Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
That is what happened to Morningside Mall in Scarborough. In 2007 it was the same mall I went to in 1992 and even in 1992 it was dated. That particular mall had not changed since the 1970s and as such nobody wanted to go there despite being the only mall in the area. Even Wal-Mart abandoned it.

That said.. if the eaton centre still had its mid 1990s appearance nobody would go there. It would be that dingy unattractive mall you avoid.
Lawrence Square had the original 1989 vibe until it was thoroughly renovated as Lawrence Allen Centre.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Lawrence Square had the original 1989 vibe until it was thoroughly renovated as Lawrence Allen Centre.
Which I guess explains why I've never in my life been inside Lawrence Square. I've seen it from the outside and it told me everything I needed to know about what was inside.

utwatch

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much as this mall updates. To me it feels not much different then your average large mall in Ontario.

For how many people are moving to the city and downtown, I think the city could support expansion upwards. Maybe 3 more floors. Offer different experiences, for example a floor dedicated to mostly restaurants or cafes. Have some recreational areas like a rock climbing studio, a arcade zone like the one Cineplex is opening in other malls. A floor with Indy retail stalls or a small food market.

Make the mall a destination, that offers something extra others don't. I know it's improved alot over the past recent years but think more could be done.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
As much as this mall updates. To me it feels not much different then your average large mall in Ontario.

For how many people are moving to the city and downtown, I think the city could support expansion upwards. Maybe 3 more floors. Offer different experiences, for example a floor dedicated to mostly restaurants or cafes. Have some recreational areas like a rock climbing studio, a arcade zone like the one Cineplex is opening in other malls. A floor with Indy retail stalls or a small food market.

Make the mall a destination, that offers something extra others don't. I know it's improved alot over the past recent years but think more could be done.
If the mall were to add new floors, the ceiling would have to be lifted (and the additional floors would need additional parking).

However, the mall cannot be extended downwards (there's a buried creek under the mall).

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
If the mall were to add new floors, the ceiling would have to be lifted (and the additional floors would need additional parking).

However, the mall cannot be extended downwards (there's a buried creek under the mall).
Technically it can but it would require encapsulating the creek. I mean who doesn't want a shopping mall 10 km underground :p

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Technically it can but it would require encapsulating the creek. I mean who doesn't want a shopping mall 10 km underground :p
By encapsulating the creek, the Eaton Centre could be built downwards (and be less disruptive than raising the ceiling). It would also allow the Eaton Centre to have geothermal heating.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
By encapsulating the creek, the Eaton Centre could be built downwards (and be less disruptive than raising the ceiling). It would also allow the Eaton Centre to have geothermal heating.
I wonder what the theoretical maximum depth is for a shopping mall? I presume there is something in the fire code that says they can only go so deep before emergency staircases are ineffective.

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
Or they could just make use of already existing, ill used and low return “floor space” and convert the parking lot to retail. Especially prescient given the city has a pedestrian only option on the table for Downtown Yonge.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Or they could just make use of already existing, ill used and low return “floor space” and convert the parking lot to retail. Especially prescient given the city has a pedestrian only option on the table for Downtown Yonge.
To do that they would need to knock down the parking garage which is connected to the Yonge Street facade.

Not an easy task.

Tunafish13

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why dont they make the underground creek a water feature? That'd be one hell of a tourist attraction and would mean you could still build around it

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why dont they make the underground creek a water feature? That'd be one hell of a tourist attraction and would mean you could still build around it
These days, it's more of a sewer than a creek. Not sure we'd want to show that off to tourists.

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
These days, its more of a sewer than a creek. Not sure we'd want to show that off to tourists.
And also, it leads to Lake Ontario. It'd serve as garbage depot for lazy EC tourists and just add to overall pollution further, harming any wildlife that currently lives in/traverses that creek.