News   Oct 08, 2024
 340     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 272     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.9K     3 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

- highest auto insurance rates in the country

Actually, idiot drivers, car thieves, ambulance chasers, and insurance companies are to blame for auto insurance rates.

The only thing the government has to do with this is the joke that drivers' licensing standards are and the fact that auto insurance is compulsory.

When it rains, we don't blame the government (sorry, reasonable people don't).

I doubt it will work, Liberals had 15 years to do this and now they can?

15 years of Liberal Govt has brought
-higher taxes
-highest hydro rates in the country
- highest auto insurance rates in the country
- 100's of billions of debt
- endless corruption scandals

Now they are our saviors?

I really think Wynne is a snob and thinks the people of this province are idiots if she thinks this gamble will work.

Once again you offer name-calling as an argument.

Not only is that weak from a debating point of view, its genuinely offensive.

And I'm not a Wynne acolyte as my posts reveal.

But I don't think anyone who has an opinion that's defensible needs to resort to that sort of thing.

As for the rest of your post.

Its less than completely accurate.

Corporate Taxes were lowered under the Liberals; Small business taxes even more so.

The low income tax bracket in Ontario used to be 8%, its currently 5%

Yes, that is partially offset by the Ontario Health Premium. (which is a tax by any other name) but for most Ontarian's the effect of that lower tax bracket covers the cost of the health premium.

Auto insurance rates are too high; but the government does not charge you auto insurance, the insurance companies do that.

There are myriad issues as to why auto insurance is where it is, and I'll be happy to explain them in another post.

Endless corruption scandals is grossly misrepresenting the facts. Yes the Liberals have done a couple of high-profile 'goofy' things that were politically motivated and may or may not have been in some way corrupt. But their track record is no worse than the Harris Tories before them. That's not an excuse. They should have done better. But your propensity for hyperbole is just too much.

Really, its ok not to admire Kathleen Wynne, or by all means to critique her policies, but your treating her and the government as if they have a vendetta against you needs to stop.

Last edited:
how is 1.1 billion in gas plants scandal goofy ???

People have legit gripes with Wynne and I don't see how she deserves to be relected.

A person has a rating below 20%, most people have the decency to quit in shame and think about what they did wrong.

Last edited:
I am not a multi-millionaire, like Doug Ford.

Like many others who live in Ontario, I have real-world obligations and responsibilities to my family and the people I love. I don't have the luxury of talking about government services as if it were all a useless waste of money...

My mother paid Canadian/Ontario taxes her entire working life. She is currently in a long-term care facility after being diagnosed with dementia. I don't want her to lose her nurse or sleep on filthy sheets or be forced to eat garbage because some wealthy businessman tells me massive budget cuts are the only way forward.

I don't have the luxury to make more sacrifices. Some of us live in the real world...

Why does Wynne now magically have this money to take care of us now and not start this funding last year if it was so urgent?

She been giving away free everything for years and she continues to slide in the polls, so it seems she is using the Ontario taxpayer as her campaign budget it seems.

If the liberals were not busy acting like idiots, there would no mood for the likes of Ford, who I think will win easily now as this is the most pathetic vote buying I ever seen from any govt I remember.

Last edited:
Actually, idiot drivers, car thieves, ambulance chasers, and insurance companies are to blame for auto insurance rates.

The only thing the government has to do with this is the joke that drivers' licensing standards are and the fact that auto insurance is compulsory.

When it rains, we don't blame the government (sorry, reasonable people don't).

The liberals have actively worked against our interest with the insurance companies to reduce our benefits and yet the price is still far higher than the rest of the country.

The govt promised a 15% reduction and has not done so.

So you suggest govt has no impact on this file but it promised action and failed?

So how many more excuses are you going to make for bad governance?

I live in Brampton and people are paying even with no record 2 to 3 thousand dollars a year, that is about 5-10% of an avg persons take home pay just to simply get car insurance. If the govt is focused on helping people out, they can explore options that exist in other provinces.

Last edited:
You did not read or understand my post. Please don't waste my time responding with a whole lot of self-defensive nonsense...

I read your post and the issue is the liberals could have engaged in this spending last year and they did not. If they so cared about you they would have?

This is simple vote buying 101 and it seems you are falling for it.

And frankly, that kind of snobbery for an opinion you dont like will just get Ford in power than anything.

Last edited:
He knows it's federal, right?
He also thinks running a company and a business are the same thing, and that running a municipal government is the same as a provincial one.

The liberals have actively worked against our interest with the insurance companies to reduce our benefits and yet the price is still far higher than the rest of the country.

They've colluded with insurers? Yeah, ok, go on....explain.

So how many more excuses are you going to make for bad governance?

Wtf are you talking about? I haven't made any excuses for bad governance. I've only been moaning about bad governance on multiple threads. I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that I'm about as much of a fan of the government as I am of getting shot. Don't attribute false positions to me.

JMFC, don’t ask them to explain! Do you really care what the reasoning is? Do you think you’re going to get a balanced, well considered response? Of course not. Why surrender power to this person who’s posting insulting, inflammatory tripe? Ignore them, that’s our power.

I wrote a post of this compulsion we have to always reply, where in fact not replying gives you the power. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ressions-why-are-we-compelled-to-reply.27919/ Thankfully, no one posted a reply.

This author says it best, https://goinswriter.com/responding-to-critics/

Fortunately, there’s a cure for this malady. A simple solution that we are wont to avoid: Stop listening to people who aren’t saying anything.

“I don’t say nuthin…”

Last edited:

They did promise to lower our rates by 15%. That never happened, and rates are skyrocketing again.

And now we actually get less benefits.

So at the very least it was a broken promise.

how is 1.1 billion in gas plants scandal goofy ???

People have legit gripes with Wynne and I don't see how she deserves to be relected.

A person has a rating below 20%, most people have the decency to quit in shame and think about what they did wrong.

If you're looking for a legit gripe with Wynne, gas plants wasn't her decision. And if you're looking for a legitimate gripe with a party, you're going to have to explore throwing your support to the Libertarian or Communist parties, because the major parties all supported the gas plants decision.

Fair comment is always fair, but yours often aren't. It makes for a better debate if we all park some of the extreme partisan hyperbole.

Back