350     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

2019 Ontario Liberal Leadership Race / Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty shocked that no big name from outside provincial politics (or politics in general) has stepped in to run for leadership. This race is wide open and all listed candidates are such dire options.

I'm surprised too, especially that Ford is a beatable opponent with tons of baggage.

Well, based on this Tweet, the Ontario Liberal membership is taking charge of the movement to re-elect Doug Ford........ ?

1579839011548.png

Stephen Del Duca's northern strategy: twin the entire Trans-Canada Highway through Northern Ontario.

I've been across the North, from Thunder Bay to Hearst, to Timmins, to White River. Traffic on Highways 11 and 17 north of North Bay and Sault Ste. Marie don't warrant it. Only a few sections (Manitoba border to just past Kenora, and Thunder Bay to Nipigon) make sense as they're critical links, but the province is already working on those sections.

I can't believe this guy is the front runner.

Yeah wow this would be a colossal waste of money. It would be around 1700 km of twinned highway through sparsely populated, expensive to build on wilderness. It would cost many billions and benefit very few. There are more cost effective ways to make highways across the north faster and safer. For a comparison, the entire 400 series highway system is only about 2000 km.

There are very few, if any, regions like this in the world that have a divided highway crossing them. People want projects like this just because they look pretty on a map, not because they make any sense. Yes, a very good reason why Del Duca is a bad choice. The good thing is that the early frontrunner often ends up losing.

If they're stupid enough to choose Del Duca as their leader, they definitely won't be getting my (usually Liberal) vote.
The problem then is that you (or we) will either need to abstain or vote for Ford or Horwath (or a party like Greens who have zero hope of becoming the government.) I too am not keen on what I know of del Duca but in politics one sometimes needs to hold ones' nose and vote.

Yeah wow this would be a colossal waste of money. It would be around 1700 km of twinned highway through sparsely populated, expensive to build on wilderness. It would cost many billions and benefit very few. There are more cost effective ways to make highways across the north faster and safer. For a comparison, the entire 400 series highway system is only about 2000 km.

There are very few, if any, regions like this in the world that have a divided highway crossing them. People want projects like this just because they look pretty on a map, not because they make any sense. Yes, a very good reason why Del Duca is a bad choice. The good thing is that the early frontrunner often ends up losing.
Was DelDuca MTO Minister when Gravelle was Minister of MNDM and convinced gov't that building a Cable Stay bridge in Nipigon would be a tourist draw to the area.
$100M wasted on that.

The problem then is that you (or we) will either need to abstain or vote for Ford or Horwath (or a party like Greens who have zero hope of becoming the government.) I too am not keen on what I know of del Duca but in politics one sometimes needs to hold ones' nose and vote.
I don't know, I am very tempted to vote Green as thing stand.

Especially unlike Elizabeth May's federal counterparts, I actually really like Schreiner's Ontario Greens.

I've done my share of nose holding at the ballot box. I won't be repeating it with Del Duca. I'll be sitting that election out.

With Del Duca, we'll probably just get a bunch of announcements and re-announcements of it. Any actual progress will be pushed off until after he runs for re-election and wins.

Another beautiful illustration of the absurdity of our electoral system. Keep them coming, folks....I'm creating a collage for the Kafka Museum in Praha.

It seems the Liberals didnt learn a lesson from the beating they took in the last election, if this clown is selected the leader I will vote conservative even though I vote Liberals both federally and provincially.

It seems the Liberals didnt learn a lesson from the beating they took in the last election, if this clown is selected the leader I will vote conservative even though I vote Liberals both federally and provincially.

Del Duca is a horrible idea, but that doesn't make Ford a passable one.

Horvath not your speed? Try the greens w/Mike Schreiner he's from Kansas in the U.S. originally, not too out there.

Last edited:

Don't fall into the trap of linear thinking. That all gov'ts are majorities.

We know better, federally, right now.

The Greens have one seat, I think based on what I know, they would stand a realistic chance at 3-4 if an election were held tomorrow.

4 seats gave the BC Greens the balance of power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back