News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

From the Globe:

They seem to have conflated two issues - suicide vs. trespassing.

AoD

I think this is an important point when it comes to a solution-minded approach. Trespassers on lesser-used corridors that suddenly saw increased GO service are, IMO, at least somewhat likely to be habitual pedestrian users of the rail corridor rather than actively suicidal and seeking out an opportunity. The latter is much harder to prevent than the former, but the former raises important questions about the walkability of some of these areas and what brings people to them in the first place. Waterloo's Regionally-owned Spur Line (ex-CN Waterloo Spur/Waterloo Sub) got an official multi-use trail next to it in part because the entire rail corridor was one giant desire path, and trespassing was totally normalized. Similarly, trespassing incidents on the ION corridor have revealed areas of poor walkability, or where the ION impacted informal pedestrian patterns that weren't properly studied or considered, such as constant jaywalking at some intersections without legal pedestrian crossings. I'd hazard a guess that walkability is fairly poor in many of the suburban GTA areas that are suddenly seeing increased GO service.

According to BlogTO, starting Dec 1 until Feb 9, GO Bus/Train Riders anywhere on the system can get an unlimited train travel pass for Sundays, for $10.

It then goes on to explain how they're orchestrating this through a nonsensical system in which they mail you a pass etc etc.

There's an interesting marketing/awareness play here to drive up off-peak use.

Great.

But why not just simplify; for the Sundays in question program Presto to either cap what it takes off a car on that day at $10 for GO-related taps; or slash prices across the system by 50% on Sundays for the dates in question.

This business of having to fill out an application and wait on something being sent to you seems like needless complexity that will drive down uptake.

The article:

The actual explainer from GO

Last edited:
According to BlogTO, starting Dec 1 until Feb 9, GO Bus/Train Riders anywhere on the system can get an unlimited train travel pass for Sundays, for $10.

It then goes on to explain how they're orchestrating this through a nonsensical system in which they mail you a pass etc etc.

There's an interesting marketing/awareness play here to drive up off-peak use.

Great.

But why not just simplify; for the Sundays in question program Presto to either cap what it takes off a car on that day at $10 for GO-related taps; or slash prices across the system by 50% on Sundays for the dates in question.

This business of having to fill out an application and wait on something being mailed to you seems like needless complexity that will drive down uptake.

The article:

The actual explainer from GO

It's an instant email ticket...nothing is being done though snail mail, so there's no waiting involved.

^so it is only limited to the destination of choice, not unlimited travel across the whole system like the TTC day pass?

Seems to be entire network. My train geek friend and I are gonna have a Funday or two!
My understanding is that the pass only applies to a specific origin and destination which you provide when you buy the pass. In other words, you can't use the same pass to travel from Toronto to Markham plus a side trip to Niagara falls.

My understanding is that the pass only applies to a specific origin and destination which you provide when you buy the pass. In other words, you can't use the same pass to travel from Toronto to Markham plus a side trip to Niagara falls.

That sucks.
The foamer in me would want to ride the entire network on a given Sunday.

Back