News   Oct 08, 2024
 340     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 272     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.9K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I live in Brampton and people are paying even with no record 2 to 3 thousand dollars a year, that is about 5-10% of an avg persons take home pay just to simply get car insurance. If the govt is focused on helping people out, they can explore options that exist in other provinces.

Yes, you should check out how the system just blew up in BC.

AoD

JMFC, don’t ask them to explain! Do you really care what the reasoning is?

Yes, actually, very interested to see the convoluted reasoning process here. Maybe they're really convinced of this and the only way to let them see the light is to understand why they think the way they do.

Do you think you’re going to get a balanced, well considered response?

No comment.

Why surrender power to this person who’s posting insulting, inflammatory tripe? Ignore them, that’s our power.

I'm not looking to exercise power, I'm looking for a laugh and a chance to correct a misconception/falsehood.

You're probably right though. I'm still a bit young and dumb in many ways.

They did promise to lower our rates by 15%. That never happened, and rates are skyrocketing again.

And now we actually get less benefits.

So at the very least it was a broken promise.

Yeah, but the government has nothing to do with a private insurance company's rates or services provided. It was a broken promise, yeah, but I'm not exactly sure how they planned on lowering insurance rates in the first place unless they were planning on making auto insurance voluntary again.

I think we are getting to the point where voting Ontario Liberal is straight-up unethical.

An anti-Ford or anti-Conservative vote is entirely understandable but I think the NDP deserve this vote.

I think we are getting to the point where voting Ontario Liberal is straight-up unethical.

An anti-Ford or anti-Conservative vote is entirely understandable but I think the NDP deserve this vote.

Yes, the NDP who have done nothing for a decade but deliver soundbites, or dissapear entierly.

Latest poll numbers:

The poll by Forum Research found that 36 per cent of them are most likely to vote for the Tories in June’s election while 29 per cent of them are most likely to vote for the Liberals. Support for the NDP was at 26 per cent and support for the Green party was at 7 per cent.

https://www.cp24.com/news/liberals-...ith-release-of-budget-poll-suggests-1.3865652

The same poll has the Liberals at 39% in Toronto, with the Tories and NDP back at 27-28%. With these numbers, Ford won't be able to count on delivering all those ridings he won municipally to the PCs.

I say unethical because their electioneering in my opinion has crossed the line into pure vote buying.

I felt the same way about Steven Harper’s Federal government. When they started dismantling key pillars of our democratic system like the census etc. they crossed the line between government policy direction and unethical conduct.

I would never vote NDP but at least they would raise taxes to fund increases in expenses. That is a credible and ethical position even if I don’t share it.

The same poll has the Liberals at 39% in Toronto, with the Tories and NDP back at 27-28%. With these numbers, Ford won't be able to count on delivering all those ridings he won municipally to the PCs.

And given DoFo's inept sound bites about the CBC or whatever else, who knows if this foretells further seepage, or if Ford Teflon's met its match...

I say unethical because their electioneering in my opinion has crossed the line into pure vote buying.

That makes the government's conduct unethical. I agree with you on this point, the vote buying is a joke. Reminds me of Egyptian bread subsidies or fuel subsidies in...pick a country.

I don't see how that makes voting for them unethical unless you're likening it to accepting bribes, which it is, I suppose, but then one would have to vote for them solely based on a perceived direct benefit.

For example, I have been using GO trains to get around Toronto for years now (TTC is a waste of my time, usually) and now the government is looking to make the trips cost me a nice 3$. If I were to vote for them based solely on this then it could be said that I've accepted their vote-buying bribe for personal gain. Nice try, vote buyers, but I'm not interested. I'll continue to use the train with or without your help, thanks.

MTown, it’s even worse for me. I will still have two children in daycare in 2020. That means the Wynne bucks coming my way could be what at least $40,000?

This policy is being introduced expressly by a group of people who want to buy my vote with money other people will have to finance at great cost and through significant hardship in a desperate and shameless attempt to cling to power.

Why should I even care I’m the winner?

Because it’s wrong. I pass the test and will vote to not give myself over $40,000. My children will be burdened with this however so I will use the money saved if the Liberals get re-elected to invest on their behalf with an eye to give them the option to leave Ontario if it becomes necessary in the future.

Every politician wants to buy your vote with his/her promises. Is the Liberal government worse than anyone else? They have a different platform to do it because they are in power. Maybe their theory was go big or go home, it's no time to be subtle, and right now they are being anything BUT subtle.

Last edited:
Every election wants to buy your vote with his/her promises. Is the Liberal government worse than anyone else? They have a different platform to do it because they are in power. Maybe their theory was go big or go home, it's no time to be subtle, and right now they are being anything BUT subtle.
Look at Harper federally. He promised tolls on Cartier bridge in Montreal, cancelling mail delivery, and raising old age. All policies with best intention of Canada in mind. Trudeau bought those votes and it worked. That's the problem with vote buying, it works. The question is why the PCs aren't smart enough to promise what's worst for province and then lie and do the opposite. Honesty really is the worst policy.

Look at Harper federally. He promised tolls on Cartier bridge in Montreal, cancelling mail delivery, and raising old age. All policies with best intention of Canada in mind. Trudeau bought those votes and it worked. That's the problem with vote buying, it works. The question is why the PCs aren't smart enough to promise what's worst for province and then lie and do the opposite. Honesty really is the worst policy.

Perhaps you'd like to read this synopsis of a previous Harper platform.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/harper-five-years-in-power-campaign-promises-vs-reality

Perhaps you'd like to explain to me how cutting the HST was good for Canada or good public policy for the country when it resulted in a deficit? Or how that is not obvious vote-buying?

You'll also note the promise to raise mandatory minimums for a host of criminal offenses during a time of falling crime rates, a decision that as experts predicted has led to a justice system
so slow that cases are simply being tossed out of court, while Canada's incarceration rate remains among the highest in the world despite being a very safe country. So out of step
w/logic and the constitution was this policy that it is being dismantled by the courts as unconstitutional, albeit at great cost both financially and to those facing miscarriages of justice.

Not only was this fiscally imprudent and overtly bad public policy it was shameless pandering to get votes.

Selective memories are very annoying.

@PinkLucy was on point. Governments and parties of all stripes get elected or re-elected on promises of doing something different than the status-quo.

Those promises ALL cost money. Cutting taxes is not free, its an expense which means less money for programs and for balanced budgets or debt-reduction. Higher prison sentences aren't
free either.

Likewise, more healthcare coverage, or higher social assistance rates, or lower wait times etc. etc. will also cost $$$

The question isn't whether someone will promise you something with you money; they all will. The question is whether you like the promise of how they'll spend it, and whether you believe in both their intent and ability to deliver said promise.

Back