both ends terminal, you can hear the pulley whining as it builds up speeds to start pulling the train.

It is a short ride and you get a great view as you travel from end to end.

Looking at both end stations to see if the existing system can be extended, the whole system would have to be shut down for months *if* any expansion is to take place. Viscount will have to be rebuilt if it is to connect with GO at the new GO Woodbine Station *IF* Blue22 dies.

Since there are only 2 trains on the system, the waiting time will be longer at the stations *IF* any extension every take place.

I believe it is the east track that gives the rougher ride going toward Terminal 1 Station. Regardless which track or direction you travel, it is a rough ride.

Over all, it is nice for an obsolete system and not worth the money.

Will be interesting to see what the ridership is in a few months.

Some Photos:

tinylink.com/?pZMqi6UL7L

Dave

Back