Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

There’s a lot worth preserving about the Eaton Centre, some of it already gone, but this facade is not it. This is a dilapidated facade with broken tiles and cracked concrete that has been piled on unceremoniously over decades. The nicer facades were on Yonge and on Dundas. Preserving the Eaton Centre’s 70s look is no longer possible. That ship has sailed.
I'd love to peel back the garbage, 90s, Potemkin, Yonge Street facade and bring back the more complex, high-tech expression that used to be there. Much wider sidewalks too!

f0124_fl0003_id0188.jpg

It wasn't perfect urbanistically but was miles ahead design-wise than the current pastiche. I can't help but think that CF will address this soon. Even though nobody, including me, will probably be very happy with what they propose.

I can’t imagine CF would do anything that would result in a loss of square footage they’ve gained from that redo - it was a small amount for the amount of money put in, but I can see them hedging on the city’s own Yonge plans.

What really should be questioned is the judgement of planners and decision makers that signed off on this plan that traded public space for private property of such poor quality.

AoD

I think CF did a pretty decent job with the North side of the Rideau Centre in Ottawa during the latest renovation there. It's pretty much all street-facing entrances for stores or restaurants that only open to the street now. It would probably require reorgansing a lot of units in the Eaton Centre to do something similar though.

I can’t imagine CF would do anything that would result in a loss of square footage they’ve gained from that redo - it was a small amount for the amount of money put in, but I can see them hedging on the city’s own Yonge plans.

What really should be questioned is the judgement of planners and decision makers that signed off on this plan that traded public space for private property of such poor quality.

AoD
I would assume that the original Eaton Centre east side set back was on its own property. Not a heck of a lot the city can do if that was the case. The result is beyond unfortunate though...

They did a really great job with this:

IMG_4485.jpeg

One thing I'd have loved to have seen is if they'd extended that cylindrical corner all the way down to the sidewalk, like it used to be originally. The Uniqlo and Samsung store facades create a bland monotonous break. Maybe some time in the future when the Samsung store vacates the space. Here's hoping...

The glass used in the BMO facade is beautiful. I'd love to see them rebuild the atrium/podium in that.

Last edited:
I agree with the comment about the Mies clones, especially the one on Bay which morphs into a weird Pomo International style fusion as it reaches the stock exchange building. They’re weird and confusing since it’s unclear aside from a small plaque on site that states Mies only designed 77 King, 100 Wellington and the pavilion, but I am not sure I agree re; the fonts.

If you’re a fan of architecture and know about the history of the complex, that section of the path is really luxurious and exciting because of all of the details you know to look for (I once mentioned the tile ceilings in the lobby of 77 King to someone who had worked in the complex for 7 years without ever noticing them). However, to the average person who might be passing through the concourse comes across as dim, confusing and oppressive right down to the awkward hinge doors you need to pass through to enter the complex. The single file escalators and hard to notice signage means you’re never really sure which building of the complex you’re under, and a few are accessible only via obscure and foreboding small hallways which shoot off of the main retail concourse.

I'd love to peel back the garbage, 90s, Potemkin, Yonge Street facade and bring back the more complex, high-tech expression that used to be there. Much wider sidewalks too!

f0124_fl0003_id0188.jpg
+1.

The Eaton Centre has slowly been desecrated by 1000 cuts over the last 4 decades (well, really 2). I understand the realities of operating a modern shopping complex and the requirements to constantly update, but I would appreciate it if they had put a bit more effort of integrating the spirit of the original design. The only real significant part that seems to be left is the glass roof which is in itself in really poor condition. While I'm pretty young, I even recall the mall with the original handrails and the large amounts of greenery on the interior. That spirit is all gone now beyond the fountain.

+1.

The Eaton Centre has slowly been desecrated by 1000 cuts over the last 4 decades (well, really 2). I understand the realities of operating a modern shopping complex and the requirements to constantly update, but I would appreciate it if they had put a bit more effort of integrating the spirit of the original design. The only real significant part that seems to be left is the glass roof which is in itself in really poor condition. While I'm pretty young, I even recall the mall with the original handrails and the large amounts of greenery on the interior. That spirit is all gone now beyond the fountain.

They didn't even bother to replace all of the old handrails. Some are still there if you look up.

+1.

I loved the original Eaton Centre with its white handrails and lush plants and trees everywhere at different levels. I deeply miss the Cineplex Odeon with its own Dundas atrium. It played a central role in my childhood.

Malls however are by nature meant to evolve. Stores change and update their own designs. Malls that don't evolve start to look outdated and people gravitate to the fresh new place. I remember the Galleria Mall was always full of people in the 80s. Unlike anything I've seen in Toronto, it got completely frozen in time. I'm fairly certain that the gum ball machine by the entrance is the same one I used to put dimes into when I was 8 years old. The mall didn't change, and it died.

If you look closely, the Eaton Centre's latest wave to refresh its appearance came after Yorkdale's 2000s expansions. That mall started to get busier and busier as they rebuilt Yorkdale to modern standards. It even has an Eaton Centre inspired atrium, albeit with modern materials. Soon after, Cadillac Fairview started making announcements to tenants that they'd be making their own updates.

This is a competition. Malls are built as evolving canvasses and they must evolve to the detriment of our childhood memories.

Back