News   Jul 16, 2024
 435     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 547     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

Be nice guys - as much as I am opposed to Hudak, I don't feel a great need to gloat about his defeat (unlike say, the whole RoDoFo BS). I voted Liberal but I am under no illusion that the current fiscal trend is sustainable.

AoD

Believe me, as conservative, I am no Hudak fan either. I don't necessarily hate the guy, he just doesn't seem like much of a leader and I believe he is the reason for this dismal loss. Having said that, I base my vote on a platform, not a personality. The best thing that came out of this election is that we will get a new conservative leader, but the price paid in large deficits and increased debt could be catastrophic. I love this province and I fear for it's future. People just don't seem to understand how desperate the fiscal situation is.

Votes still coming in Thornhill and Parkdale-High Park.

In the former, Libs and PC are neck and neck, and in the latter Libs and NDP are going neck to neck. Both separated by just a few hundred votes.

Major victory for transit in York region if Thornhill goes to Liberals.

edit: Beaches-East York Riding is also neck-to-neck between Libs and NDP.

Last edited:
Just pulling your leg in jest.

I get your POV. I've voted twice for Mike Harris' PCs when Rae had to go. This was Hudak's election to lose. All he had to do promise to protect and best deliver the services Ontario's expect, while also committing to spend wisely. Conservatives have to stop focusing on job creation. Yes it's important, but we "hire" our government to run our services.

Got it. I am not a big forum poster so sometimes I have a hard time interpreting posts.

The one good thing about tonight for me is the Liberal transit strategy. I hope they come through with it. Just don't know how they will pay for it.

I voted PC and did so with conviction. I was surprised at the Liberal majority but in a way I think it is a good thing from an economic perspective because of the stability. We need stability right now and a majority will give the Provincial government the ability to make the hard decisions required now. Wynne gave no indication in her campaign that she was willing to make any tough choices but maybe her tone will change with a majority.

I want to be hopeful about the future of Ontario but before you dismiss all PC voters as Ford Nation voters I want to point out the fact that many many PC voters are business owners such as myself who control the economic and employment future in this Province. The last Liberal budget was quite frankly a clear signal to question future hiring and investment in the province.

I want to be hopeful about the future of Ontario but before you dismiss all PC voters as Ford Nation voters I want to point out the fact that many many PC voters are business owners such as myself who control the economic and employment future in this Province. The last Liberal budget was quite frankly a clear signal to question future hiring and investment in the province.

Wow are no Liberal voters business owners?

The one good thing about tonight for me is the Liberal transit strategy. I hope they come through with it. Just don't know how they will pay for it.

Higher taxes. Yet we desperately need better transit. I have faith in Wynne when she says this is investment for our future. The deficit is also an issue though, no doubt about it. Let's see if it gets worse in 4 more years. I've never voted conservative - I'm not against it, but once I became of age my options provincially were Ernie Eves, John Tory and now Tim Hudak. If they had more of a Red Tory type as their leader (do such Tories even exist?) I wouldn't be against voting for them in the future, especially if our deficit grows in the future.

Wow are no Liberal voters business owners?

I know Liberal voters creating high-growth innovative new tech companies, which are creating high-paying jobs.

The region of Waterloo is full of startup tech companies that are hiring people and bringing millions of dollars of investment and the Liberals listened to the tech community there which have been trying to get better train service to Toronto & the airport.

Building transit mentioned during the victory speech!

I voted for the Green Party, while my parents voted for Mike Colle of the Liberals. As much as I like Mike Colle as a person, I decided to vote for a party that does not do scandals, does not cut jobs, and is not blatantly opportunist, despite the fact that I usually vote NDP.

We all voted for what we considered the least worst choice.

My parents were about to vote PC until they realized that Tim Hudak would cut 100,000 jobs, mainly in Toronto.

WTF! my riding actually went Liberal.. This is going to be talked about, it was considered a very solid PC riding and is by far the largest collapse for any party in the election. (Durham)

Thornhill won by the Liberals by just 85 votes.. Holy crap.

Final poll numbers ranked by 2011 success. Eligible/decided voters
Forum (Jun 11) Libs 41v... PC 35=... NDP 20^... Grn 3v
Abacus (Jun 11) Libs 35^... PC 32^... NDP 26v... Grn 6^
Angus (Jun 10) Libs 36... PC 32.... NDP 26... Grn 5
Ekos (Jun 11) Libs 37=. PC 31^... NDP 19v.. Grn 8^
Ipsos (Jun 11) Libs 33v... PC 31v... NDP 30^... Oth 5^

There seems to be a real divide by the different formulas. The IVR/telephone polls (Forum, Ekos) has the Libs up by 6 and the NDP in the low 20s. The online eligible polls (Abacus, Angus, Ipsos) seems to have a slight Liberal lead by 3 and the NPD over 25. But their likely voters formula seem to not be able to agree with each other that it's everything from tie, small PC lead and large PC lead. Which kind of makes me wonder about the credibility of the likely voter system any of the three online/PC leaning can't agree by how much. My Final data analysis of eligible/decided voters Libs 38, PC 33, NDP 23 Grn 5. If you looked at the "likely" voter numbers I got Lib 36. PC 36, NDP 23 and Grn 5.

The same formula I did with averaging percentage, I just did with projection sites. I took 5 (supposedly) independent projection site. Ranked them from their 2011 projection success and average it out with weight on the more successful site (I think some will be surprised who had the most success in 2011) The data analysis of the 5 projection site come out for me in seats. Lib 48, PC 38, NDP 21

Projection sites ranked by success of 2011
Election prediction: Lib 48, PC 39, NDP 20 (they had a great total seats success in 2011, off by just one seat, giving PC one seat that the Liberals actually won)
Cndian elxn almanic: Lib 46, PC 38 NDP 23
Lispop: Lib 49, PC 38, NDP 20
308: Lib 49, PC 36, NDP22
2close2call: Lib 47, PC 38, NDP 22 (I ranked them last because it's their debut this election)

Looks like you were on the ball.

I was wrong, I want to apologize to everyone here. Let's get going on transit.

Back