News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 954     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Had another semi-annual jaunt across Eglington from west to east yesterday.....man, that road is in rough shape. And not just for cars, add walkers and bikers in there as well. I cannot imagine biking Eglington. And I am not just speaking of the obvious areas affected by ongoing construction. It just looks like the city has abandoned the roadway.

So I am assuming as surface construction completes, these areas will all be restored to better then original condition. I did not really notice much in the way of signage for bikes on the easterly surface sections (and this was before the snow) so I am assuming these are part of the finishing details?

But this entire street, well the vast % of it, is so ripe for redevelopment. It really is a mean looking street in so many areas. There may be a few 'village' styles of neighborhood street blocks that with some judicious planning and new build infilling could be enhanced primarily as they are, and these are primarily in the west end, but for so much else, call a bulldozer.

I believe the Golden Mile section got repaved recently.
That part was fully rebuilt as a part of the crosstown so it was redone, yes.

The central part of Eglinton above the tunneled part of the Crosstown is a part of the "Eglinton Connects" project, which I believe may be supposed to be done between 2023 and 2024 by the City, not Metrolinx. @Northern Light might know more though a he keeps a close eye on budget items.

That part was fully rebuilt as a part of the crosstown so it was redone, yes.

The central part of Eglinton above the tunneled part of the Crosstown is a part of the "Eglinton Connects" project, which I believe may be supposed to be done between 2023 and 2024 by the City, not Metrolinx. @Northern Light might know more though a he keeps a close eye on budget items.

The City has only $15,000,000 set aside for Eglinton Connects right now, in the Transportation Capital Plan, it is entirely allocated to 2023.

Mx is responsible for rebuilding what they literally dug up (mostly at station sites); the City is responsible for anything else, generally.

So, there will definitely be some clean-up/restoration work, and some enhancements; but far short of what was contemplated in the original 'Eglinton Connects' unless new funds are found.

Source:

Refer to p.11

Had to do some digging to see what that leaves......

The City has 75M under 'unfunded needs' for Eglinton Connects, currently penciled in from 2027-2031

1645205838886.png

There may be a bit more than the 15M there, in so far as the Cycling program has 40M over the next 2 years, so the portion of the plan that relates directly to that may get some $$$.

Last edited:
makes sense.

ToInview does have bike lane installations listed across the entirety of eglinton for 2023, but nothing else.

Given the length of the road, I suspect the 15 million will be a simple resurfacing and cycle lane installation, with the full, higher quality rebuild outlined in Eglinton Connects coming later.

makes sense.

ToInview does have bike lane installations listed across the entirety of eglinton for 2023, but nothing else.

Given the length of the road, I suspect the 15 million will be a simple resurfacing and cycle lane installation, with the full, higher quality rebuild outlined in Eglinton Connects coming later.
No sense in paving the entire roadway if either one section is still under construction or they discover underground utility problems (leaking water-mains for example) and have to dig it up again. Once they make sure there are no more problems, will they repave everything at once, in the spring or summer.

That's when they have to dig it up to connect the utilities to a new building.

I couldn't find anything recent on this here or the project website: have the operating hours been confirmed yet? Is the whole line above and below ground to be 24 hours a day, and if it isn't 24 hours a day, are all or almost all of the connecting north-south bus routes going to have their service time extended to meet the "last train"? I am assuming this should be decided at this point, though I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting until they do a preliminary 2023 operating budget.

I couldn't find anything recent on this here or the project website: have the operating hours been confirmed yet? Is the whole line above and below ground to be 24 hours a day, and if it isn't 24-hours a day, are all the connecting north-south bus routes going to have service time extended to meet the "last train".
The proposed bus routes were recently released for the opening of the crosstown (there should be posts in this thread) including a blue night bus route for Eglinton.

The proposed bus routes were recently released for the opening of the crosstown (there should be posts in this thread) including a blue night bus route for Eglinton.
That is what prompted me ask the question about whether north-south bus routes that intersect the line will operate to meet the last train. I haven't seen any talk of specific late night operating hours of the line anywhere. Are those decisions final, or nearly final now; or are all of the operating hours still totally open for discussion and changes? Will the operating hours of connecting bus routes be changed to match the closing of train operations (regardless of some undefined overnight bus service) or will we have trains in the underground section drop people off at say 1:00 a.m. to a station which has no connecting buses in active service at that time?

Last edited:
That is what prompted me ask the question about whether north-south bus routes that intersect the line will operate to meet the last train. I haven't seen any talk of specific late night operating hours of the line anywhere. Are those decisions final, or nearly final now; or are all of the operating hours still totally open for discussion and changes? Will the operating hours of connecting bus routes be changed to match the closing of train operations (regardless of some undefined overnight bus service) or will we have trains in the underground section drop people off at say 1:00 a.m. to a station which has no connecting buses in active service at that time?
I suspect that there won't be any changes to the service hours of the crossing routes, and there likely won't even be substantial headway adjustments - at least at the start.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the operating hours of the routes - the hours that each route operates is dictated by its own traffic flows, not the flows of the subway. That's why there are some routes that end before the subway does, and others that end well after the last subway train has rolled through that station.

Dan

I suspect that there won't be any changes to the service hours of the crossing routes, and there likely won't even be substantial headway adjustments - at least at the start.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the operating hours of the routes - the hours that each route operates is dictated by its own traffic flows, not the flows of the subway. That's why there are some routes that end before the subway does, and others that end well after the last subway train has rolled through that station.

Dan
You forgot the Blue Night services.

ttc-night-bus-map.jpg
From link. Maybe the 352 Lawrence West should be extended from Sunnybrook Hospital to the Leaside Station on Eglinton & Bayview?

A shot of the former bus bay at Eglinton station on February 13, 2022:

View attachment 381157
Note that Line 1's Eglinton Station is still in operation and being used, under all that construction above them. Line 5's trains are also passing underneath, in testing mode. Likely the connections between Line 1 and Line 5 at Eglinton Station are being used by the construction workers to carry supplies and themselves.

Back