News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 995     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The map says "Service operates at street level, typically in the centre of the roadway." It doesn't call it streetcar style. That's just someone's interpretation.

This map or a version of it should be on every TTC subway car.
Well the question is why the need to distinguish that? Its because its a different service type than the subway. They don't want people riding Line 5 east to Kennedy, expecting a subway level service, and all of a sudden they're in the middle of the street getting stuck behind red lights. Especially if someone's from Europe, he will never stop laughing about how we put a streetcar and pretended it was a subway sevice.

Well the question is why the need to distinguish that? Its because its a different service type than the subway. They don't want people riding Line 5 east to Kennedy, expecting a subway level service, and all of a sudden they're in the middle of the street getting stuck behind red lights. Especially if someone's from Europe, he will never stop laughing about how we put a streetcar and pretended it was a subway sevice.
Yes, exactly. I don't disagree that the surface section is a glorified streetcar, I'm just saying that Metrolinx doesn't call it that. As WK Lis pointed out, it's basically the same way that Boston handles the Green line.

Yes, exactly. I don't disagree that the surface section is a glorified streetcar, I'm just saying that Metrolinx doesn't call it that. As WK Lis pointed out, it's basically the same way that Boston handles the Green line.
The way its been sold to us is that "LRT are just surface subways". By distinguishing the LRT sections like this, its basically Metrolinx caving to the fact that these aren't just "Surface Subways"

The way its been sold to us is that "LRT are just surface subways". By distinguishing the LRT sections like this, its basically Metrolinx caving to the fact that these aren't just "Surface Subways"
Seems to me it's the same messaging we've been getting since about 2010. Do you not recall the similar conversations here about then?

Seems to me it's the same messaging we've been getting since about 2010. Do you not recall the similar conversations here about then?
Check my join date, Idk what's been going on here prior to 2020. However, from what I've seen from people on social media and IRL, a lot of people have a much grander idea of what Eglinton is vs what it actually is - many genuinely think its a new subway line.

Check my join date, Idk what's been going on here prior to 2020. However, from what I've seen from people on social media and IRL, a lot of people have a much grander idea of what Eglinton is vs what it actually is - many genuinely think its a new subway line.
You do know that "subway" is defined as an "underground electric railway"? Unless you're using a different dictionary.

The whole surface subway is a false narrative to begin with. Subway is anything underground whether it's a train or a walkway. It's essentially an oxymoron when you put those 2 words together. The correct way it should've been marketed as is a surface METRO. Problem is us torontoians are such in love with the term subways that we don't realise in reality we are taking an underground metro.

You do know that "subway" is defined as an "underground electric railway"? Unless you're using a different dictionary.
I know that's what it technically means, however idk why you're being pedantic about naming. Replace every instance of "subway" in my posts with "metro", the point remains the same.

Are you telling us that you are violating the forum's rules of not reading the posts in a thread without commenting?
We're on Page 1394, regardless if I read or didn't read the thread at some point, I would've forgotten it by now.
What @nfitz said was quite sour, expecting new users to read 1394 pages just to post in this thread? 🙄

Have some common sense and be the better person.

The Flexity Freedom cars are 30.8 m (65 ft 7 in) in length, and a width of 2.65 m (8 ft 8 in). Toronto Rocket subway cars are 23.190 m (76 ft 1 in) long and 3.124 m (10 ft 3 in) wide.

The New York City subway cars are in two different dimensions. "A" Division equipment is approximately 15.54 m (51 ft) in length, and 2.67 m (8 ft 9 in) wide. "B" Division cars, on the other hand, are about 3.05 m (10 ft) wide, and either 23.01 m (75 ft 6 in) or 18.44 m (60 ft 6 in) long. The PATH train cars are 16 m (51 ft) and 2.8 m (9.2 ft) wide.

The Flexity Freedom cars are 30.8 m (65 ft 7 in) in length, and a width of 2.65 m (8 ft 8 in). Toronto Rocket subway cars are 23.190 m (76 ft 1 in) long and 3.124 m (10 ft 3 in) wide.

The New York City subway cars are in two different dimensions. "A" Division equipment is approximately 15.54 m (51 ft) in length, and 2.67 m (8 ft 9 in) wide. "B" Division cars, on the other hand, are about 3.05 m (10 ft) wide, and either 23.01 m (75 ft 6 in) or 18.44 m (60 ft 6 in) long. The PATH train cars are 16 m (51 ft) and 2.8 m (9.2 ft) wide.
The Flexity Freedom cars are also low floor which means a ton of space is being used up by bogeys, what is your point?

Back