News   Mar 28, 2024
 510     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 333     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 344     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

I would first assume this is missing the 502 because the writer is being paid $14/hour with a quota to create something like 50 'news' posts per day , every day. and really doesn't have enough time or interest to get it right, and probably doesn't even know the 502 exists. There should be a 'new media' version of Hanlon's Razor for these scenarios.
Pretty much. The article is dated May 21, and references the recent May CEO report that we were discussing over 3 weeks ago in the Flexity thread!

The original material simply said "Low-floor streetcar service on Kingston Road will be introduced in 2020" reference neither the 502 nor 503. It could be on Wellington. It could be on Queen. It could be both. It could simply be a 501L-like shuttle from Victoria Park to Woodbine Loop! I suspect the "502" information is completely unverified - and we've spent far longer pondering the meaning of that, then the writer ever did!

^
On the streetcar system, there are proportionately more route/period combinations that are over capacity than on the bus network. This is a direct result of the long-term shortage of vehicles and the lack of service improvements for many years. Worth noting in this table is that low floor operation is coming to 506 Carlton in the fourth quarter of 2019, and to 505 Dundas in the first quarter of 2020 thanks to the completion of Flexity deliveries. The status of the 502/503 Kingston Road services is still uncertain. 511 Bathurst returns to streetcar operation on June 23, and the 501L Long Branch service will switch to Flexitys in the fall.

They need to address the traffic jams at Neville Park where the TTC sends three or more Flexcity cars to the loop outside of rush hour. Cars are parked on the south side of Queen so drivers cannot get around the streetcars. Meanwhile the first streetcar is sitting in the loop taking a break, leaving the other two streetcars blocking traffic. The only way around is to illegally pass on the left, in the opposing lane.

The crash on Queens Quay link doesn't work for me.
Because you have it mixed up:
I reposted the link that @Admiral Beez posted.

Last edited:
???

You reposted the Neville Park link from the Beach Metro News.

It was the Queens Quay link from Apple News that doesn't work - https://apple.news/ARBkqcZMdRKqSXcujuwax8Q

Just goes to an apple.news error message (for me). Perhaps this is some kind of subscription-only service?

I've tried a laptop and an Android now - same error message.
One person in serious condition, driver in custody after car collides head-on with Queens Quay streetcar
Toronto Star·17 hours ago

It was the Queens Quay link from Apple News that doesn't work - https://apple.news/ARBkqcZMdRKqSXcujuwax8Q

Just goes to an apple.news error message (for me). Perhaps this is some kind of subscription-only service?

I've tried a laptop and an Android now - same error message.

I had the same problem so googled "queens quay streetcar head on" and got this link:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...lides-head-on-with-queens-quay-streetcar.html

Of course depending on how many Star articles you've read lately you still may get pay-walled out of being able to read it. When that happens I just open it in Firefox instead of my default Chrome browser. :) Good luck.

Edit to add: Ah, Steve posted the same link, I should have read ahead...

How does someone turn straight into the front of a huge streetcar?
Hard left on the steering wheel. Damn the torpedoes!

There is an inference of DUI by the driver "being in custody" but to be honest, QQ is a disaster as per 'who does what', pedestrians, cyclists, streetcars and motor vehicles. Badly delineated, very poorly laid out, and much of it counterintuitive.

What could possibly go wrong?

I avoid it unless it's really late at night, but even then there's idiot cyclists with no lights to contend with on the bike path (roughly half of them) let alone lack of street lighting to see pedestrians walking willy-nilly all over.

I usually cycle up to Richmond to come across town to the west-end from the docks or the Eastern Av/East Lakeshore alignments. Richmond can be iffy too, but far less so than QQ. At least with Adelaide/Richmond head-ons with other cyclists are remote...but not impossible.

Back