News   Nov 18, 2019
 64     2 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 306     0 
News   Nov 18, 2019
 413     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Mini retaining wall going in between the CP Tracks and the 4th track? cc @crs1026 @smallspy
Probably platform supports, or supporting the excavation of a tunnel extension, or maybe even lighting pole bases. It appears to be too far away from the CP tracks, and too close to a potential platform, to be for a retaining wall.

Dan

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
The tunnel extension(s) may be getting dug close enough to CP to need some temporary shoring next to the CP track, until the concrete is poured and excavations are filled in. Can’t imagine anything permanent is needed.

I was once told that back when the tracks were shifted around during GTS construction, up around the tunnel, some of the clearances between ML and CP were bobbled. Supposedly, CP had always intended to relay its double track down to Lawrence after GTS wound up, but the clearances no longer permit. Those jersey barriers are a bit of a demarcation as well as a safety measure.

I bet ML measures twice and cuts once this time around

- Paul

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Almost got confused there with the 409-401 tunnel. It's the Weston thing considered a trench and not a tunnel? :)

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just want to put it out there how lovely our newer stations are, the platform widths etc are actually great! I think the Stations on the GTS are all very nice and hold up well even against the likes of something like the London Overground. I'm also wondering if we might have a bit of a moment like the opening of a whole new network when the Crosstown opens given it will come along with:

-The Crosstown itself Opens
- Stouffville Line has double tracks from Kennedy to Unionville and all the stations along it become nice GTS style stations, likely supporting at least 2TPH all day and weekend service
- The GTS gets the final big push with Mount Dennis coming online, the 401/409 tunnel opening and the line supporting at least 6TPH all day and weekend service

This really excites me because the way I look at this the Crosstown opening comes as almost a new radial network for Toronto with service from Union to Mount Dennis, across Eglinton and back to Union at the Eastern Termini. This fully encompasses the inner sections of Lines 1 and 2 and has transfers to Line 1 and Line 2 at numerous points.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was once told that back when the tracks were shifted around during GTS construction, up around the tunnel, some of the clearances between ML and CP were bobbled. Supposedly, CP had always intended to relay its double track down to Lawrence after GTS wound up, but the clearances no longer permit. Those jersey barriers are a bit of a demarcation as well as a safety measure.

- Paul
I remember hearing that rumour back during the construction as well, but it's not true. CP has no intent to relay the second track through there, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Dan

Kraylin

Member Bio
Reaction score
We have really been making great progress on a regional network and as mentioned above once the crosstown becomes active combined with so many GO increases we are really starting to see results, let's hope it continues!!

Is there one good place/app to plan a regional trip on transit in the gta? What do visitors use!?

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
We have really been making great progress on a regional network and as mentioned above once the crosstown becomes active combined with so many GO increases we are really starting to see results, let's hope it continues!!

Is there one good place/app to plan a regional trip on transit in the gta? What do visitors use!?

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score

Both the 'Transit' app and Google Maps work well for the GTA and internationally

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
A really exciting transit upgrade program is underway in Toronto right now and most people haven't even heard of it! The Georgetown South corridor is getting it's 4th track enabled by a number of projects, including a whole new platform at Weston GO which we look at today!

As always if you enjoy the video consider sharing and subscribing!

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
A really exciting transit upgrade program is underway in Toronto right now and most people haven't even heard of it! The Georgetown South corridor is getting it's 4th track enabled by a number of projects, including a whole new platform at Weston GO which we look at today!

As always if you enjoy the video consider sharing and subscribing!

I was there yesterday!
20191008_103023.jpg

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Update on the 4th track on the Kitchener Line in Toronto between roughly Landsdowne-Bloor St W-Dundas St W.

Metrolinx has a roadmap for this region, a plan for more connections. We’re transforming the existing GO system to deliver a whole new rapid transit experience, making connections like never before. More transit is at the heart of everything we do. Adding a fourth track through Toronto (from Lansdowne to Dundas) on the Kitchener corridor is essential to improving service on that line, but construction will also allow for enhancements to the existing West Toronto Railpath in your community.

Please join Metrolinx and City of Toronto staff at an Open House on October 23 for the latest updates and information about the planned phasing of this work. Staff will be available to answer your questions, hear your feedback and share updated timelines.

The Open House starts at 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 23, 2019
George Chavalo Community Centre
50 Sousa Mendes Street
Toronto

For more information: www.metrolinx.com/kitchener
Please feel free to contact us directly at TorontoWest@metrolinx.com or 416-202-6500.

Attachments

torontocolin

Member Bio
Reaction score
They say Lansdowne to Dundas, but presumably they mean Lansdowne to Bloor or Keele? Lansdowne to Dundas is not very far, and the space for a fourth Kitchener track was already set aside in that part of the corridor.