936     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I concur. Using the 2006 Census, there's over 265,000 people in northwest Mississauga (north of the 403, west of Hurontario). That's a big chunk of population that shouldn't be ignored; about 40% of Mississauga's population. In fact, that one quarter of Mississauga is home to more people than the entire city of Vaughan. By comparison, only 11% of Mississauga's population lives south of the QEW. Milton could add at least 100,000 more people to that corridor.

With fare integration and frequent trains, such a re-routed line could easily become a "Mississauga subway". Mississauga Transit routes could be re-designed to a hub-and-spoke operation from the train stations, where you would change to a quick train direct to "downtown" Mississauga, change at Kipling for Etobicoke, change at Dundas West for UofT and the west end, and stay on for Downtown Toronto.

You could get really ambitious and 4-track it, to allow for an express/local combination. Add in more stops at major arterials, and then leave the current stops for the express trains. But that's very much a pipe dream.

Current timefame has Phase 1 bringing the express train to Cooksvile by 2033. Phase 2 would extend it to MCC sometime after 2033. Nothing to say it couldn't go further than MCC one day. MCC will be a huge transport hub long before 2033 ... perhaps we should discuss where to extend it then - it might be clearer. Assuming that Metrolinx delivers on the timeframe it gave out in 2008.

I'm looking at the plan and I see no mention of bringing Express Rail to MCC. Could you please point me towards where you are reading this in Metrolinx's plans?

Current timefame has Phase 1 bringing the express train to Cooksvile by 2033. Phase 2 would extend it to MCC sometime after 2033. Nothing to say it couldn't go further than MCC one day. MCC will be a huge transport hub long before 2033 ... perhaps we should discuss where to extend it then - it might be clearer. Assuming that Metrolinx delivers on the timeframe it gave out in 2008.

I wonder if Mississauga could request that some of its transit dollars go to completing the "Mississauga subway" (rerouting the GO line) earlier than Metrolinx forecasts. I would imagine that if they were to give up money earmarked for other projects, that Metrolinx may go for it. For the people who live in Mississauga, which do you think will have a greater overall benefit: rerouting the Milton GO line through MCC/upgrading service on it as well, or a Hurontario LRT? My bet is on the rerouting of the GO line. You could likely do the configuration that I mentioned up there for between $2 and $2.5 billion, about the same as what's projected for the Hurontario LRT, no?

Last edited:
All the maps Metrolinx has published have the Milton Express terminating at Cooksville though.
I've never seen a Metrolinx map of the post-25 year longer-term projects. So that wouldn't surprise me ... have you seen a map with any of the other post-25 year projects on?

Thanks. To be fair, that page doesn't list it as a planned line, but just a "project for analysis".
True ... though it also says that during the first comprehensive review (which I would assume would be in 2013), " these projects may also be recommended for earlier implementation"

Well I don't think anyone here debates why the subway was extended to york university! it is justified.

York U said that they do NOT want buses to enter the campus once the subway comes so then Steeles West was the bare minimum necesasaary.

Then vaughan looked at it and said "well if its gonna reach steeles west, might as well give it a small push north to a true terminus"

And we can all agree that in the long term, vaughan metropolitan centre is a better subway terminus than a steeles west station beside a ups facility!

Could the extension have been phased in? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure its cheaper to do it all at once. And really...its just an extra 2km. But the benefit I see immideately is the new 407 station that will be the next "york mills" GO Bus mega gateway for the entire region!

These 2 extra stations have the most potential for growth more than any other stations on the extension (save for maybe keele/finch)

Highly disagree. If the subway stops at Steeles west (and yes it's no more arbitrary than Finch or Kipling or VMC) the funds for the subway could have built a VIVA LRT from Steeles west all the way up to Vaughan Mills, Canada's Wonderland, the development that is happening at Jane and Rutherford (vs being only planned at VMC) , and maybe even the hospital planned at Major Mackenzie. Thus creating a much wider catchement area, granted at the expense of a transfer at Steeles. A Go station at hwy 7 (relocate the poorly planned York station) would handle the long haul routes and the LRT+Subway would handle the local routes.

Highly disagree. If the subway stops at Steeles west (and yes it's no more arbitrary than Finch or Kipling or VMC) the funds for the subway could have built a VIVA LRT from Steeles west all the way up to Vaughan Mills, Canada's Wonderland, the development that is happening at Jane and Rutherford (vs being only planned at VMC) , and maybe even the hospital planned at Major Mackenzie. Thus creating a much wider catchement area, granted at the expense of a transfer at Steeles. A Go station at hwy 7 (relocate the poorly planned York station) would handle the long haul routes and the LRT+Subway would handle the local routes.

Steeles West is worse than Kipling or Finch because it is just one stop short of the prime destination (York University). Its exactly like Scarborough RT ending at McCowan. Nobody wants to go there. The entire train empties out at Scarborough Town Centre.

Now imagine you had an interchange for changing transit modes at McCowan instead of Scarborough Town Centre...How ridiculous would that be? It is exactly the same for Steeles West and York University.

Then one questions...should the LRT end at York University? Yes it should but York is vehemently opposed to having its campus as a gigantic bus terminal/transit mode....so then where does this LRT switchover go?

And so as you can see...the problem just gets worse and worse...

Don't you think that Vaughan Corporate Centre is a far better transit interchange than Steeles West? You have a junction with E-W Viva Hwy 7 Services plus a chance to also have a N-S Jane Service that serves Vaughan Mills/Wonderland/Hospital

It also serves a regional transit station at 407 for commuters far away in brampton/mississauga and beyond. It also siphons many hwy 400 commuters into the system, which relieves alot of the traffic down at the 401/400 bottleneck

I do understand your point but the problem is...we can't build odd transfer points like Downsview or Kennedy or Don Mills or Kipling anymore. Vaughan Corporate Centre is a much better transfer point than Steeles West.

As much as everyone is skeptical of this subway extension because of how Sheppard turned out, i think this project is far more logical and thought out than the Sheppard Subway. The only stop that will be a dead hole in the ground will be Downsview Park (Sheppard West)...i think the TTC should have deferred that station for the future...oh well

Last edited:
A Go station at hwy 7 (relocate the poorly planned York station) would handle the long haul routes and the LRT+Subway would handle the local routes.

The (indeed poorly located) York University GO station will be relocated to Sheppard West, not Hwy 7. The GO station planned at Hwy 7 (Concord Station) is a separate project and will be built after Sheppard West/Downsview Park Station opens in 2015.

Steeles West is worse than Kipling or Finch because it is just one stop short of the prime destination (York University). Its exactly like Scarborough RT ending at McCowan. Nobody wants to go there. The entire train empties out at Scarborough Town Centre.

If the subway ended at Steeles, it would make sense for buses to continue on to York U, despite the universities stupid whining about buses. What bothers you about McCowan anyway? No buses terminate there, so it doesn't add a transfer for people going to STC. It also didn't add any cost to the RT project since the yard is located east of there anyway.

Then one questions...should the LRT end at York University? Yes it should but York is vehemently opposed to having its campus as a gigantic bus terminal/transit mode....so then where does this LRT switchover go?

And so as you can see...the problem just gets worse and worse...

So a bus terminal is now a problem? Last time I checked, transit nodes were very valuable locations.

Don't you think that Vaughan Corporate Centre is a far better transit interchange than Steeles West? You have a junction with E-W Viva Hwy 7 Services plus a chance to also have a N-S Jane Service that serves Vaughan Mills/Wonderland/Hospital

It also serves a regional transit station at 407 for commuters far away in brampton/mississauga and beyond. It also siphons many hwy 400 commuters into the system, which relieves alot of the traffic down at the 401/400 bottleneck

Absolutely, Vaughan Centre and 407 stations will be beneficial. What WoodbridgeHeights is arguing is that an LRT would be more beneficial. And, BTW, I do think that Steeles West makes a better terminus than VCC, due to the space for the aforementioned "gigantic bus terminal/transit node".

Last edited:
I wonder if Mississauga could request that some of its transit dollars go to completing the "Mississauga subway" (rerouting the GO line) earlier than Metrolinx forecasts. I would imagine that if they were to give up money earmarked for other projects, that Metrolinx may go for it. For the people who live in Mississauga, which do you think will have a greater overall benefit: rerouting the Milton GO line through MCC/upgrading service on it as well, or a Hurontario LRT? My bet is on the rerouting of the GO line. You could likely do the configuration that I mentioned up there for between $2 and $2.5 billion, about the same as what's projected for the Hurontario LRT, no?

First I might suggest the mods move the Mississauga talk to a different thread. Doesn't really belong in the Transit City thread. Maybe a Metrolinx thread or a Mississauga thread.

Anyway, I don't see anyone redirecting funds from the Hurontario LRT to rerouting the Milton Line. I think both projects stand on their own. Hurontario is the core of the Mississauga Transit network. After all these studies, it's inconceivable to try to throw that out.

It is up to Metrolinx to push the rerouting of Milton through MCC, and Mississauga should push them to do that. Once it's rerouted, then you can increase the frequencies to say every 10-15 minutes. That would be more than sufficient in my view. Once that is done, we can take a look at extending Bloor west to MCC eventually.

But will they take the bait? And who'll really own the subway?

I'm pretty sure we'll be paying much more in the years to come.

Not quite sure how the financial arrangements will work, but essentially the city is taking on a liability to pay for the subway line. So Toronto will be taking on debt to put extra money on top of the province's contribution into the new transit plan. Interesting...

When will the plan be out anyway?

Back