News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 622     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 903     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Torbram Rd is now 100% grade separated, but not finished.

Surprised Halton Sub separation is still not finish. The handrail for the east sidewalk is missing as well some grading. Looks like still some roadwork for the northbound lanes still to be done.

The Weston Sub northbound lanes are open, but still back filling to be done on the east side, as well the top of the retaining wall. Was able to walk along the east sidewalk. A good chunk of the west retaining wall on the north side in place and could be all in place by year end. The south side is having the base of the retaining wall pour by year end and fully done by spring. By the summer, the whole thing should be finish.

Everyone is now happy as there is no more traffic disruption by trains and the trains don't have to slow down as much before for the construction as well traffic.

That's part of the solution - with the understanding that you can't have bridges/underpasses for all possible routes. At some point you have to create enough of a deterrence to track intrusion. Maybe what's needed is fences along the track to deter all but the most persistent of trespassers.

AoD

Fences already exist along most of GO's corridors, especially in the urban areas. They are only a deterrence so long as they stay intact, which isn't long.

As an example, there are fences along the Bala Sub within the Don Valley. There are a number of known places where the corridor is used for trail and park access, and after repair those fences are intact for less than 24 hours before the holes are made again.

A fence is only part of the answer. The ability to maintain access, in whatever way that takes form, is a very big part of it as well.

Dan

The Highway 27/Woodbine GO is idiotic in my opinion. If they have to move the station, it should be placed at Islington Avenue, which has local density and highway access.

That's a hazard of insisting private development pay for stations; they generally want it in an empty easy to develop location where they can sell around it, and not in a location convenient for current residents.

That's a hazard of insisting private development pay for stations; they generally want it in an empty easy to develop location where they can sell around it, and not in a location convenient for current residents.

Woodbine has advantages beyond private sector interest (which is a silly necessary requirement for any transit station), as it is close to Humber College, opens up connections to TTC, Brampton Transit, YRT and Miway, and has lots of room for expansion. It offers better bus access to Woodbridge and Bolton. Islington is a constrained site, even if they can use the Lowes property, because of the proximity to the Humber River ravine.

Highway 27/Woodbine is nowhere near Humber College, people would still have to transfer to a bus. Also the FW LRT will provide better access to Humber than this go station ever will.

Pics of new bridge spans installed at Confederation GO station above Centennial Parkway.

That means four tracks will be up and running when Confederation GO begins accepting trains.

4BF1D4A0-197E-4EF9-B449-33F832398313.jpeg
2045471E-9891-4471-9C83-F2C6645C81D8.jpeg

Highway 27/Woodbine is nowhere near Humber College, people would still have to transfer to a bus. Also the FW LRT will provide better access to Humber than this go station ever will.
Nontheless, Woodbine racetrack grounds is also potential prime development land, as it may not forever be 100% purely Woodbine racetrack grounds — there is sufficient surplus lands to make more multipurpose while still keeping portions to its legacy.

It (I believe) one of GTAA multiple options as a candidate alternate Pearson Hub location versus Malton, and the UPX track can theoretcially become a multistop Link II Sequel when electrified and modified/extended as a loop around Pearson grounds.

It is a theoretical alternate routing to connect Finch+Crosstown LRTs, though probably not the preferred routing. If that happens, Woodbine and Malton becomes equal for Humber College, as you need a transfer anyway. And Eglinton Crosstown would reach Humber College with a stop at Pearson GO Hub (which may be Woodbine).

That said, Malton is pretty high on the list too, though.

Masterplanning 150,000 people within 800 meters of Innisfil GO !?!?
That’s not even town...that’s literally City of Innisfil!

Now, that aspirational development is way more sustainable than the Bloomington Parking Garage Mahal. Metrolinx really needs to wean off the parking garage dependency (as necessary as they are, for the near-term to mid-term).

Impressive the council has signed off on it and the developer will 100% fund the $20M GO station, to open by 2023. Kudos if that happens, but that is a massive obligation. Step up to the plate, and do it properly!...

Props in that I don’t even see a parking garage in the Innisfil GO concept plan! It gotta be needed (temporarily / initially) unless they plan to develop densification rapidly like kudzu.

Last edited:
Some discussion about GO construction in this:

Will Metrolinx be adding two new tracks between West Harbour and Confederation?
AFAIK, one is track is currently funded between now and mid-2020s -- ultimately, a Metrolinx dedicated track all the way to Lewis Yard.

It's my understanding the capacity to have two added tracks is the long term plan.

If anyone would like to correct me on timing & track count... the plans have been in flux between Wynne and Ford, but it did surprise me that the spans are installed at Confederation GO to accomodate 4 tracks.

I wasn't expecting this timing, given Ford wanted to scale back Confederation to a simple platform (until a private developer comes onboard to build the station), but operationally it does make sense to track-it out, and since the bridge is in part federally funded...

Last edited:
AFAIK, one is track is currently funded between now and mid-2020s -- ultimately, a Metrolinx dedicated track all the way to Lewis Yard.

It's my understanding the capacity to have two added tracks is the long term plan.

If anyone would like to correct me on timing & track count... the plans have been in flux between Wynne and Ford, but it did surprise me that the spans are installed at Confederation GO to accomodate 4 tracks.

I wasn't expecting this timing, given Ford wanted to scale back Confederation to a simple platform (until a private developer comes onboard to build the station), but operationally it does make sense to track-it out, and since the bridge is in part federally funded...
The bridge built for Confederation will support 4 tracks, but only 2 in place at this time. The support for the other 2 are in place waiting for the bridges. The current 2 tracks have a nice kink to get over Confederation and can be seen on the west/north side from the crossing before it, as well where the loop is on the other side of the tracks.

Without those 2 track bridges in place, service can't carry on to NF.

What good is it for a P3 to build the stations as there nothing there for the P3 to build anything else other than the station???

Last edited:
^I can’t recall the findings of the ML station priority study, the one before Del Duca decided to politicise station location beyond all reality - how did Islington perform in term of ridership compared to Woodbine? There is certainly a case to be made for each, and those cases stand independent to the wishes of specific developers.

This is a perfect example of why Development based station placement is a crock..... a location may have phenomenal value as a transit hub, without being a moneymaker for a developer.

GO stations should make the best connections to the transit network. The principle of “we will build wherever someone else will pay” is seriously flawed.

- PUl

Back