News   Apr 19, 2024
 672     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Not at all. Inspired even to get back into making other transit maps using TTC format now that the semester is finished.
The recent news of the Réseau Électrique Métropolitain in Montreal has inspired me to post this map I have been working on, before it becomes outdated. :p

Metro_Montreal_v2.png

And with planned (/in planning) extensions:

Metro_Montreal_v2_2031.png

Attachments

• Metro_Montreal_v2.png
    Metro_Montreal_v2.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,661
  • Metro_Montreal_v2_2031.png
    Metro_Montreal_v2_2031.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 395
Why not split the Yonge line with the university line at union, and have the Yonge line go to the exhibition along front St and the university line go to the distilery under the esplanade?

Probably not the time for fantasy stuff. A lot of work went into the chosen corridor, and everyone has a lot on their plate transit-wise. But I still think it'd be interesting to consider a branched system. Basically of the chosen B1 corridor we had six sub-alignments. What's chosen is EQ (Eastern-Queen). What I think could be theoretically possible (with the corridors not serving the 21 Don Rdwy site directly) is to have a branch head south. This would not only serve the site in question, but could also be extended further south into the Port Lands (and/or possible Expo site).

In this I chose the GQ (GO-Queen) corridor, moved the Broadview-Queen station slightly east, then added a wye with the same curvature as used elsewhere on the alignment. It's a bit of an atypical wye, since it's one station in the middle (as opposed to two on either side). Might be a logistical nightmare to run, but I'd also like to see something similar in the future western section - with one section heading out past Roncey and the other up to Line 2 or 5. And yeah, mods feel free to move this to the fantasy thread.

DRL-B1-sub-alignments.jpg

Unofficial-DRL-alignment_modified-GQ-with-PortLands-spur_44N.png

Attachments

• DRL-B1-sub-alignments.jpg
    DRL-B1-sub-alignments.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,616
  • Unofficial-DRL-alignment_modified-GQ-with-PortLands-spur_44N.png
    Unofficial-DRL-alignment_modified-GQ-with-PortLands-spur_44N.png
    800 KB · Views: 1,919
Would the Cherry streetcar would go down to the Portlands and then back up Broadview. That may reduce the need for this branching?

Would the Cherry streetcar would go down to the Portlands and then back up Broadview. That may reduce the need for this branching?

I think it would depend on whether it's financially worth it to connect the Cherry spur, and what level of development is projected. 3C is obviously a big potential, though we haven't heard much from them. And an Expo is always a possibility. As for Broadview, I don't see much problem with continuing the streetcar south to Commissioners even with a subway. Every square inch of the South of Eastern and Port Lands area will be rebuilt to the nines regardless, so it really shouldn't cost that much to lay streetcar tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello - after years of lurking these boards my first post is a request to all the transit cartographers in the room:

Would someone be so kind as to prepare a realistic fantasy map with this alignment and extensions north and west, along with existing/proposed GO services, streetcar routes and LRT routes? Bonus points of someone can draft a Queen Street trunk subway with branches up to Don Mills, Kingston Road, the GTRC and the Queensway...

Many thanks.

As an aside, I think this alignment and station placement is great. It would be nice to see the Queen East, King, and Long Branch streetcars eventually get a Spadina/St. Clair ROW treatment as the DRL is extended west along Queen and then north to the Stockyards and Eglinton Flats via Dundas West. This would, in my opinion provide superior east west movement along the waterfront and downtown core.

Finch West would be open before the DRL opens, and perhaps the Crosstown extensions as well.

I'd assume they'll just draw a straight line between Kennedy and Scarborough Centre.

Finch West would be open before the DRL opens, and perhaps the Crosstown extensions as well.

From the recently posted timelines, both Finch West and Crosstown extensions will likely be open before the DRL starts construction.

Assuming DRL and SSE based on most recent proposals:

View attachment 78300

What's wrong with the current name of Osgoode? I can't see it being changed into a hyphenated, 6-syllable name when it's already unique and there's no risk of confusion when you're on the DRL.

If anything, it would be awesome if the TTC dug up its "University Line Renaissance" below the line budget item and renovated Queen like it did to Museum, the plan being to change Osgoode to "Opera", and maybe make it resemble something like the Moscow metro.

Back