Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
???

You reposted the Neville Park link from the Beach Metro News.

It was the Queens Quay link from Apple News that doesn't work - https://apple.news/ARBkqcZMdRKqSXcujuwax8Q

Just goes to an apple.news error message (for me). Perhaps this is some kind of subscription-only service?

I've tried a laptop and an Android now - same error message.
One person in serious condition, driver in custody after car collides head-on with Queens Quay streetcar
Toronto Star·17 hours ago

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
It was the Queens Quay link from Apple News that doesn't work - https://apple.news/ARBkqcZMdRKqSXcujuwax8Q

Just goes to an apple.news error message (for me). Perhaps this is some kind of subscription-only service?

I've tried a laptop and an Android now - same error message.
I had the same problem so googled "queens quay streetcar head on" and got this link:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/05/23/one-person-in-serious-condition-driver-in-custody-after-car-collides-head-on-with-queens-quay-streetcar.html

Of course depending on how many Star articles you've read lately you still may get pay-walled out of being able to read it. When that happens I just open it in Firefox instead of my default Chrome browser. :) Good luck.

Edit to add: Ah, Steve posted the same link, I should have read ahead...

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
How does someone turn straight into the front of a huge streetcar?
Hard left on the steering wheel. Damn the torpedoes!

There is an inference of DUI by the driver "being in custody" but to be honest, QQ is a disaster as per 'who does what', pedestrians, cyclists, streetcars and motor vehicles. Badly delineated, very poorly laid out, and much of it counterintuitive.

What could possibly go wrong?

I avoid it unless it's really late at night, but even then there's idiot cyclists with no lights to contend with on the bike path (roughly half of them) let alone lack of street lighting to see pedestrians walking willy-nilly all over.

I usually cycle up to Richmond to come across town to the west-end from the docks or the Eastern Av/East Lakeshore alignments. Richmond can be iffy too, but far less so than QQ. At least with Adelaide/Richmond head-ons with other cyclists are remote...but not impossible.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
This whole section needs fences around the streetcar tracks. On both sides. They can be short and visually appealing. Like this:

(without the hedge)

But something needs to be put in place to stop cars and people from just blindly walking into the streetcar tracks. Its unreal down there. Im surprised no one has been run over and killed yet

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Better still, spikes on the rail bed and the ends of the trains. Sharp objects piercing you tends to stop you.

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
This whole section needs fences around the streetcar tracks. On both sides. They can be short and visually appealing. Like this:

(without the hedge)

But something needs to be put in place to stop cars and people from just blindly walking into the streetcar tracks. Its unreal down there. Im surprised no one has been run over and killed yet
QQ seems pretty chill to me. I like the current set up, but I do think there oughta be more prominent turning lane markers on the road. Same goes for several intersections on Lakeshore.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City of Toronto has been growing twice as fast as the government expected, as growth elsewhere in the GTA rapidly slows. The bulk of this growth is concentrated in the Downtown core, putting even more strain on the streetcar network.

As Steve Munro said, there's no way that even an additional 60 new streetcars would meet demand. Furthermore, at some point in the next decade, we're going to have to start building the East Bayfront LRT. At that point, the number of peak streetcar customers using Union Station will have reached 10,000 pax in peak hour, which is nearly twice as high as the Crosstown's eastbound peak ridership, to put that in perspective. The City is asleep at the wheel here, and we can expect zero leadership whatsoever from Queen's Park. Both governments really need to wake up and realize what the hell is going on with Toronto's population growth.

In the meantime, if we're going to have a Downtown core that can meet population growth, we should consider the following:
1. Order an additional 130 streetcars, as Steve Munro said.
2. Build East Bayfront LRT and rebuild Union Station loop
3. Build the Relief Line West concurrently with the Relief Line North
4. Expand the network of streetcar priority corridors. College is the most obvious candidate, but Queen might work too.