266     0 
News   Oct 21, 2019
 346     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

bill r

Member Bio
Reaction score
SmartTrack 2.0

Convert the GO Stouffville line to Electric Multiple Units (EMU) with 3-4 minute headways. The route goes along the Lakeshore (4th track installed), then at Gerrard and Pape we go down the Relief Line (RL) tunnel, switching the RL to EMU technology as well. The crosstown under Queen Street becomes EMU avoiding all the Union Station issues. We meet up with the Union Pearson Express (UPX), which we then salvage by converting it to EMU and add a few more stations and serve north-west Toronto. A third track of the crosstown from Osgood Station goes up Pape, crosses a couple of bridges across the Don Valley and then up Don Mills Road.

The Sheppard LRT meets the Stouffville line.. The Steeles, Finch, Agincourt, Lawrence stations will significantly shorten bus routes in Scarborough. Most Scarborough bus routes will run east/west to feed the Stouffville line. As the east/west bus routes run faster than north/south routes transit times will be shortened.

The Stouffville line replaces the Scarborough Subway Extension (SSE) and alleviates the Yonge/Bloor crisis.
SMTK2.0.jpg

The idea is to get Metrolinx to work on a digestible project where they can gain experience with PTC train signaling and EMUs. It would be easy on Stouffville and UPX. Toronto needs both crosstown and relief line so it would be a good connector.

Attachments

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
We were talking about using the Highway 401 corridor to expand the Sheppard Subway a few weeks ago. Any thoughts on this proposal from SUDA?
If you think Allen Rd + Spadina line was great city planning, if this is the kind of transit experience you think is acceptable, then you will support that proposal.

Screen shot 2016-04-28 at 4.16.56 PM.png

Attachments

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If you think Allen Rd + Spadina line was great city planning, if this is the kind of transit experience you think is acceptable, then you will support that proposal.

View attachment 74253
The proposal seeks to solve the issue of the lack of a high speed mode of travel across the north of the city. The only two feasible solutions to that are an underground subway or surface rail. Obviously the former is cost prohibitive given the probable low ridership of the corridor. Light rail isn't a good option since that's slower in speed and more local in nature.

So if we want to solve the problem of the lack of high speed travel mode across the top of the city, this seems like the only thing that would work.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
IIRC, the plurality of trips on the network start and end in the suburbs, and the modal show of suburban to suburban travel is very low within Toronto (around 20%). The lack of a high speed link connecting our suburbs without detouring downtown is a problem worth trying to solve

jcam

Member Bio
Reaction score
We were talking about using the Highway 401 corridor to expand the Sheppard Subway a few weeks ago. Any thoughts on this proposal from SUDA?

I posted a modification of one of Wisla's maps 3 months back that took a similar view: combine the existing (Sheppard) with planned (DRL long, DRL west, Jane LRT tunne) to make a circle line.

Go out another 20 years, and relief line goes up South Kingsway and Jane to Sheppard, Sheppard goes west to Jane, and ta-da! Toronto's own circle line.

Wisla, hope you don't mind I added on.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not at all. Inspired even to get back into making other transit maps using TTC format now that the semester is finished.
The recent news of the Réseau Électrique Métropolitain in Montreal has inspired me to post this map I have been working on, before it becomes outdated. :p

Metro_Montreal_v2.png

And with planned (/in planning) extensions:

Metro_Montreal_v2_2031.png

Attachments

transitguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why not split the Yonge line with the university line at union, and have the Yonge line go to the exhibition along front St and the university line go to the distilery under the esplanade?

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Probably not the time for fantasy stuff. A lot of work went into the chosen corridor, and everyone has a lot on their plate transit-wise. But I still think it'd be interesting to consider a branched system. Basically of the chosen B1 corridor we had six sub-alignments. What's chosen is EQ (Eastern-Queen). What I think could be theoretically possible (with the corridors not serving the 21 Don Rdwy site directly) is to have a branch head south. This would not only serve the site in question, but could also be extended further south into the Port Lands (and/or possible Expo site).

In this I chose the GQ (GO-Queen) corridor, moved the Broadview-Queen station slightly east, then added a wye with the same curvature as used elsewhere on the alignment. It's a bit of an atypical wye, since it's one station in the middle (as opposed to two on either side). Might be a logistical nightmare to run, but I'd also like to see something similar in the future western section - with one section heading out past Roncey and the other up to Line 2 or 5. And yeah, mods feel free to move this to the fantasy thread.

DRL-B1-sub-alignments.jpg

Unofficial-DRL-alignment_modified-GQ-with-PortLands-spur_44N.png

Attachments