1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 872     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PCs have been a disappointment also but that was expected. It’s what happens when we get populists. The NDP hasn’t been an effective party ever. They are there to spoil the left ballot. They don’t have any real shot at power. I predict the liberals will come back to official opposition in 2022 no matter who wins the leadership.

I think this is the first time a leadership candidate from one of ON's "big three" parties has run on this. Good for him. I'm very supportive too.
John Tory ran on a variant of this - and was soundly thrashed for it.
I suspect the same result, unless the media rallies around the Liberals to promote the idea.

I suspect the same result, unless the media rallies around the Liberals to promote the idea.

Uh, John Tory got thrashed for proposing to extend funding to all religious schools; not for proposing to abolish the separate school system.

What alternate time-line are you living in?

Uh, John Tory got thrashed for proposing to extend funding to all religious schools; not for proposing to abolish the separate school system.

What alternate time-line are you living in?
Treating all religious schools as equal sounds like a variant of this Liberal proposal to not treat 1 religious school as more equal than the others.

var·i·ant
/ˈverēənt/
noun
a form or version of something that differs in some respect from other forms of the same thing or from a standard.

Treating all religious schools as equal sounds like a variant of this Liberal proposal to not treat 1 religious school as more equal than the others.

Your perception of sound; and of the written word is problematic. These things are not the same.

The first, (abolition of separate schools), seeks to save money, improve the public schools system, and increase the secularity of government.

The other seeks to spend more money, weaken the public school system and increase the religiosity of government.

So, not the same!

Your perception of sound; and of the written word is problematic. These things are not the same.

The first, (abolition of separate schools), seeks to save money, improve the public schools system, and increase the secularity of government.

The other seeks to spend more money, weaken the public school system and increase the religiosity of government.

So, not the same!
Variant ≠ Same

I suspect the same result unless the media rallies around the Liberals to promote the idea.
It wouldn't be "the media" rallying around "the Liberals" to promote the idea. If it got traction, it would be because "the people," thought the idea had merit and the media picked up on that. No newsrooms works as it does in your head for the record.

And John Tory got trounced on this topic, for pretty much doing the opposite. I'm not sure what your point is here. At worst, it would completely reposition the theme of the election, which could help/hinder whatever party took it on, depending on a lot of variants.

Last edited:
Michael Coteau getting some press coverage in The Star today for saying he would reinstate the Basic Income Pilot project if elected premier.

Also from the article:

Coteau’s leadership platform also includes a commitment to work with the federal government on a national pharmacare plan, lowering the voting age, free public transit and raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.

* I would note here that even Doug Ford's government is committed to the $15 per hour, its that they delayed into to October of this year from January 1st 2019 as planned by the Liberals.

At the very least, that promise should read to restore the minimum wage to what it would have been had the Liberal promise stayed on track, which assuming inflation of 2.3% per year would be around 11% higher in 2022 election year, and 12.5% higher by Jan 1st 2023 which would be $16.87 per hour.

Stephen Del Duca's northern strategy: twin the entire Trans-Canada Highway through Northern Ontario.

I've been across the North, from Thunder Bay to Hearst, to Timmins, to White River. Traffic on Highways 11 and 17 north of North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie don't warrant it. Only a few sections (Manitoba border to just past Kenora, and Thunder Bay to Nipigon) make sense as they're critical links, but the province is already working on those sections.

I can't believe this guy is the front runner.

I'm pretty shocked that no big name from outside provincial politics (or politics in general) has stepped in to run for leadership. This race is wide open and all listed candidates are such dire options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back