Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why dont they make the underground creek a water feature? That'd be one hell of a tourist attraction and would mean you could still build around it
These days, it's more of a sewer than a creek. Not sure we'd want to show that off to tourists.

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
These days, its more of a sewer than a creek. Not sure we'd want to show that off to tourists.
And also, it leads to Lake Ontario. It'd serve as garbage depot for lazy EC tourists and just add to overall pollution further, harming any wildlife that currently lives in/traverses that creek.

eltodesukane

Member Bio
Reaction score
"...look at the Atrium..."
The Atrium should have a direct open underground connection with the Eaton Center.
Being so isolated right next to the Eaton Center is a major weakness.

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
It sort of does via Dundas Station.
It’s a bit hidden, especially if you’re not aware it’s there. To go between the EC and the atrium requires going through 3 sets of doors and up a flight of stairs.
If they moved the newsstand and stairs further east (and preserved the McElchern tiles) a straight (visual and pedestrian) line from the Eaton centre to the atrium could be possible. It’d then be long enough to get rid of the weird stair vestibule and ramp it or do a subtler split staircase—and get rid of at least one set of those doors.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I loved the original Eaton Centre with its white handrails and lush plants and trees everywhere at different levels. I deeply miss the Cineplex Odeon with its own Dundas atrium. It played a central role in my childhood.

Malls however are by nature meant to evolve. Stores change and update their own designs. Malls that don't evolve start to look outdated and people gravitate to the fresh new place. I remember the Galleria Mall was always full of people in the 80s. Unlike anything I've seen in Toronto, it got completely frozen in time. I'm fairly certain that the gum ball machine by the entrance is the same one I used to put dimes into when I was 8 years old. The mall didn't change, and it died.

If you look closely, the Eaton Centre's latest wave to refresh its appearance came after Yorkdale's 2000s expansions. That mall started to get busier and busier as they rebuilt Yorkdale to modern standards. It even has an Eaton Centre inspired atrium, albeit with modern materials. Soon after, Cadillac Fairview started making announcements to tenants that they'd be making their own updates.

This is a competition. Malls are built as evolving canvasses and they must evolve to the detriment of our childhood memories.
To be honest, though the competition is good, the old mall style of a lot of warm colors and vegetation existed in plenty of malls many of which are now dead. The reality is a central shopping center in the fourth largest city in North America doesn't need to be cozy to get TONS of traffic. That being said I don't hate the new design per se I do agree that things have become quite muddled though. The building is filled with odd nooks and crannies from a bygone time and there's definitely a lot lacking in terms of bathrooms etc. like the Eaton Centre not only has tiny bathrooms but the uptake is incredibly poor given this is CF's flagship property.

As much as this mall updates. To me it feels not much different then your average large mall in Ontario.

For how many people are moving to the city and downtown, I think the city could support expansion upwards. Maybe 3 more floors. Offer different experiences, for example a floor dedicated to mostly restaurants or cafes. Have some recreational areas like a rock climbing studio, a arcade zone like the one Cineplex is opening in other malls. A floor with Indy retail stalls or a small food market.

Make the mall a destination, that offers something extra others don't. I know it's improved alot over the past recent years but think more could be done.
I agree, and as someone who had a choice for quite a while, I usually chose Yorkdale for its more varied retail offering and generally more sensible store sizes. The Eaton Centre right now doesn't really have anything super special to it which is too bad given it's one of the best possible locations in the city.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
It would be better to implode the eaton centre and rebuild it.
While we are at it, the new Eaton Centre can be built above Yonge Street and also be on both sides of Yonge Street (the original façades can be retained).

Many cities have arterial roads that run under buildings. Seneca One Tower, Buffalo's tallest building, is constructed over Main Street (a few years before the MetroRail was constructed).

Last edited:

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't imagine why anyone would want the site of the Eaton Centre to be a construction site for the better part of a decade.

Just open it up to Yonge Street and call it a day.
The construction over at Union Station has been good practice for us. I feel like we're ready for another 10+ year construction project ;)