News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 837     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^The RER, er, GO Expansion Business Case document has some pretty good drawings. They are notional ie plan designs, rather than current exact.

- Paul

In a document where positive pedestrian-friendly Hamilton LRT modifications were made, is a GO-station-related nugget that has a slight but unsurprising disappointment:

Hamilton Confederation GO station is not intended to begin operations till 2022-2023.

1575707831457.png

From Hamilton City Hall meeting PDF (from Hamilton LRT thread)

Regional Rail

"In March 2018, Metrolinx adopted the 2041 Regional Transportation Plan (2041 RTP) for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). The 2041 RTP identifies three Regional Rail projects within the City of Hamilton:

- Confederation GO Extension (West Harbour GO – Confederation GO);
- Niagara GO Service (Confederation GO – Niagara Falls GO); and,
- Lakeshore West 15-minute GO Service Extension (Aldershot GO – Hamilton GO).

Further details on these projects were provided by Metrolinx in their December 2018 GO Expansion Full Business Case. A summary of that Business Case and the implications for the City can be found in Report PED19061 received by Public Works Committee on March 19, 2019.

Since 2018, there have been several enhancements to rail service benefitting the City. Currently, there are a total of eight GO Rail trains that leave Hamilton in the morning peak and return in the afternoon peak; four from Hamilton GO Centre and four from West Harbour. There is no GO Rail service from Toronto to Hamilton in the morning or from Hamilton to Toronto in the evening.

Metrolinx is currently working with CN on the required infrastructure investments as well as long-term agreements needed to provide further service expansion into Hamilton. This includes completion of a third track along the CN corridor which will help unlock additional capacity.

Confederation Station

Work on the Confederation Station, located at Centennial Parkway and Goderich Road, has been on-going since 2018. In the short term, this station will serve GO Bus trips only. Work on the rail infrastructure to support a GO Rail station is continuing, and the current timeline for completion of a full GO Rail Station is 2022/2023.

Attachments

• 1575707775621.png
    1575707775621.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Work on the Confederation Station, located at Centennial Parkway and Goderich Road, has been on-going since 2018. In the short term, this station will serve GO Bus trips only. Work on the rail infrastructure to support a GO Rail station is continuing, and the current timeline for completion of a full GO Rail Station is 2022/2023.
It's crazy that less than 2 years ago, this project was "on track" for completion in 2019!

Yes, it did.

With some issues for transit conmectivity to Niagara Falls. The old GO bus location (Nash) was much better for people travelling by transit. The station is not well-optimized for local connectivity yet. It would be better if B-LINE bus (and future LRT) was extended from Eastgate to Confederation.

Well at least it will have local bus service soon:

An agreement with CP has apparently been reached to use the former GM spur over the 401 for the Bowmanville Extension.

A question about the extension was asked at the recent town hall at the 58:06 mark and the CP-GM spur reference comes at around the 1:01:40 mark (the time between is when the question finishes and the answer starts).

As a reminder:

Metrolinx-Options-for-Lakeshore-East-extension-to-Bowmanville_Page_1.jpg

Good catch!

That alignment seems to be a good balance between costs and service value. It retains the existing service plan more or less, actually improves it a bit by removing the split service to Oshawa GO, and cuts costs significantly.

My one concern is the train speeds around those curves. It will almost certianly add a few minutes to the train travel times.

Good catch!

That alignment seems to be a good balance between costs and service value. It retains the existing service plan more or less, actually improves it a bit by removing the split service to Oshawa GO, and cuts costs significantly.

My one concern is the train speeds around those curves. It will almost certainly add a few minutes to the train travel times.

They could bane them so that they can stay at speed.

Good catch!

My one concern is the train speeds around those curves. It will almost certianly add a few minutes to the train travel times.

I actually liked this alignment the best because while it goes to downtown Oshawa it doesnt require a spur line that completely ignores the currecnt Oshawa GO station and require a separate station to be built north of Oshawa GO.

I think the advantage of a single line without spurs (meaning not separate train trips and types from downtown, a single ride to Bowmanville) is an advantage that negates the couple of minutes that using the CP bridge might add.

I actually liked this alignment the best because while it goes to downtown Oshawa it doesnt require a spur line that completely ignores the currecnt Oshawa GO station and require a separate station to be built north of Oshawa GO.

I think the advantage of a single line without spurs (meaning not separate train trips and types from downtown, a single ride to Bowmanville) is an advantage that negates the couple of minutes that using the CP bridge might add.

Also, I think the new GO/VIA station was design in such a way to allow for an eastern extension without moving the building or access to the platforms.

1576168706865.png

Back