News   Jan 22, 2020
 299     0 
News   Jan 22, 2020
 373     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
With that in mind, is there any news on a new streetcar order from either Bombardier or another company? It doesn't seem to be a focus for the agency since Byford left.
I don't understand what you mean by "not a focus". Apart from the Ford government trying to slice and dice the agency, there have been some new developments such as the outline of rebuilding Hillcrest to host a division. The City needs higher government assistant to take on even a sixty car order.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by "not a focus". Apart from the Ford government trying to slice and dice the agency, there have been some new developments such as the outline of rebuilding Hillcrest to host a division. The City needs higher government assistant to take on even a sixty car order.
By 'not a focus' it seems as though management itself isn't as active at touting the importance of the streetcar system as a whole. We're still seeing huge shortages across the system and they don't seem to be making public addresses on these issues despite them still not gone.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is promising:
Where's the 502? Are they just replacing it entirely with the 503?

JSF-1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe the 502 is scheduled to be replaced by busses. It is essentially a branch line and one that is not very well used north of Queen St
If the 502 is going to be bustituted then I would assume the route will get renumbered at somepoint as well right? No use keeping the number 502 if it isn't a streetcar line anymore.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe the 502 is scheduled to be replaced by busses. It is essentially a branch line and one that is not very well used north of Queen St
If the 502 is going to be bustituted then I would assume the route will get renumbered at somepoint as well right? No use keeping the number 502 if it isn't a streetcar line anymore.
The official line is that the 502 and 503 will start using Flexities in 2020.

Of course, as nfitz has correctly pointed out, there's not enough streetcars to allow for them to be converted. So the thought is that they will remain bustituted until such a point - 2026 at the earliest - that more streetcars are delivered to allow them to be converted back to streetcar operation. (There's also some concern that the same will have to happen with the 501L as well.)

Dan

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course, as nfitz has correctly pointed out, there's not enough streetcars to allow for them to be converted. So the thought is that they will remain bustituted until such a point - 2026 at the earliest - that more streetcars are delivered to allow them to be converted back to streetcar operation. (There's also some concern that the same will have to happen with the 501L as well.)
The more recent relevation that in June the current 35 streetcars on 501 (east of Humber) will be replaced with 27 Flexities and 6 buses during AM peak, does wonder if they are going to try and find the extra streetcars by simply not running enough streetcars on several routes. I dread to see what they are planning for 505 and 506.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
A power failure in Leslieville this morning temporarily cut off Leslie Street vehicle storage facility from the rest of the network.
For a very brief period the CLRVs took over King Street again. Might have been the last.

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where's the 502? Are they just replacing it entirely with the 503?
I would first assume this is missing the 502 because the writer is being paid $14/hour with a quota to create something like 50 'news' posts per day , every day. and really doesn't have enough time or interest to get it right, and probably doesn't even know the 502 exists. There should be a 'new media' version of Hanlon's Razor for these scenarios.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I would first assume this is missing the 502 because the writer is being paid $14/hour with a quota to create something like 50 'news' posts per day , every day. and really doesn't have enough time or interest to get it right, and probably doesn't even know the 502 exists. There should be a 'new media' version of Hanlon's Razor for these scenarios.
Pretty much. The article is dated May 21, and references the recent May CEO report that we were discussing over 3 weeks ago in the Flexity thread!

The original material simply said "Low-floor streetcar service on Kingston Road will be introduced in 2020" reference neither the 502 nor 503. It could be on Wellington. It could be on Queen. It could be both. It could simply be a 501L-like shuttle from Victoria Park to Woodbine Loop! I suspect the "502" information is completely unverified - and we've spent far longer pondering the meaning of that, then the writer ever did!

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^
On the streetcar system, there are proportionately more route/period combinations that are over capacity than on the bus network. This is a direct result of the long-term shortage of vehicles and the lack of service improvements for many years. Worth noting in this table is that low floor operation is coming to 506 Carlton in the fourth quarter of 2019, and to 505 Dundas in the first quarter of 2020 thanks to the completion of Flexity deliveries. The status of the 502/503 Kingston Road services is still uncertain. 511 Bathurst returns to streetcar operation on June 23, and the 501L Long Branch service will switch to Flexitys in the fall.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
They need to address the traffic jams at Neville Park where the TTC sends three or more Flexcity cars to the loop outside of rush hour. Cars are parked on the south side of Queen so drivers cannot get around the streetcars. Meanwhile the first streetcar is sitting in the loop taking a break, leaving the other two streetcars blocking traffic. The only way around is to illegally pass on the left, in the opposing lane.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score