Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Malls however are by nature meant to evolve. Stores change and update their own designs. Malls that don't evolve start to look outdated and people gravitate to the fresh new place. I remember the Galleria Mall was always full of people in the 80s. Unlike anything I've seen in Toronto, it got completely frozen in time. I'm fairly certain that the gum ball machine by the entrance is the same one I used to put dimes into when I was 8 years old. The mall didn't change, and it died

That is what happened to Morningside Mall in Scarborough. In 2007 it was the same mall I went to in 1992 and even in 1992 it was dated. That particular mall had not changed since the 1970s and as such nobody wanted to go there despite being the only mall in the area. Even Wal-Mart abandoned it.

That said.. if the eaton centre still had its mid 1990s appearance nobody would go there. It would be that dingy unattractive mall you avoid.

if the eaton centre still had its mid 1990s appearance nobody would go there. It would be that dingy unattractive mall you avoid.

I do think people have a hard time accepting this. Without going through allowing the mall to remain dated, we can't know for sure but I do believe that if they hadn't refreshed the look of the Eaton Centre to make it "new again", that people would choose to go to Yorkdale to spend their day. Of course, being downtown, the Eaton Centre would still be busy but then again, look at the Atrium. It's right there at the crossroads of Canada's busiest pedestrian intersection and on some days you could bowl down the empty halls.

Still, I think that Cadillac Fairview could embrace more of the details that gave Eaton Centre its personality in the 80s. Right now, it's too sterile. Bring back the lush trees and bring back places to sit.

Then again...

I mean... look at how lush the Eaton Centre was.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.44.13 PM.png

20140917-Eaton-Centre-Trees-Alt.jpg

20140917-Eaton-Centre-Trees.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, being downtown, the Eaton Centre would still be busy but then again, look at the Atrium. It's right there at the crossroads of Canada's busiest pedestrian intersection and on some days you could bowl down the empty halls.

I used to work at the Atrium in 2007 and even then it was a dive. Back then you had the Ontario Tourism store, Blacks and the Pickle Barrel which were worth seeing. I was in there recently and it is more office tower than it is a mall. It screams 1980s.

That is what happened to Morningside Mall in Scarborough. In 2007 it was the same mall I went to in 1992 and even in 1992 it was dated. That particular mall had not changed since the 1970s and as such nobody wanted to go there despite being the only mall in the area. Even Wal-Mart abandoned it.

That said.. if the eaton centre still had its mid 1990s appearance nobody would go there. It would be that dingy unattractive mall you avoid.
Lawrence Square had the original 1989 vibe until it was thoroughly renovated as Lawrence Allen Centre.

Lawrence Square had the original 1989 vibe until it was thoroughly renovated as Lawrence Allen Centre.

Which I guess explains why I've never in my life been inside Lawrence Square. I've seen it from the outside and it told me everything I needed to know about what was inside.

As much as this mall updates. To me it feels not much different then your average large mall in Ontario.

For how many people are moving to the city and downtown, I think the city could support expansion upwards. Maybe 3 more floors. Offer different experiences, for example a floor dedicated to mostly restaurants or cafes. Have some recreational areas like a rock climbing studio, a arcade zone like the one Cineplex is opening in other malls. A floor with Indy retail stalls or a small food market.

Make the mall a destination, that offers something extra others don't. I know it's improved alot over the past recent years but think more could be done.

As much as this mall updates. To me it feels not much different then your average large mall in Ontario.

For how many people are moving to the city and downtown, I think the city could support expansion upwards. Maybe 3 more floors. Offer different experiences, for example a floor dedicated to mostly restaurants or cafes. Have some recreational areas like a rock climbing studio, a arcade zone like the one Cineplex is opening in other malls. A floor with Indy retail stalls or a small food market.

Make the mall a destination, that offers something extra others don't. I know it's improved alot over the past recent years but think more could be done.
If the mall were to add new floors, the ceiling would have to be lifted (and the additional floors would need additional parking).

However, the mall cannot be extended downwards (there's a buried creek under the mall).

If the mall were to add new floors, the ceiling would have to be lifted (and the additional floors would need additional parking).

However, the mall cannot be extended downwards (there's a buried creek under the mall).

Technically it can but it would require encapsulating the creek. I mean who doesn't want a shopping mall 10 km underground :p

Technically it can but it would require encapsulating the creek. I mean who doesn't want a shopping mall 10 km underground :p
By encapsulating the creek, the Eaton Centre could be built downwards (and be less disruptive than raising the ceiling). It would also allow the Eaton Centre to have geothermal heating.

By encapsulating the creek, the Eaton Centre could be built downwards (and be less disruptive than raising the ceiling). It would also allow the Eaton Centre to have geothermal heating.

I wonder what the theoretical maximum depth is for a shopping mall? I presume there is something in the fire code that says they can only go so deep before emergency staircases are ineffective.

Or they could just make use of already existing, ill used and low return “floor space” and convert the parking lot to retail. Especially prescient given the city has a pedestrian only option on the table for Downtown Yonge.

Or they could just make use of already existing, ill used and low return “floor space” and convert the parking lot to retail. Especially prescient given the city has a pedestrian only option on the table for Downtown Yonge.

To do that they would need to knock down the parking garage which is connected to the Yonge Street facade.

Not an easy task.

Back