News   Oct 08, 2024
 79     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 2.2K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I know its early, but unless they can really differentiate themselves from the Liberals I think the NDP is going to get decimated this election.

I know its early, but unless they can really differentiate themselves from the Liberals I think the NDP is going to get decimated this election.
Does being a more honest government that will actually keep its word count as being different?

Not enough people seem to care about how corrupt and inept the Liberals have been.

You can be flippant all you want about the Liberals record. But people are upset about it. And people do want them to be held accountable for it.

Doug Ford shouldn't even as having a reasonable chance of becoming Premier. But its because of all the years of Liberal mismanagement that he even has a chance.

Being arrogant about it won't help things.

Yeah, but the government has nothing to do with a private insurance company's rates or services provided. It was a broken promise, yeah, but I'm not exactly sure how they planned on lowering insurance rates in the first place unless they were planning on making auto insurance voluntary again.

Well firstly I was away in NYC and I do think I let emotion get the better of me with my views...

The liberal govt provincial is increasingly shaping policy trying to control things economically, socially and culturally for the better or worse of this province. They pretty much put down legislation getting involved in business employment practices and controlling the housing market.

However, doing anything about insurance rates is a stretch or not the governments business when they made insurance mandatory, so by default they play a huge role in it?

Is this a legitimate talking point or frankly a deflection of a broken liberal promise?

I'm very surprised to see that the NDP has risen in 416 according to the latest Forum poll. Horwath has never appealed to Torontonians, particularly within the old city limits. High profile MPPs Rosario Marchese and Michael Prue lost their seats last provincial election, and in the federal election, the NDP lost in huge upsets in ridings like Toronto-Danforth and Davenport.

I think a key barrier to the NDP's growth in Toronto is the migration of the professional, tech and creative-bourgeois-lefty types to the inner city. The modern Liberal Party of Trudeau and Wynne speak the language of the these constituencies. These are the types of voters who support issues like public transit or gender equity, but whose eyes glaze over when the NDP talk about P3s or labour rights. The granola munchers of Riverdale and The Annex are expiring, and accountants and lawyers are taking their place.

This June I can see the NDP keeping Toronto-Danforth, and possibly one or two of Davenport, Parkdale High Park or Beaches East York.

Keep in mind, though, that it may be less about an embrace of Horwath than a rejection of Wynne--and if teed off, said lefty voters *could* be tempted to park their votes in the NDP camp (as they did in 2011 federally, of course; and as they continue to do municipally, at least when it comes to councillors and trustees)

Though who's to say that it's with such voters that current 416 NDP strength lies--especially when one considers how the NDP in 2014 outpolled the defeated Rosario Marchese in Ford Nation ridings like York South-Weston and York West...

Back