News   Jul 19, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 593     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

8 per car?
Jaywalking is crossing at a crossing, on red. It is a crime.

Crossing in other locations, such as mid-block (or the far end of the platform) isn't classified as jaywalking and is perfectly legal, as long as there no signs indicating otherwise. And perfectly safe if no cars are about. Not one person has ever been hit by a car, when there were no cars about. Sadly the same is not true for those crossing on a pedestrian signal at an intersection.

(well, almost no person has been hit by a car, when there were none about - there's one or two odd stories about cars flying off of elevated expressways or bridges, and landing on an unfortunate soul - though it cares not whether you are on the sidewalk, or standing in the middle of the road)

Two nitpicks. 1) A violation of the Highway Traffic Act is not, strictly speaking, a criminal offence. 2) Crossing the road on foot in a manner that fails to give right of way to vehicles is a violation of the city's Municipal Code.

http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/68/101000049368.html

- Paul

Two nitpicks. 1) A violation of the Highway Traffic Act is not, strictly speaking, a criminal offence. 2) Crossing the road on foot in a manner that fails to give right of way to vehicles is a violation of the city's Municipal Code.
Two more nitpicks.

I said crime, not criminal offence. The definition of crime is broad enough that it covers both violations of the criminal code, and many other ticketable offence. It also covers other stuff too - such the crime of dipping French Fries in mayonnaise. Though I agree that using crime is somewhat ambiguous - so I've edited my text.

My second nitpick, is I said "when there are no vehicles around". I'm not aware of how one would fail to give right of way to vehicles, when there are no vehicles around. The key is while not giving way is a violation - if there's nothing to give away to, there is no violation on a municipal road (well, I assume there's some other regulation to cover things like the Gardiner, Allen, and DVP ... but none of those have bus stops along them).

I'm not the first to say that I'm unimpressed with the lack of protection from the elements for the surface stops. Whoever wrote that it provides protection from rain clearly hasn't been outside today and seen what rain does when you add wind.

View attachment 104266

View attachment 104267

This is what happens when non-transit, auto-addicted, penny-pinching executives make decisions on design. I'm going to send comments on the "non-shelters" to crosstown@metrolinx.com, and I hope you do too.

Last edited:
This is what happens when non-transit, auto-addicted, penny-pinching executives make decisions on design. I'm going to send comments on the "non-shelters" to crosstown@metrolinx.com, and I hope you do too.
St Clair ROW used as a model to transit city is clearly applying here. It's actually an upgrade from Spadian and St Clair. GO train platform lacks protection too. The best they can do is probably a complete roof cover over the platform like Rosedale. A glass shelter with doors would face accessibility problems and these platforms are way too smaller for them. There only like 1.5 or 2m wide.

If Rosedale & Davisville Stations can use a "cheap" outdoor platform cover, so can the outdoor stops on the Crosstown.

TorYr1.jpeg

4-79085F51-949344-800.jpg

Davisville_Station_looking_north.jpg

urbantoronto-4802-14599.jpg

Then people are surprised about the negativity surrounding LRT in the city. For Godsake, can't they do it right instead of half-ass it to open themselves to critics? :(

Then people are surprised about the negativity surrounding LRT in the city. For Godsake, can't they do it right instead of half-ass it to open themselves to critics? :(

So true. The average citizen has every right to ask the rabid LRT proponent "Show me one that works". Toronto does not have an example. Few people will be convinced by what goes on elsewhere. It has to be done locally.

The up side is - if we have a local success, people will demand more of same.

Why ML would be in such a hurry to do this one less than excellently is beyond me. If Crosstown is mediocre, it will be a decade before there is any interest in another one.

- Paul

It's Rosedale station that looks pathetic for a subway station, not that the crosstown stops look any good. This LRT looks bad, and not much of an upgrade from buses already.

It's a drastic drop off between the station designs of the underground more "privileged" areas of the City to these outdoor "shelters". In addition to the fact they are questionable practical weather cover, having such a discrepancy and lack of effort in design just feeds fuel to our current Poltical landscape of the inner suburbs getting the shorter end of the stick. Have to say this would be true here.

Last edited:
It's a drastic drop off between the station designs of the underground more "privileged" areas of the City to these outdoor "shelters". In addition to the fact they are questionable practical weather cover, having such a discrepancy and lack of effort in design just feeds fuel to our current Poltical landscape of the inner suburbs getting the shorter end of the stick. Have to say this would be true here.

That's a really odd thing to say - most of the at grade stations are in areas that are currently industrial/strip retail in nature - and they are at grade only because there is space for it.

And if you want to go on this route - perhaps keep in mind that Rosedale station (and Davisville) remained above ground despite being in "privileged" areas of the city for more than 50 years.

AoD

Back