Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Why wouldn't Cadillac Fairview want to promote their brand? And this isn't just about getting shoppers into the mall. They do a lot of work trying to attract new office clients. This is a cost-effective way to use the space they own to promote themselves. I'd do the same thing.

Gotta agree with Ed. Plus what's so precious about this building's roof (they plunked extra mechanical on top years ago). Eaton Centre remains a CF legacy project and surprised they haven't included it in the signage.

A block north is a mega clutter of signage (with mixed results) and this CF sign reminds me of the "old fashioned name game" that used to/still appears in major cities.

Not every sign needs to be a perfect "S" imbedded in red granite. Bring on the roof signage... bad use of energy but welcome light clutter to Yonge area lol. Residents can close their curtains. My first trip to New York - fun to see the mayhem of light. Corny but inspiring.

BMO should do the same thing ;-). TD ... do nothing, sacred ground of course.

If you have a Chrysler Building spire, leave it alone. If you have an '80s forgettable tower that is HQ... throw a sign on the roof.

Got to have clutter to mess with "perfect" planning. That's the urbantoronto I want.

If you have a Chrysler Building spire, leave it alone. If you have an '80s forgettable tower that is HQ... throw a sign on the roof.

The reason why it's "forgettable" is that it was designed as a minimalist tower that wouldn't disrupt or compete with views of Old City Hall from Nathan Phillips Square. While I don't think the sign will ruin views completely, it goes against the spirit of the original planning. People pointing their cameras to Old City Hall's beautiful facade may have a garish CF sign in the background when it's completed.

The reason why it's "forgettable" is that it was designed as a minimalist tower that wouldn't disrupt or compete with views of Old City Hall from Nathan Phillips Square. While I don't think the sign will ruin views completely, it goes against the spirit of the original planning. People pointing their cameras to Old City Hall's beautiful facade may have a garish CF sign in the background when it's completed.

So true. Great point.

Given there are thousands of unchanged shots of that view already in the bank... maybe the collision/dialogue will not be garish but appropriate... change happens as residents are often warned. So maybe an new photographic juxtaposition will be interesting. Or not.

I have no issue with Cadillac Fairview pushing the CF with its office properties, although they somehow seem to do so in the tackiest manner compared to the Brookfields and the Oxfords of the world (and I agree with @junctionist's point about 20 Queen, and disagree with @3Dementia's point about how many images are already "in the bank"), but the CF logo is just dumb on its shopping centres.

Nice to see it works structurally and able to support Black Friday shoppers!

Eaton1.jpg

Eaton2.jpg

Eaton3.jpg

Eaton4.jpg

Eaton5.jpg

Attachments

• Eaton1.jpg
    Eaton1.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Eaton2.jpg
    Eaton2.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 606
  • Eaton3.jpg
    Eaton3.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Eaton4.jpg
    Eaton4.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 603
  • Eaton5.jpg
    Eaton5.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 451
Id be interested to know if more people have crossed the new bridge than the old bridge. Personally I believe that good design pays so I’d love that to be the case.

I doubt it. Your main reason to use the bridge is to get from one point to another. It might be a nice looking bridge, but it's still a bridge.

The bridge is definitely drawing people to it, and maybe more shoppers through it to the south side. I always see either people taking selfies on it, doing photo shoots with others, and people walking it just for the sake of walking it. You can see it as they look around while they go through, like they've never been there before (whether they actually have or not). Some of those must end up doing some shopping in Hudson's Bay and Saks that otherwise might not have. I'm not saying its doubling their business, but I think the bridge is meant to draw more people over it than the last one did, and from my casual observations it seems to be working.

When it was under construction, someone noticed that there is LED lighting on the bottom. However, this LED lighting has not made an appearance. Anyone know anything about this?

Back