461     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round up: Ontario Liberal Party leadership race

By Travis Dhanraj Global News

Posted November 3, 2019 8:30 pm
Updated November 4, 2019 11:11 am

That's not a particularly great piece of journalism ( no knock on you for posting it), but I want to yell at the reporter....."Where's the policy???"

There are some interesting policy distinctions at this stage, though all the candidates are holding back some for later.

Tedjo: Merge the public/separate school boards, prioritize universal childcare and bring back 'basic income'

Coteau: Lower the voting age to 16, lots of new 'integrity' rules and policies.

Hunter: Focus on education, raising HS graduation rate to 90% (currently 86%), interest relief on student loans for 2 years post-graduation, extend mental heathcare under OHIP plus to anyone under 30

Graham: Metrics for everything. Vague as this point but prioritizing environment, local decision making, more meaningful jobs.

Del Duca: cut off-peak transit fares in 1/2, universal pharmacare, portable workplace benefits tied to the worker, not the company (includes dental)

He (the reporter) also omitted links to any of the candidates sites.

Interesting but a non-story until the leadership convention occurs and the real bump in membership appears- or not.

Days before a key deadline that will help find a “saviour” for the Ontario Liberals, the party is a husk of its former self.

The party is believed to have only 10,000 members now, down from the 44,000 on the rolls when Kathleen Wynne and Sandra Pupatello faced off for the leadership six years ago.

In March, delegates at a Liberal convention will select a new leader and those delegates will be chosen by members of the party.
“However bad you think it is, it’s worse,” said leadership hopeful Alvin Tedjo. “There are ridings in this province where we have one member. There’s another riding where we have two members.”

Back in June of last year, the Ontario Liberal Party as we know it died. . . . So the party that we knew no longer exists. And I keep telling people that the only thing that is recognizable in the party today from our old party is the value sense we have. And that’s what draws people into rooms.”
The deadline for signing up new members is December 2. However, the six leadership hopefuls are expected to deliver thousands of memberships from their supporters on that date.

This race has some similarity to the race won by Wynne six years ago.

Back then, party membership also languished, with roughly 13,000-members, but reached more than 44,000 by the close of the race
For their part, the candidates aren’t saying how their own membership sales are fairing, but wax optimistic about the total next week.

Coteau guesses “30,000 to 40,000,” while Mitzie Hunter more cautiously predicts more than 20,000.

If membership totals are a mystery, money is less so.

Elections Ontario keeps an updated list of fundraising for amounts over $100, and it shows that former cabinet minister Steve Del Duca, the widely acknowledged frontrunner, leads with $227,000. Coteau trails with $165,000 and Hunter $140,000. Kate Graham has raised roughly $100,000 and Tedjo $85,000. The totals, which have another four months to build, remain far behind the multi-million efforts mounted in the last leadership.

The party says it will release membership numbers as soon as the applications are processed.

Same thoughts here, but I'm hardly impressed by his mayoral record so far.

He feels like a very don't-rock-the-boat sort of person, and the province is facing several issues that require more initiative and vision than he's showing right now.

Interestingly, I think that he could either end up with the Liberals, or with the Conservatives if they try to turf Ford.

I was at a dinner tonight in Scarborough where Mitzie Hunter came by to speak and present a letter of commendation to a volunteer for a cultural organisation who is dying from cancer.

I like her....she's a genuinely nice person.

I hope she wins since my first choice Michael Bryant isn't interested. Too busy doing the good work at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association ? (big up yo chest, Mr Bryant!)

I know being genuinely nice alone isn't a qualification for anything in this sphere, but it should be a requirement nonetheless as far as I'm concerned.

When I think about this topic, I can't help but play around with the idea of a Greater Golden Horseshoe centric party, as pie-in-the-sky of an idea that is. Right now with Ontario Liberal dissolution would be the time for such a thing to step in.
Maybe not just GGH - but Windsor-Ottawa corridor.

AoD
The latest Hamilton LRT cancellation is just further justifying the need for such a movement.

Queen's Park does not act in the interests of Hamilton anymore than it does for Toronto.

Last edited:
What an awful field of candidates that completely miss the boat on what needs to be done for Ontario. I can see Ford rolling on for another 6+ years.

I was at a dinner tonight in Scarborough where Mitzie Hunter came by to speak and present a letter of commendation to a volunteer for a cultural organisation who is dying from cancer.

I like her....she's a genuinely nice person.

I hope she wins since my first choice Michael Bryant isn't interested. Too busy doing the good work at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association ? (big up yo chest, Mr Bryant!)

I know being genuinely nice alone isn't a qualification for anything in this sphere, but it should be a requirement nonetheless as far as I'm concerned.

For better or worse, its worth saying she's a John Tory protege.

Does Tedjo explain the merging of the school boards in detail? For instance, would Catholic education still be funded in an integrated board?

No.

His program would end publicly funded separate schools; the same way it was done in Quebec and in Nfld.

I'm very supportive of that.

What an awful field of candidates that completely miss the boat on what needs to be done for Ontario. I can see Ford rolling on for another 6+ years.
Yep. The NDP has been a dig disappointment, so expect the PCs to gain a few of their seats in 2022. I don't expect the Liberals to regain power until 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back