News   Oct 08, 2024
 227     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 441     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 327     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I can earn up to 85 sick days. Last time this year, I got a bad case of pneumonia and was off work for close to a month. I was at the maximum 85 at the time and used 14 of them. It was a good thing I had those banked up!

The system at work is that if you get a long term injury, you first use up all those sick days, then go to short term disability. When that runs out, you are switched to long term disability.

So you have 85 paid sick days? That's massive. Plus 4 weeks paid holiday. I'd be awol all summer.

I technically have unlimited sick days but they're unpaid so it's a good thing that my immune system is in tip top shape. I think unpaid sick days help contribute to my healthy lifestyle by adding extra encouragement to take proper care of myself through diet, exercise, and sleep.

Why doesn’t Wynne dispense with the pretences and just announce debt financed cash envelopes to be paid to voters in key swing ridings :). You know what’s cooler than 1 billion in debt? One Trillion in debt!

Andrea Horwath's denunciation of the Liberal childcare plan seems very petty and partisan.

https://twitter.com/AndreaHorwath/status/978679057255751680

And considering what the ONDP ran on last time, why should we believe her last-minute "shift to the left" either. The NDP line about "that you can always trust us to be consistent and principled, unlike the Liberals" has really taken a hit in recent years.

Why doesn’t Wynne dispense with the pretences and just announce debt financed cash envelopes to be paid to voters in key swing ridings :). You know what’s cooler than 1 billion in debt? One Trillion in debt!

Putting aside the fiscal wisdom of your suggestion ;) ..... that's only $71,000 per Ontarian.

Not enough for me to retire.

10 Trillion or Bust!

Who are the main contenders for the Liberal leadership if/when the Wynne Liberals collapse in June?

There are a lot of rumors that Minister of Press Conferences Steven Del Duca has been eyeing the top spot for quite some time.

So you have 85 paid sick days? That's massive. Plus 4 weeks paid holiday. I'd be awol all summer.

I technically have unlimited sick days but they're unpaid so it's a good thing that my immune system is in tip top shape. I think unpaid sick days help contribute to my healthy lifestyle by adding extra encouragement to take proper care of myself through diet, exercise, and sleep.

Yeah, though I am generally a healthy person and don't need to take them.

Six years of deficits is enough for a lot of people to vote PC.

Ok, so I just got through skimming the provincial budget.

It is filled w/oodles of blather, though there is some content hiding in plain sight.

Notable Items:

Deficit this year of 6.7B
Reducing to 6.6B in fiscal 2019-2020
and to 6.5 B in 2020-2021
Deficits continue at reduced rates through 2023-2024
Before returning to balance in 2024-2025

About 32B in added debt before returning to balance.

Most large social program items were pre-announced.

Some new ones.

Up to $400 per year towards dental costs for persons w/no benefit plan, done on a reimbursement basis.

*editorial note, this sounds convoluted, I would have preferred either specific set of services for everyone, OR a services for a specific group (for instance extend OHIP plus to cover dental for youth, then seniors)

Also new a variety of changes to ODSP/OW

Most don't mean substantive rate hikes.

However, there will be an increase in the penalty-free work allowance (before benefits reductions begin) to $400 month (from $200); subsequently this will move to an annual income figure of $6,000 ($500 per month, but only reviewed once per year).

Asset limits will rise sharply, on top of which they will now exclude RRSP and TFSAs

*editorial note, I think this is positive in reducing 'poverty trap' syndrome and reducing the problem of forcing people to destitution level poverty before receiving help. However, anemic rates must also be addressed.

The Big Surprise:

Substantial reductions in GO and cross-regional transit fares in the GTA.

All GO Fares under 10km to be capped at $3

All GO Fares entirely within the City of Toronto capped at $3

All cross-regional fares (between TTC/MiWay/DRT/YRT etc. to have the $1.50 discount

All the budget details can be found at this link.

http://budget.ontario.ca/2018/chapter-1.html

Note the directional arrows at the top of the page allowing you to access the other chapters.

Last edited:
Having look at the revenue side of the equation, the province is generating 3.25B per sales tax point.

So roughly a 2 point hike, allowing for elasticity would bring the budget to balance.

Alternately, 1 point, plus 0.5 on corporate taxes, would raise about 4B, which would allow the amount of debt increase they propose to be cut by about 24B; saving longer term
interest costs of about 1B per year by fiscal 2024-2025.

There's much in the spending proposals I like, not all of it, but much of it.

But I am really irked by the lack of a plan to pay for it!

All GO Fares under 10km to be capped at $3

All GO Fares entirely within the City of Toronto capped at $3

I win! I've been using GO trains to get around Toronto for years and it was always worth it....now they're just giving it away for free. I'm voting Liberal.......just playin.

Finally my cheap friends can join me though. They will finally understand what I've been talking about.

Having look at the revenue side of the equation, the province is generating 3.25B per sales tax point.

So roughly a 2 point hike, allowing for elasticity would bring the budget to balance.

Alternately, 1 point, plus 0.5 on corporate taxes, would raise about 4B, which would allow the amount of debt increase they propose to be cut by about 24B; saving longer term
interest costs of about 1B per year by fiscal 2024-2025.

There's much in the spending proposals I like, not all of it, but much of it.

But I am really irked by the lack of a plan to pay for it!

Can't raise taxes, donchaknow! Because raising taxes is a bigger evil than wasting tax money on interest. :rolleyes:

I doubt it will work, Liberals had 15 years to do this and now they can?

15 years of Liberal Govt has brought
-higher taxes
-highest hydro rates in the country
- highest auto insurance rates in the country
- 100's of billions of debt
- endless corruption scandals

Now they are our saviors?

I really think Wynne is a snob and thinks the people of this province are idiots if she thinks this gamble will work.

Back