3K     13 
News   Jul 31, 2020
 1K     3 

TTC: Streetcar Network

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Only the 504B will be able to use pans once King is done up to Dufferin from the east. The rest will be done for 504A west of Dufferin late 2020 when the plan schedule work for 2019 that was moved to 2020 is done.

501 pans can't be use until late 2020 since the conversion to pans west of Dufferin is tie in with the 504.

Come late 2020, all the system should be pan ready and could see the end of poles being use by all the Flexity as well.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they want the 504 Flexities running with pantos? King Street is gonna become pretty modern now with the permeant Pilot, so makes sense to convert it.
Of course "they" want it running with pantos and having KIng completed is in the 2019 schedule. I was simply reporting that a further tranche of King is 'underway". I agree it is a bit strange that all of King (from Leslie Barns) was not finished ages ago but the new overhead is not simply replacing wires and hangers, it also includes more traction power and THAT may be what holds things up.

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind with all the "why didn't they do panto wiring in x order rather than y" is in part that the fleet deployment plan has changed a few times. More importantly, if TTC hadn't saved some pennies in prior years at Council's behest. panto-ization might be further along now.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course "they" want it running with pantos and having KIng completed is in the 2019 schedule. I was simply reporting that a further tranche of King is 'underway". I agree it is a bit strange that all of King (from Leslie Barns) was not finished ages ago but the new overhead is not simply replacing wires and hangers, it also includes more traction power and THAT may be what holds things up.
I had overlooked the “more traction power” thing. That does make it more than wire and hangers.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s May. Is there a track reconstruction plan this summer?
https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/

Gives you a half decent idea. Construction has already begun on McCaul for it's reconstruction I believe.

This year appears to be:

- the Queensway at Roncesvalles (though I swear I remember reading this was delayed to 2020);
- Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay;
- Adelaide from Victoria to Church;
- the Church and Richmond intersection;
- McCaul from Dundas to College
- the Kingston Road and Queen Street intersection / loop.

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking at that TOInView map saw the following interesting annotation at streetcar stops along the 506 either side of Coxwell

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The curb cuts were all complete in late 2018 as far as I know - though they did seem to have some difficulty with the southwest corner of Coxwell and Lower Gerrard ... perhaps that construction lingered into 2019.

No sign of TVMs though - have they installed them anywhere yet except at platforms where there is a streetcar ROW, or Pearson airport? I don't think I've seen a new location in years!

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score

Gives you a half decent idea. Construction has already begun on McCaul for it's reconstruction I believe.

This year appears to be:

- the Queensway at Roncesvalles (though I swear I remember reading this was delayed to 2020);
Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay; - there is nothing to rebuild unless they are restoring the east to south switch they blew out at Adelaide and Charlotte two summers back. If they are really rebuilding this then three cheers. There is track on Richmond and track on Wellington so two of the one-way avenues have westbound diversion options. But Adelaide - eastbound - is completely done I believe with the exception of Victoria to Church.

I was more curious about the Coxwell tangent track from upper Gerrard to Queen which has to be the city's worst street car track in service at this stage. The Gerrard and Coxwell intersection is as bad as Dundas and Broadview was, and hey, it still has streetcars running in it.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

This year appears to be:

TOInView is not as updated as it should be! The Quensway etc WAS postponed, Adelaide is certainly not this year (and that block of track was redone about 10 years ago and looks fine to me) and I think Richmond/Church is now 2021. Victoria is still listed as 2018 but will not be done until 2021 or 2022 due to Hydro work. If thecity uses TOIn View to plan they need to rethink!

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's the latest on the 505 return date? I think it's still officially August, but does anyone have any insider knowledge? I heard some rumblings that they will ultimately be delayed until 2026 (which is insane) but that this was partially due to the lack of space for multiple Flexities at Broadview. If that's the case, I suppose they could split 505 service into some terminating at Broadview and others at Main Street for example.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's the latest on the 505 return date? I think it's still officially August, but does anyone have any insider knowledge? I heard some rumblings that they will ultimately be delayed until 2026 (which is insane) but that this was partially due to the lack of space for multiple Flexities at Broadview. If that's the case, I suppose they could split 505 service into some terminating at Broadview and others at Main Street for example.
With that in mind, is there any news on a new streetcar order from either Bombardier or another company? It doesn't seem to be a focus for the agency since Byford left.

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is promising: