News   Jul 16, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 543     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

@civdis

Their platform was BS. And as a centre-right voter I couldn't vote for them.

My biggest issue with this crop of Conservatives is that they care more about tax cuts than transit.

You have to cut to balance the books. Sure. But cutting to give out tax cuts, I can't support.

@TrickyRicky

A very fair viewpoint. And I'm also concerned about the fiscal health of the province. This is Wynne's last chance from me.

Higher taxes. Yet we desperately need better transit. I have faith in Wynne when she says this is investment for our future. The deficit is also an issue though, no doubt about it. Let's see if it gets worse in 4 more years. I've never voted conservative - I'm not against it, but once I became of age my options provincially were Ernie Eves, John Tory and now Tim Hudak. If they had more of a Red Tory type as their leader (do such Tories even exist?) I wouldn't be against voting for them in the future, especially if our deficit grows in the future.

John Tory was very much a red tory.

WTF! my riding actually went Liberal.. This is going to be talked about, it was considered a very solid PC riding and is by far the largest collapse for any party in the election. (Durham)

Thornhill won by the Liberals by just 85 votes.. Holy crap.

My riding went Liberal after being in the hands of the NDP since the riding was created. A little bitter sweet since I happened to like my NDP MPP.

A Liberal majority is exactly what Ontario needs to cleanse the opposition of their right wing populism. It's exciting that it's even a possibility.
When strategists go looking for wedge issues to exploit, it's good to see voters stand firm and support moderate approaches to our challenges. Happened in Quebec too when the PQ thought they could prosper by targeting ethnic citizens. Given that, it's even more puzzling trying to comprehend how Ford happened and why we can't shake ourselves of him.

The Liberal in my riding won with 52% of the vote (Mississauga--Streetsville).

Interesting to note that the Brampton ridings that the NDP didn't win, they came in 2nd, not the PCs. PCs are still 2nd in Mississauga ridings though.

The Liberal in my riding won with 52% of the vote (Mississauga--Streetsville).

Interesting to note that the Brampton ridings that the NDP didn't win, they came in 2nd, not the PCs. PCs are still 2nd in Mississauga ridings though.

Why is there such NDP support in Brampton anyway? That has always puzzled me.

Anyway, Thornhill going to Liberals (by 85 votes!!!) is HUGE! That raving populist anti-transit Gila Martow is now out of office! There is now no opposition and a mandate to create that BRT in Thornhill. :)

Hudak's decision to flip flop on Ottawa LRT was a huge boost for the Liberals.

The Liberals had a crushing victory in Ottawa. The suburban seat of Ottawa-Orleans, expected to be a close race and containing the eastern terminus of Ottawa LRT Phase 2, went Liberal by over 10,000 votes. Ottawa West-Nepean and Ottawa South, two other Liberal ridings that were seen as vulnerable and are also served by LRT plans, also voted Liberal by respectable margins.

Even in the PC stronghold of Nepean-Carleton--Lisa MacLeod's riding--the Liberals gained, exceeding 20,000 votes in that seat for a strong second finish. And in the exurban seat of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, the Liberals won re-election despite most predicting a PC win.

Let it not be said that this election was a Toronto vs. Everyone Else result. Ottawa resoundingly chose the Liberals.

It looked more like cities vs rural to me, at least in southern Ontario.
For the most part. I'm glad to see that my old home in Northumberland-Quinte West went Liberal this time around, a PC loss. Looks like the PCs didn't win anything more urban than Whitby or Sarnia.

Back